Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
In persuit of Efficiency

Bouble - '01 Toyota Echo 2 door
90 day: 41.62 mpg (US)
Engine idle speed

The goal of my mods is to eventually unload my Toyota Echo 1.5 L motor from the alternator (do the regen braking thing) the A/C (which I hardly ever use), and possibly make the water pump electric driven.

My question is the idle speed of the motor, will it change? And if so will it lower or increase? And am I going to see FE improvement when in idle?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
My question is the idle speed of the motor, will it change? And if so will it lower or increase? And am I going to see FE improvement when in idle?
The idle speed will remain the same. The ECU keeps a certain idle speed and adjusts the amount of fuel to stay there. You can observe this by suddenly turning on a large load when in idle (defroster, lights, etc.). The sudden load slows the engine down, but the ECU adds fuel and the rpms go back to normal.

If you take off your alternator or AC belt, then the load on the engine will be smaller, so less fuel will go into keeping it at idle speed.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Reply  Post New Thread