EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   convertible mods (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/convertible-mods-4138.html)

Roundtail 07-29-2008 12:31 AM

convertible mods

Have a 69 convertible alfa romeo. Use it as a daily driver and wanted to optimize efficiency. Anyone use zig zag tape on a convertible? WHere does it work best? Also saw a post of undercarriage covering with aluminum mesh. Anyone think the squares/holes in the mesh could also work as a turbulator (ie is not covering them up maybe good)?

Thanks

whokilledthejams 07-29-2008 07:09 AM

As for specific answers to your questions, I can't help you. However, I can say that you are a very brave man for depending on a 39 year old Italian car for transportation. Godspeed to you, sir!

KazukiFennec 07-29-2008 09:39 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas either, but I just wanted to say how jealous I am of you, the Duetto body Spider is simultaneously one of the most beautiful cars ever to grace a road, and one of the most fun-to-drive cars ever built.

aerohead 07-29-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roundtail (Post 48644)
Have a 69 convertible alfa romeo. Use it as a daily driver and wanted to optimize efficiency. Anyone use zig zag tape on a convertible? WHere does it work best? Also saw a post of undercarriage covering with aluminum mesh. Anyone think the squares/holes in the mesh could also work as a turbulator (ie is not covering them up maybe good)?

Thanks

I believe the turbulators are positioned within an inch(25mm) of the rear edge of the roof,just before it drops off,and also on the sides as well, towards the end of the pillar.As to the screen bellypan,I'm personally not convinced that it can even work.As a permiable membrane,I do not comprehend how it could serve as a flow support mechanism.It's probably better than "nothing",but beyond that I don't know.It's light weight would suggest superior performance,however,since it has not been adopted by supercar manufacturers as Bugatti,Lamborghini,Ferrari, etc.,that it has dubious practicality.Just my opinion.

Roundtail 07-29-2008 09:24 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. I have to say, for 11 grand or so it's a pretty great deal. The car has been absolutely reliable over the last year (not including the winter - I store her). On the Highway she gets about 27 MPG, but I'm putting in a taller rear diferential this fall which I expect should help some. Still, wind noise on a longer trip can be a little gueling, and I was quite excited at the prospect of using the zig zag tape. I thought I should actually put it on the top of the windshield. I gotta agree that "supercar" evidence against mesh is pretty good. It just seemed easier and more durable than putting plates of plastic or aluminum.

Thanks,

I'll come up with a plan....Appreciate any further guidance.