EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   converting 98 chevy metro to XFI (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/converting-98-chevy-metro-xfi-9311.html)

00. 07-19-2009 11:18 PM

converting 98 chevy metro to XFI

Hi I have thought about converting my 98 chevy metro to an xfi. I want start by chaingin the camshaft, there is a local shop here in Seattle that grinds the oem cam to xfi spec. But my question is how do I adjust the timming for the new camshaft, the timming on th 98 metro is electronic and is non adjustible according to the book that is the first year the metro uses electronic adjustible timming, so can I just put the xfi camshaft in and will the computer adjust the timming automaticaly??? I just don't think that it will do that automatically. I really hope I don't need the xfi ecu because they are hard to find, or can just swap my ecu for an older metro ecu??? I just don't know about the timming and also what all do I have to adjust to put the xfi cam in?? thanks for any help on this...

Johnny Mullet 07-20-2009 09:10 AM

Welcome to ecomodder. Simply drop in the cam and you should be good to go. I prefer using 3Tech economy cams since they are compatible with the 3Tech advanced timing gears for more power..........
3tech

00. 07-20-2009 02:27 PM

so as long as I put the cam back in by the specifications, the automatic timing adjustment will automaticaly adjust for the XFI cam???? Thats kind of strange, I just don't understand how that works. And how do I know I got the cam adjusted to the best timming possible for fuel consuption since I can't adjust the timming? or is there a way to adjust the timming I looked on my pulley and I have timming marks on the pulley, so I'm kind of confused here any more info please let me know on this... thanks, by the this is a great site.....

Johnny Mullet 07-20-2009 05:13 PM

You can adjust the ignition timing by turning the distributor. You can do it the hard way with a timing light, or advance it steps until you hear valve clatter (ping) on hills or accel and slowly retard and test drive until the ping goes away. When the ping is gone, this is maximum ignition timing and it will run better.

Advancing would be turning it clockwise when looking at it from the driver's side.

00. 07-23-2009 05:58 PM

So basically I would adjust the timming just as if it was a manual timming. See I don't know why they say that the timming is self adjusting on the 98 metro, I guess the computer fine tunes it asfter you set the timming??? But there is no timming settings for my car I guess you just eyeball it??? Well I will just have to give it a try. Let me know if you know any details on this computer controled timming, I guess I would just like to know how it all works. Thanks for all the help....

Johnny Mullet 07-24-2009 07:18 AM

Behind the glovebox is a jumper on 1998+ models. Older models have this plug on the left strut tower. If you look at the tag on the bottom side of the hood, this plug is mentioned for jumping to set timing. This jumper stops the PCM from it's auto timing adjustments so you can manually read the timing with a timing light, but no need to jump it if you are timing it by ear..........

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...tf/plug003.gif

dieselin 02-26-2010 08:04 PM

RE:XFI Cam and timing

Hey everyone, wondering,what happens after cam is dropped in,timing is manually set on a 1995 3cyl and not having xfi ecu, still works to bring fuel mpg
noticably up?Power loss or other side effects not mentioned yet?
Thought xfi version also had modded transmission and vehicle had noticably lighter curb weight,
What about wear and tear on engine,better longevity gains this area?
Like to mention this car is using about 1/2 quart oil every 2-3 fillups, hwy driving,hilly.Compression tested 2 yrs ago was well within good specs
I have not purchased the vehicle yet,present owner redid everything suspension and axles,dropped in used trans and engine
New gauge cluster,HID lghts to replace drl's
Straight body and interior+1000$ sound system,asking 1500$ for all

If this is too much in one post,understand,

DL