EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Coolant Additive (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/coolant-additive-29454.html)

TexasCotton 07-10-2014 01:03 PM

Coolant Additive

I put some Wetter Wet coolant additive with my Zerex 50/50. I guess I was a sucker for slick marketing and from what I can tell has not lower my coolant temps but rather increased them.

ecomodded 07-10-2014 01:22 PM

Maybe its removing more heat from the engine block - but I doubt it -

Is there any actually science to the additive or is it a mystery additive ?

Daox 07-10-2014 01:47 PM

Is your existing cooling system having problems dealing with the heat? I find that hard to believe unless you have a problem with it. Why add the additive in the first place?

TexasCotton 07-10-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 434663)
Maybe its removing more heat from the engine block - but I doubt it -

Is there any actually science to the additive or is it a mystery additive ?

Redline Wetter Wet is sold at Autozone, Summit and others .The claim is that reduce heat from motorcycles thru tractor trailors.. There are you tube video
I thought might have some basis or veracity just not finding
My normal temps about 181-184 f temp range but now has gone up to 186-190

TexasCotton 07-10-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 434664)
Is your existing cooling system having problems dealing with the heat? I find that hard to believe unless you have a problem with it. Why add the additive in the first place?

No issues just changed out coolant and thought would try it out. Apparently the 10 ten dollar bottle is a waste of time and money....

Daox 07-10-2014 04:16 PM

Well, the coolant temperature is controlled by your thermostat, not what liquid you have in the engine itself. The water wetter might help eliminate hot spots in the head or something, but in a non-modified engine I don't see that being a problem as the OEM has taken care of those sorts of things through design.

RobertISaar 07-10-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasCotton (Post 434701)
No issues just changed out coolant and thought would try it out. Apparently the 10 ten dollar bottle is a waste of time and money....

did you try running on just the new coolant or did you immediately add it in when you did the coolant drain/fill?

Cobb 07-10-2014 04:46 PM

Interesting..... I swear by it. I use a scan gauge 2 to monitor my water temp and its taken at the throttle body as the coolant circulates through it for what ever reason before the t stat. I notice with no water wetter My coolant hovers around 184 and climbs to 199 til the high speed fan comes on as the outside temp reaches room temp and my grill is blocked.

With some water wetter in the mix I notice the temp hovers around 179-181 at speed on the highway and high as 191 when accelerating.

nemo 07-10-2014 07:30 PM

Sure you got all the air out of the system?

Cobb 07-10-2014 10:21 PM

Good point. One reason you should measure the coolant going into the vehicle. I find when you add the water wetter it makes the coolant go in better and avoid the air traps. I always fill up the over flow bottle so if I miss some it can suck it out as needed and check it a day later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 434732)
Sure you got all the air out of the system?

nemo 07-11-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 434764)
Good point. One reason you should measure the coolant going into the vehicle. I find when you add the water wetter it makes the coolant go in better and avoid the air traps. I always fill up the over flow bottle so if I miss some it can suck it out as needed and check it a day later.

And run the heater.

redpoint5 07-12-2014 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasCotton (Post 434660)
I put some Wetter Wet coolant additive with my Zerex 50/50. I guess I was a sucker for slick marketing and from what I can tell has not lower my coolant temps but rather increased them.

Why did you need to lower your coolant temps? Creating a larger opening in the grill block, or using the correct thermostat is the proper way to control coolant/engine temperatures.

Water is an extremely good fluid for both conducting heat, and absorbing large quantities of energy.

Water Wetter's website shows how good water is in their chart. You'll notice the chart compares water to many substances, but not Water Wetter.

If I lived in a climate where extreme freezing was not a danger, I would lower the antifreeze ratio to something much lower, perhaps to 20%. This would greatly increase the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the coolant.

How bad does it freeze in Texas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 434764)
I find when you add the water wetter it makes the coolant go in better and avoid the air traps.

Water Wetter is a detergent, so it breaks the surface tension of water. It reduces the viscosity of water.

Cobb 07-12-2014 11:17 AM

I use it to run more grill block and keep the engine happy, use less cooling fan ie POWER.

In stop n go traffic in the city with no ac and auto stop in full effect I see the engine temp hover around 154 degrees F. Last time I had a rental car and hooked up my sg2 I notice the vehicle seemed to have more control over its temperature.

Of course I dont EOC, the engine spins and the water pump, pumps the whole time. I imagine if you EOC in a regular vehicle you may actually see the temp go up vs down unless you are engine braking.

Ecky 07-14-2014 07:16 PM

I read the first page and was going to post basically what redpoint5 posted.

Water has a fantastic combination of thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and low viscosity. The reasons I can see for additives are:

1. A detergent, to help remove bubbles

2. An anti-corrosive

3. To raise or lower the boiling and freezing point

Antifreeze, generally speaking, is less effective as a coolant than water. It is used because it has the important properties of inhibiting corrosion and lowering the freezing point.

I'm willing to bet that the radiator/air is your bottleneck though, and not the coolant. You might try replacing the radiator with something more conductive, such as copper or silver, but you'll then need to keep an anti-corrosive in your coolant because of mixed metals.

Cobb 07-15-2014 01:42 AM

Maybe he should of flushed it before testing? My use was as a new vehicle and just recently after a flush. :thumbup:

Daox 07-15-2014 11:01 AM

There isn't anything wrong with the coolant temps Texas Cotton is seeing. Its not like he is overheating or even getting hot enough to turn the fan on.

chefdave 07-15-2014 02:02 PM

Hi
have used water wetter in a pervious car. the main benefit was ability to dump excess heat after a lomg slow hill climb in searing heat. 3 minutes afyer reaching top of hill temp gauge went from just under red to normal halfway. so if engine os under load generating huge heat that std cooling cannot cope with it is ideal. i have always flushed and refilled cooling system with correct antifeeze and percentage by volume on all cars new to me.

fbov 07-15-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasCotton (Post 434660)
I put some Wetter Wet coolant additive with my Zerex 50/50. I guess I was a sucker for slick marketing...

There's no slick marketing involved here, just a suboptimal application. I've used Water Wetter, Redline's product, in an RV when we went West, so I researched it at that time.

It starts with Thermodynamics, so I understand the reticence to dive in, but perhaps I can explain.

It starts with "heat capacity" defined as the "energy required to change a object's temperature." It's usually called "specific heat" as the amount of mass being heated matters, so we express it as energy/(mass x degree) or Joules/(gram Kelvin). It's also calories and BTUs, although those terms have disappeared from technical usage,.

Water has a heat capacity of about 4 J/gK.
Propylene glycol is more like 2.5 J/gK, roughly 60% that of water

Mix the two and you get three things
- higher boiling point
- lower freezing point
- specific heat that's inbetween; 50/50 would be ~3.2 J/gK
You also get lubricants and anticorrosives in coolant to improve the reliability of the cooling system, but we'll assume those are unrelated to heat transfer in a new, clean system.

So a pure water cooling system has 25% greater heat transfer capability per gram than a 50/50 mix, but a narrower temperature operating range. So far, so good.

How does Water Wetter help? It decreases surface tension, so the resulting mix can't support bubbles as well.

That's important when you get water close to its boiling point, as boiling always starts as bubbles of steam that expand. That's really bad because steam has lower specific heat than coolant alone, so a steam bubble at a hot spot reduces heat transfer where it's most needed. It's not hard to see why that's a bad thing. Prevent bubbles from forming and the hot spot stays cooler, preventing bubbles from forming.

So why set up a cooling system like this? Weight and size.

Given the same radiator efficiency, a wetted-water engine cooling system needs a smaller radiator, a lower volume of liquid in the cooling system, and lower flow rates to transfer the same amount of heat. Plus all the positive benefits of pressurization remain, negating much of the boiling point elevation advantage of a mix.

Think RACE CAR; lighter weight, with less parasitic drain on engine power with nearly the same temperature gradient.

Also think LOW DRAG AERODYNAMICS.

Grill blocks reduce drag, but they also reduce radiator air flow and so thermal efficiency. Hucho shows how radiator air flow optimization can be a powerful tool for optimizing a body for low drag, and smaller give you more options. As a guy on the Corvette forum put it:
"Water cools WAY better than antifreeze. School of hard knox has let me master the auto cooling system,flow rate,rad thickness, copper,aluminum,flue width,airflow,and so on.As ive said in other posts I cooled a 575HP smallblock on a GM v6 radiator 1"1/2 inches thick. This thing wouldnt hit 200 for nothing."
If this all makes sense, you can see how there's no magic or snake oil involved, just as there's little to be gained unless you're re-optimizing your entire bodywork and cooling system, you rebuild the engine regularly, and it never gets cold where you live.

And it's not a panacea; our radiator still sprung a leak driving the RV up Rabbit Ears Pass!

Have fun,
Frank

locomonkeyboricua 08-19-2014 10:47 AM

Hi guys water wetter and all those magic bottles that say they lower water temperature are for use with distilled water filled systems with max coolant at 20 %. They dont work if used in a system with coolant. When I was using this stuff in my track car in summer I ran only 10% coolant 90% distilled water. I used the coolants just so I could smell a leake as water has no strong smell when vaporizing. With my scanner I noticed about 12* difference . It works very well if used as intended.

Mcgiiver 09-13-2014 09:39 PM

It's not possible to generalize about Water Wetter lowering or raising temps as it depends on where the temp sensor is on various cars.
I personally won't change coolant without adding WW. The nice thing is it transfers heat better than coolant mix so I get better output from the heater.

Xist 09-13-2014 10:47 PM

Twice in recorded history, Phoenix has had below-freezing temperatures for fourteen days straight--about a hundred years ago. The longest period of twenty-eight degrees or more was six days, eight years before I was born.

How much antifreeze do I need? :)

oldtamiyaphile 09-14-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 445322)

None if you keep an eye on the weather forecasts :D

Mcgiiver 09-14-2014 10:02 AM

Mix

In your situation, I would run, a 30% coolant, 70% distilled water, solution, with Water Wetter added. You don't need the temp protection that much, but the anti-corrosion and lubricating effects of coolant are beneficial. Coolant raises the boiling point also.

TheGrimMechanic 09-17-2014 02:51 AM

Best coolant I've ever run is a product made by Evans. It's a waterless coolant and it eliminates all of the problems associated with water based coolants. Changing over to Evans coolant requires COMPLETE removal of the old water based coolant. You can add water to the Evans stuff in a pinch (if you were in the middle of nowhere and sprung a leak) but you will need to flush and replace in order to regain the benefits.

The Evans coolant boils at nearly 400 degrees F and by using it, you eliminate all problems associated to corrosion caused by water based coolants. It also has a freezing temperature of below -40F and another benefit is that when it does freeze, it doesn't expand like water and pop freeze plugs.

Evans waterless coolant can also help fuel economy too. But not without some slight modifications. Because it doesn't transfer heat as fast as water, the engine temperature stays higher and if you have an electric cooling fan, you will have to figure out a way to raise the cycling temperature for the fan. Otherwise the fan will run more than it should.

gone-ot 09-17-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 445322)
Twice in recorded history, Phoenix has had below-freezing temperatures for fourteen days straight--about a hundred years ago. The longest period of twenty-eight degrees or more was six days, eight years before I was born.

Uh, depends upon what "spirits" you prefer to sip (ha,ha)!

Oh, you meant for your vehicle...follow the diretions on the container.

Baltothewolf 09-17-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 445931)
Uh, depends upon what "spirits" you prefer to sip (ha,ha)!

Oh, you meant for your vehicle...follow the diretions on the container.

I disagree. I vote for a 20/80 antifreeze/water mix due to the fact that Phoenix gets so Damn hot. I run a 20/80 in both of my cars but I always watch the weather. This winter if it starts getting too cold I'm gonna flush and fill with 50/50.

gone-ot 09-17-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 445966)
I disagree. I vote for a 20/80 antifreeze/water mix due to the fact that Phoenix gets so Damn hot. I run a 20/80 in both of my cars but I always watch the weather. This winter if it starts getting too cold I'm gonna flush and fill with 50/50.

Most of the 'brand-name' coolants specify 50-50 mixture, except for FAR northern locales, like upper Alaska and Canada, etc.

Baltothewolf 09-17-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 446018)
Most of the 'brand-name' coolants specify 50-50 mixture, except for FAR northern locales, like upper Alaska and Canada, etc.

Well the reason for that is most places get sub zero temps in winter. Socal and some parts AZ don't really get that. Might as well run cooler by running 20/80. Water has much more heat absorption then antifreeze, at least that's what I was told. Only reason I don't run 100% water is because I know antifreeze raises the boiling temp.

Andyinchville1 08-25-2022 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 435006)
Why did you need to lower your coolant temps? Creating a larger opening in the grill block, or using the correct thermostat is the proper way to control coolant/engine temperatures.

Water is an extremely good fluid for both conducting heat, and absorbing large quantities of energy.

Water Wetter's website shows how good water is in their chart. You'll notice the chart compares water to many substances, but not Water Wetter.

If I lived in a climate where extreme freezing was not a danger, I would lower the antifreeze ratio to something much lower, perhaps to 20%. This would greatly increase the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the coolant.

How bad does it freeze in Texas?

Water Wetter is a detergent, so it breaks the surface tension of water. It reduces the viscosity of water.

Hi

Just curious but if water wetter is a detergent could the same thing be accomplished by using a little Dawn dishwashing soap?

I have read that dish detergent also brake surface tension or soaps in general breaks surface tension of water plus I guess in theory soaps are generally bases so they should help neutralize any acids forming in the cooling system.

I know water wetter is not super expensive but if a little dish detergent would work and maybe even be better why not too?

Any thoughts on this crazy idea?

Andrew

Piotrsko 08-25-2022 09:25 AM

BNSF annd UP don't run antifreeze. They also tend to never turn off their diesels, have monster cooling systems.

2 drops Dawn would be enough for your system, but I am not sure that is the correct collections of chemicals to be applicable, would clean up the system nice however.

Friend used to swear by Basic H LTAIAGFFA