EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   corn ethanol: food vs fuel (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/corn-ethanol-food-vs-fuel-24466.html)

Frank Lee 01-02-2013 08:17 AM

corn ethanol: food vs fuel

I say use it to make fuel

How Corn Syrup Might Be Making Us Hungry-and Fat - Yahoo! News

mechman600 01-02-2013 09:46 AM

...so we can eat "normal" (non-engineered, false economy supportive, processed junk) food again? Where's the fun in that?:D

bschloop 01-02-2013 09:53 AM

I say we need to stop subsidizing corn and start growing real food. the only reason that corn syrup is in everything we eat is because our government gives farmers a bonus to grow corn. IMO bio-fuels are a great thing, but corn ethanol is not the best choice. it takes too much space to grow.

kennybobby 01-02-2013 10:56 AM

The human body doesn't digest corn so it is a poor food--don't believe me, go eat some and see if it doesn't go right through you intact...

mechman600 01-02-2013 11:16 AM

Actually, it's just the outer shell that we cannot digest because it is cellulose. We can digest the inner part just fine. But it is the outer part we see [and appears to be the whole kernel] when we look down and...well...yeah.

jakobnev 01-02-2013 11:51 AM

I saw this a few years back and thought some of you might want to see too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

jamesqf 01-02-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennybobby (Post 348248)
The human body doesn't digest corn so it is a poor food--don't believe me, go eat some and see if it doesn't go right through you intact...

Shoulda listened when your mama told you to chew your food :-)

Frank Lee 01-02-2013 04:45 PM

I just thought it was funny the way some people go on about corn ethanol like it's swiping the corn flakes bowl off the table in front of a child about to eat it, or a taco right outta someone's mitts and they're left sitting there with their piehole hanging open, when it's just as likely the corn will be made into this awful syrupy stuff.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-02-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bschloop (Post 348237)
I say we need to stop subsidizing corn and start growing real food. the only reason that corn syrup is in everything we eat is because our government gives farmers a bonus to grow corn. IMO bio-fuels are a great thing, but corn ethanol is not the best choice. it takes too much space to grow.

I'm not unfavorable to agricultural subsides, but relying only in one commodity is really quite risky.

Frank Lee 02-01-2015 06:04 AM

Eat this: What

freebeard 02-01-2015 03:23 PM

Zombie thread stalks the land. :eek:
Quote:

These organizations warned that mixing (comingling) of Enogen corn with corn used for food could have significant adverse impacts on food product quality and performance, e.g. crumbling corn chips (resulting from starch breakdown caused by alpha amylase activity in Enogen grain)
Two things:
  1. Creamed corn
  2. The unused part of the biomass (stalks, leafs, tassels and cob) probably have similar potential as the kernels. Terra Preta or Cool Planet.

OK, three: Ethanol doesn't take food out of the mouths of people so much as beef cattle.

Xist 02-01-2015 08:05 PM

I still want to know who wrote that both Frank Lee and I post links to other sites without saying anything, because I feel that I pretty consistently post quotes and summaries when he does that.

Quote:

Fructose, a new study finds, has a marked affect on the brain region that regulates appetite, suggesting that corn syrup and other forms of fructose might encourage over-eating to a greater degree than glucose.
Quote:

and prompts the body to secrete less insulin than does glucose (insulin plays a role in telling the body to feel full and in dulling the reward the body gets from food). Fructose also fails to reduce the amount of circulating ghrelin (a hunger-signaling hormone) as much as glucose does.
From the second link:
Quote:

“Enogen corn” [...] is a special type of corn developed by Syngenta for ethanol production. It contains a transgene from a bacteria that produces alpha amylase, an enzyme that breaks down corn starch into sugar. Presently alpha amylase enzyme is added to corn in a liquid form during the ethanol production process. Corn hybrids with the Enogen trait technology (i.e. Enogen corn) express alpha amylase enzyme directly in the corn kernel, eliminating the need for liquid alpha amylase in dry grind ethanol production.
Quote:

Unlike other transgenic corns introduced for insect and herbicide tolerance, Enogen corn was specifically developed for industrial purposes – ethanol production.

freebeard 02-01-2015 10:59 PM

Herbicide tolerance is not for industrial purposes? I missed that.

The only other purpose I can see is intentionally monkey-wrenching the biosphere.

ksa8907 02-02-2015 12:10 AM

A little off topic, but ethanol and biodiesel producers are going to combined cycle units that will generate enough electricity to be self sufficient and possibly push power onto the grid.

Ethanol should get cheaper.

redpoint5 02-02-2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 466262)
Ethanol doesn't take food out of the mouths of people so much as beef cattle.

I'll do you one better; any money not spent on producing food is taking food out of the mouths of people.

When I am faced with the choice of buying an iPhone, or feeding a person in a third-world for a year, my decision will have an opportunity cost.

Spending resources on ethanol for fuel is no more upsetting than spending resources on livestock. We all have options on how to appropriate funds, and our "vote" is cast with those dollars.

The only travesty is that subsidies distort the true cost of things while making politicians and a select minority of people (businesses) wealthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 466317)
The only other purpose I can see is intentionally monkey-wrenching the biosphere.

Intentionally monkey-wrenching the biosphere sounds more interesting than the millions of years of unintentional monkey-wrenching that has already occurred. Genetic engineering has been going on for ages, and only in the last micro-second of the existence of the universe are we intentionally shaping biology.

Like it or not, the future is genetically engineered everything. In general, we will all be better off for it, but no doubt there will be some negative outcomes as well.

freebeard 02-02-2015 12:37 AM

Quote:

When I am faced with the choice of buying an iPhone, or feeding a person in a third-world for a year, my decision will have an opportunity cost.

Spending resources on ethanol for fuel is no more upsetting than spending resources on livestock. We all have options on how to appropriate funds, and our "vote" is cast with those dollars.
If you use dollars, trickle-down voodoo will absorb your good intentions, and you end up feeding the army that oppresses that person. Send them Bitcoin directly.

Frank Lee 02-02-2015 12:41 AM

Send 'em food directly- they need the energy to sustain out-reproducing their environment.