EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   "Country Brawler" Katana project (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/country-brawler-katana-project-11699.html)

Christ 01-05-2010 12:59 AM

"Country Brawler" Katana project

Just need a service manual for the 1988 Katana 600 is all... Don't feel like buying one yet.

I could also use a frame with a title, if anyone happens to have one in the back yard rusting away... :)

Anything from 1988 to 1996 will fit, blah blah blah...

Help?

Christ 01-25-2010 02:26 AM

Ok, I found an online service manual, and I also found a frame for $100 if I go get it in person, with the title. I'm getting the address from the seller so that I can go pick it up in Hanover, PA.

I had some doubts about whether or not I wanted to restore this bike, but since parts for it can be had so cheaply due to it's relative unpopularity, I see no reason not to, even though it's a 600cc with 80 HP that, frankly, scares the **** out of me. (Bad experiences with bikes when I was younger, due mostly to stupidity.)

So, while the bike needs alot of parts, I suppose once I get started with the new frame, I'll document the restoration of the Katana on here as well.

nemesis 02-04-2010 11:10 PM

Get a gsxr frame, you'll be better off.

Christ 02-04-2010 11:16 PM

Find me one for $50.

I didn't buy the other one, but I'm going to get an identical '88 frame next weekend for $50 with a title, and it's only 30 mins from me near the mall I go to.

What's the diffs between the GSX-R frame and the Katana's frame for the same generations? The '88 Kat weighs 450lbs, and the '92 Gixxer 600 weighs 450lbs wet. I don't see where there would be that much of a difference?

nemesis 02-04-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 159176)
Find me one for $50.

I didn't buy the other one, but I'm going to get an identical '88 frame next weekend for $50 with a title, and it's only 30 mins from me near the mall I go to.

What's the diffs between the GSX-R frame and the Katana's frame for the same generations? The '88 Kat weighs 450lbs, and the '92 Gixxer 600 weighs 450lbs wet. I don't see where there would be that much of a difference?

You want me to find you a frame? Should I go ahead and pay for it. I'll tell you what let me come over and put the bike together while I am at it.

Christ 02-04-2010 11:27 PM

It was rhetorical, because you won't be able to find a decent gixxer frame with a title for $50.

You still haven't answered why I'd be better off. I don't see a reason other than the gixxer name being more popular, which has little bearing on whether or not the frame is actually a benefit.

nemesis 02-04-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 159181)
It was rhetorical, because you won't be able to find a decent gixxer frame with a title for $50.

You still haven't answered why I'd be better off. I don't see a reason other than the gixxer name being more popular, which has little bearing on whether or not the frame is actually a benefit.

I was told that gsxr frames were lighter than katana's frames, the the main benefit is to lose some weight of already underpowered overweight bike.

Gixxer and Ninja are the most popular words that my cbr has been called by idiots that have no clue about motorcycles.

Christ 02-04-2010 11:40 PM

Oh. They're not any lighter, unless you go to a newer chassis, but even then, the Kat frames are lighter too (and would require modification for the older components to fit.)

I don't really consider it underpowered, by any means. 60 HP against 500 lbs is something that most cars can't dream of. When you look at it relatively, it's not so bad. Frankly, I've had my fill of higher powered bikes when I was 14 and almost killed myself, so I'll stick with the entry level bikes.

I'll probably do some stuff to reduce weight as well, but the bike is most likely going to end up being a street fighter conversion, and is unlikely to see very much road time at all from me.

nemesis 02-04-2010 11:47 PM

Sometimes I wish my 500lb 150hp bike had little more power, but that's just me.

Christ 02-04-2010 11:49 PM

My "normal" bike is detailed in another thread. It weighs about 300 lbs and has less than 15 HP.

I only wanted the bigger bike for a more comfortable highway cruiser. Frankly, I'd rather have a 200cc or less scoot.

I'd actually like to take a Ninja ZX6R frame and put a 250EX motor on it. The bigger frames are more comfortable to me. I have a "farmer strut" leg shape, and a wide stance. It bothers my hips to sit in a narrow profile for a long time.