EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Cousin scored a stereotypical "old lady's" car - 10 y/o Tercel, 3k miles. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cousin-scored-stereotypical-old-ladys-car-10-y-6600.html)

MetroMPG 12-31-2008 09:45 PM

Cousin scored a stereotypical "old lady's" car - 10 y/o Tercel, 3k miles.

Got a kick out of this: big family gathering for supper, and learned my cousin just picked up a 1998 Toyota Tercel 4-door with about 5,000 km on it (3k miles)!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...97tercel-1.jpg

It's an archetypal "old lady" car in like new condition. She literally only drove it to church and the grocery store. She left it to her church when she passed away and they used it for a while, but decided to sell it because they really didn't need it.

Replaced fluids and changed the front brakes and my cousin has a car that'll probably be trouble-free for years. Price: $5k CDN

Very similar story & price as my Firefly, except it had less than half that mileage on the clock when I snagged it.

Frank Lee 12-31-2008 09:46 PM

Lucky to be in the right place at the right time! :thumbup:

roflwaffle 12-31-2008 11:42 PM

Seriously lucky! I got moderately lucky and nabbed a project recently. A '63 Mercedes W110 diesel for $400. 50hp of fury in a 2800lb body = Slowest. Car. Ever. But it had body work done to it and was incredibly straight/clean barring some cracked paint and a few rust spots from dew. It needs some work, but I figure I can scrounge around and have a nice (slow) 40mpg classic for ~$1500-2000.

blueflame 01-01-2009 07:15 AM

I prefer the smaller/lighter/earlier 2nd generation over the third as it is so similar to my Citroen AX.

I think the 88" Tercel is around 909kg?

The Metro is lighter with better aero's....

festivaWES 01-01-2009 01:55 PM

stellar find i love those grandma cars!

taco 01-03-2009 12:43 AM

check for engine sludge!!!!!! after sitting that long and not being drove much. i know an oler guy (who i cant get it through his head) wiht a 2005 lexus es, that only has 4k on it that he NEEDS to change to oil, but he says thay say change it at 5k, i am like the oil is alomst 3 years old. shame shame on him.

great score btw

ModelE 01-03-2009 12:21 PM

i got a '94 pontiac grand am coupe....literal granny car with the 4cyl a couple years back for free from a neighbor... 45k miles on it... wish i had it now to ecomod the heck out of:rolleyes:

nice score anyways

Frank Lee 01-03-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taco (Post 81317)
check for engine sludge!!!!!! after sitting that long and not being drove much. i know an oler guy (who i cant get it through his head) wiht a 2005 lexus es, that only has 4k on it that he NEEDS to change to oil, but he says thay say change it at 5k, i am like the oil is alomst 3 years old. shame shame on him.

Lighten up on him. It depends on whether, when he DOES drive it, if it gets up to operating temp long enough for contaminants to vaporize off.

I don't change the oil in my vehicles until it either looks like it needs it, or in the case of daily drivers, 5 to 7k miles has passed. It just occurred to me that I haven't changed the oil in my '59 since 2000! But I check it frequently and gosh darn, it still looks honey-colored on the dipstick. That's cuz when I do run it, I run it long enough to get it nice and hot.

Oh... and in 30 years of motoring, I can't think of any instances of suffering any sludge-related problems due to my oil changing practices.

MetroMPG 01-03-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 81052)
Seriously lucky! I got moderately lucky and nabbed a project recently. A '63 Mercedes W110 diesel for $400. I figure I can scrounge around and have a nice (slow) 40mpg classic for ~$1500-2000.

Wow. Project thread, please? (With pics!)

roflwaffle 01-04-2009 05:34 PM

Sure, I can post up a project that'll never get done once I find my camera's USB connector. :o :thumbup: