EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Crank pulley removal (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/crank-pulley-removal-2729.html)

AndrewJ 06-02-2008 09:14 PM

Crank pulley removal

So I'm trying to get my crank pulley off and so far I've accomplished the following:

1) Wear myself out

2) Bend the hell out of my biggest screwdriver

3) Nearly break my 3/8 rachet.

And still the crank pulley remains firmly attached to the car.

I have been attempting to hold the pulley still with my big screwdriver (jammed into one of the holes, holding against the oilpan flange)
Meanwhile a helper applies force to the crankshaft pulley bolt using my 3/8 rachet and a 2' cheater bar.
Once force is applied, I tap on it with a hammer. (cheap impact driver)

So, does anyone else have any suggestions for me?

I'll probably end up buying a 1/2 breaker bar tomorrow. But I'd really like to avoid having to rent a impact wrench and air compressor.

koihoshi 06-02-2008 09:31 PM

Without immobilizing the crank about the only way to do it is with a strong impact gun. They're never in there anything beyond "OMG THIS IS HARD TO GET OFF!" which is some ungodly amount of ft lbs. I had to use a strong impact gun to get mine out. You're taking it off ENTIRELY? Are you taking off alternator/powersteering/ac entirely too?

Johnny Mullet 06-02-2008 09:37 PM

Air powered impact is the only way to win. It also helps to put a small amount of silicone on the bolt when re-installing it to prevent any oil leakage.

AndrewJ 06-02-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koihoshi (Post 30647)
You're taking it off ENTIRELY? Are you taking off alternator/powersteering/ac entirely too?

I'm just taking it off to get at my leaky water pump. It'll be going right back on once that's all taken care of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet (Post 30650)
Air powered impact is the only way to win.

Grrr. That's what I was afraid of. That's gonna set me back....

I'm almost contemplating driving it to a shop to have that one stinkin' bolt removed. It's not like I even need the crank pulley to drive it back home (I am running the alternator beltless after all)

Daox 06-02-2008 09:51 PM

Johnny is right on. An impact is pretty much necessary. If you don't have access to an air compressor electric impacts work alright too. Maybe they rent them locally?

Red 06-02-2008 09:53 PM

An impact gun is the only way I've seen them come off

MetroMPG 06-02-2008 10:29 PM

I'm lucky my local garage has been pretty good about stuff like this - I've dropped by once or twice with uncooperative nuts/bolts and they've run the air hose out and freed it for me on the spot. Must be my puppy dog eyes.

Johnny Mullet 06-02-2008 10:36 PM

Yes! An electric impact would also do the job!

digitaldissent 06-03-2008 12:53 AM

don't drive it with the bolt out, if that pulley moves and the timing belt jumps you have bent valves on your hands.

I have replaced a few Honda heads in my time, pretty easy but when your paying it costs money :eek:

and yeah as johnny said I have only seen those come off with an impact gun

adam728 06-03-2008 08:04 AM

Impact, or a BIG breaker bar. I've done em on 2 Toyota trucks with a large 1/2" breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater pipe. Hard to get enough room to swing the whole thing though. 200+ ft-lbs plus Michigan rust equals "damn that's tough!".