EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   crazy comments (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/crazy-comments-17639.html)

larrybuck 06-01-2011 12:54 AM

crazy comments

You look in the ads and it says: ran when parked! Of course they never say what year that might have been!!
2011 car gets 35mpg!! Whoop de doo!
Put your shoes on before you mow the lawn: Don't come running to me after you cut off your foot!!

Anybody know the orgin of:
he burned a brand new one!

lets break the ice!

what's your handle?

why do the people on opposite USA coasts emphasize the opposite end of the last word here: Have a nice weekend!

Why in the east it's a campertop; in the west its a canopy... somewhere in the middle it's a truck cap?

The towns Lancaster in CA, and the one back east pronounced very different!

Then there are the local things we blow as little kids: We're going to San Hosie, CA.

or... Chev-ro-lett.

The worst national one I hear the most is Illi-noise! leaving the last s in.

I'm happy because of nearby U of Oregon's good football run toward the national title, most people now can say Or-a-gun instead of Or-ee-gone!

How about the most butchered car names...... its Poor-shaw, not Poorsssssh

I had fun early on with Mit-shaw-bee-shee let alone trying to spell it today.

How many really say Feb-brew-airy instead of Feb-U-airy???

How about the Lambo Coon-tash?

How about Citroen?

24hrs. of La-Mans instead of La- Moans? I don't think so!

Maize-er-ahhtiee instead of May-sir-ahhtiee...the 1st wins!

Well... Bli-mee ! What DOES that really mean?????

Lets have some fun here!! I recently learned how to make paragraphs here, so I'm lol at myself too!!!!

http://forum.ecomodder.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
http://forum.ecomodder.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

SentraSE-R 06-01-2011 02:05 AM

I'll try a few. "lets break the ice!" comes from breaking the chill at a party with some words or actions.

"what's your handle?" is CB radio lingo dating back to the early 1970s, when the pop song "Convoy" brought this term for "what do you call yourself" into popular usage.

I studied German, and visited Germany. It's Por-sha, not Poor-shaw or Poorsssssh. It's Folksvagn, not Volkswagen. It's Bay Em Vay, not Bee Em Doubleya or Bimmer or Beemer.

dcb 06-01-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrybuck (Post 242263)
The worst national one I hear the most is Illi-noise! leaving the last s in.

I'm from there, I add the S :) My reasoning is we should quit making pronunciation exceptions to the language and spell things like they are pronounced, and vice versa.

Quote:

How about the most butchered car names...... its Poor-shaw, not Poorsssssh

Correctly pronounced Poorsssssh here in the midwest ;)

Quote:

I had fun early on with Mit-shaw-bee-shee let alone trying to spell it today.

My mother in law can only say "Mi-su-beech-eee"

Quote:

How many really say Feb-brew-airy instead of Feb-U-airy???

The inventors of the word spelled it wrong, lets fix it :) It is pronounced wed-nes-day also.

Quote:

neither:
24 Hours of Lemons - Home Page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eeib...embedded#at=26

jamesqf 06-01-2011 11:59 AM

[QUOTE=larrybuck;242263]I had fun early on with Mit-shaw-bee-shee let alone trying to spell it today.[\QUOTE]

Just remember Mitsu = three + bishi = a diamond shape - hence the car/company logo of three diamonds.

Quote:

Plus you slipped a sex change in there. It's LE Mans.

[QUOTE]Well... Bli-mee ! What DOES that really mean?????[\QUOTE]

"Blind me", or in the longer form gorblimey, "God blind me".

Quote:

I recently learned how to make paragraphs here, so I'm lol at myself too!!!!
Sheesh, all it takes is hitting the enter key. Not exactly what I'd call a steep learning curve :-)

markweatherill 06-01-2011 02:10 PM

I always find it funny when Americans pronounce NISSAN as NEEEESAAAAN.

jamesqf 06-01-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markweatherill (Post 242391)
I always find it funny when Americans pronounce NISSAN as NEEEESAAAAN.

I still pronounce it as 'Datsun' :-)

larrybuck 06-01-2011 08:24 PM

Senta SE: I appreciate the help; but was looking for more depth on the ice and the handle.
I was expecting a long frozen ice fishing story.... and the handle... yes, something attached to a tool to make the employment of it's usage more deft!

You DID blow me away w Bay-Em-Vay! never heard in that context!

Oh come on w Illi-noise??? You don't say Chev-ro-lett do you???

I correct myself w Lay-Moans....sounds a little naughty!

I'm sorry... Poorssh is not acceptable ANYWHERE! The car was named after a female relative...think about it.

Tuu-shaay on the Wed-ness=day!!!

I take full responsibility for my slow paragraph learning curve. 56 now, got 1st computer only a yr. ago. I find that most instruction manuals for this and cell phones are quite a joke, since some of them are biblical tract size , and not very informative! Easy for the younger because its your norm. How would you feel if I put you on a pre '74 motorcycle (the yr the USA demanded that all bikes sold as new in the states had to have their rear brakes operated on the right side) that was a brand unfamiliar to you, and then laughed as you shifted while wanting to brake or the opposite??

Had to vent!!

How many have heard Dot-sun, instead of Daaat-sun?

Some spell FORD as first on race day, or found on road dead...
Fiat is fix it again Tony
Anyone have some new ones?

Old trivia anyone?
What is an L-88, and what was it's rated HP?
Same w an LS-6, and original LS-7's. What cars were they on?

What was the cu of Ford's V8 just prior to when the Mustang came out? (small V8)

What are the 2 V8 engines that both Ford and Chevy have made that share the same ci size??

What similarly engined car was sold that was like the original Cobra, but in oem form had a different model name?

What does the term "toploader" really mean?

A 440 Magnum... I'm sincerely not too much of a gun guy.. other than a tough sounding name; does it apply to any special factory hi-pro detail specifically, or just general like Ram Tough?? A friend had one of these as an ex state police car! What are the likely 2 choices as far as brand, and model, that describe the car above?

What was the 1st yr. that : I'm handing the baton off !! run w it! (smile)

cleanspeed1 06-01-2011 09:31 PM

L88 - 427ci / aluminum heads / cast iron block / 430hp / Corvette option, there were early and late versions, massively underated

LS6- 454ci / 450hp ( 460hp in the Vette ) Chevelle usually, but Yenko, Nickey, Baldwin-Motion would stick it in any chassis you wanted short of a Corvair.

LS7 - 454ci / want to say 460-465hp but I may have to look it up, not officially offered in a car from the factory but no doubt "found their way" into some and was a dealer aftermarket engine package.

221ci or 260ci for the Ford small block

Ford and Chevy made 427ci big block

Sunbeam Alpine Tiger

Toploader means that the gear assembly loads from the top of the transmission case

440 Magnum - Hi Po 440ci big block with 4 barrel, 268 degree cam, high perf heads, high flow exhaust manifolds; same basic package was used in pursuit package for police work ( '69s were legendary, those bricks would sail to 150 mph )

jamesqf 06-01-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrybuck (Post 242476)
Easy for the younger because its your norm. How would you feel if I put you on a pre '74 motorcycle...

You think I'm that much younger? Not that I bother keeping track any more (figured out long ago that I'm never going to grow up, so why bother?), but I did write my first computer program in FORTRAN, on punched cards. But still don't own a cell phone.

And the pre-74 bikes, if they were Honda or Kawasaki, would bring back memories...

cleanspeed1 06-01-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 242492)
You think I'm that much younger? Not that I bother keeping track any more (figured out long ago that I'm never going to grow up, so why bother?), but I did write my first computer program in FORTRAN, on punched cards. But still don't own a cell phone.

And the pre-74 bikes, if they were Honda or Kawasaki, would bring back memories...

Let's say, two stroke triple memories, single overhead cam memories?

larrybuck 06-01-2011 10:51 PM

cleanspeed1: you did extremely well, but what is the 2nd Ford/Chevy shared ci V8?? I haven't ever owned a triple? Had many bikes? How about a grand list for fun??

jamesqf: thanks for your response! I think we are bigger when we can admit to not always being perfect, or slow, or we have inadequatesies like my spelling here!! LOL!!

'74 Honda 360 1st bike
'75Harley FX 1200 superglide (basically a 200cc larger sportster)
repeat of above Harley... sold 1st to get Datsun 240Z... FX meant kick start only
'75 Yamaha RD 350 w after market exh., tomato sou
p colored wheelie machine
'73 or so Kawa 175 Enduro
'74 Honda CB450 rode to Texas and back
early 80's? ST 90 : a street legal mini bike sized Enduro that I actually rode on freeway once at 40mph.
early 80' Honda MB5 tiny 50cc sport bike w real shocks
'81 Honda CB400: rode from OR. to NC., and back w/o even a fairing (silver color)
a '70's basketcase Yamaha 650 vibrator bought from an ex-boss for $50. or so...total beater.. heard eng. run once...gave it away
'78 Kawa KL250 Enduro: current!
'81 Honda CB 400 in black, added 2into 1 exh. :current!
'77 Suzuki GS 550, gave to neighbor friend who did a great job of restoring it.
'83 Honda 650 (673) GL Interstate full dresser w shaft, watercooled... Burgandy w much extra chrome...took off boat anchor lighted bumper bar... has alt. issues, but fires right up w cables to car: current!
'83 same as above but in silver w much less chrome amd no CB/Am/Fm/or Cassette player
I think thats all.. my truck/van/car list I'm sure is 45+ some other time... I'm sure I would feel done w that list; then something memory wise would have to be added!!!!

on 240Z

larrybuck 06-01-2011 10:57 PM

Don't know how 240Z got on bottom of post..... PS: I forgot Honda CB125..see how it is??? Had a past coworker who had the evil handling Kawa 500 triple in an Emerald green!

cleanspeed1 06-02-2011 12:43 AM

For some reason LB I bet you drink a lot of Redbull!:p

Ok, let's see..........

On the bike front, I have only had 2 Hondas, an 86 Nighthawk S and a 78 CB750.

The other engine sizes that Ford and GM share are 400ci ( small block Chevy and the 400M Ford ). Technically they shared the 428ci size ( FE and current GM LS7 ( marketed as a 427ci, but is a 428ci engine) ). And one last one, 302ci ( Windsor, Boss and first generation Z28 Camaro ).

SentraSE-R 06-02-2011 01:15 AM

AFAIK, all the Japanese motorcycles had left shifters with toe up for higher gears, and right rear brakes. British bikes had right shifters with toe down for higher gears, and left rear brakes.

SentraSE-R 06-02-2011 02:07 AM

My bike list

1963 Honda Cub 50 cc 4 stroke streeter
1966 Suzuki X-6 (T-20) Hustler 2 stroke 6 speed 250cc streeter
1968 Suzuki T-500 Titan 2 stroke 5 speed 500 cc streeter
1970 Suzuki TS-90 Enduro (2, 1 for parts) 2 stroke 90 cc dual-purpose
1972 Yamaha 360 Enduro 2 stroke 360cc dual purpose
1976 Kawasaki 175 Enduro 2 stroke 175 cc dual purpose
1977 Suzuki TC-185 Enduro 2 stroke 185 cc dual range (10 speed) dual purpose
1976 Suzuki GS-1000 4 stroke 1000 cc streeter

I rode over 100,000 miles on the above motorcycles, primarily the GS-1000, X-6 Hustler, and TS-90.

jamesqf 06-02-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrybuck (Post 242512)
jamesqf: thanks for your response! I think we are bigger when we can admit to not always being perfect...

Not perfect? Moi?!?! Though I will admit to a certain excess modesty :-)

Don't know that I could list all the bikes &c from memory, but a few...

Late '60s/early '70s? Honda 305, the one that had an odd-lookinq scissor spring/shock arrangement on the front forks.

'70s 350 Honda.

'70s 450/4 Kawasaki, died on the road north of Yakima, so I traded the remains for its 650 brother, rode that through western Canada & back to California where I was living at the time.

Yamaha something that was supposed to be a clone of a Harley chopper. Sold it after about two weeks 'cause I couldn't stand the noise.

650 & 850 Suzukis. The 850 was the last I owned, 'cause I bought a house & acquired dogs that liked to go everywhere with me.

Mustang Dave 06-03-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleanspeed1 (Post 242489)
Ford and Chevy made 427ci big block

Ford and Chevy also both made 302 ci small blocks. The Chevy 302 was the original Camaro Z-28 engine. It developed 290 HP @ 5600 RPM. (Same as the Ford Boss 302)

JasonG 06-04-2011 01:34 AM

Wouldn't it be "bee-em-doūble vee" ?
I am with you on the pooorssssh issue or porch as it sometimes sounds. Its poor-shaa or poor-shuh.

Course, I's jus a southern boi. ;-)

larrybuck 06-06-2011 08:53 PM

I was waiting to see when someone would remember the 302!!

My friend's ex- state patrol car was a "70 Plymouth Fury I w all white exterior.. typical Oregon cop car color.

For you younger ones, the Fury I meant basic, less chrome, rubber mats instead of carpeting, etc.... they made FuryII's, and Fury III's also! In the Ford line, Custom was the low model on the tootem pole, in the 60's, it was Biscayne, Buick had Special's, and eventually even Chevy started calling the low a wagon a Nomad; go figure???

It's interesting how some names were shared: GTO Pontiac and Ferrari! Mercury had a Cyclone, and then yrs. later GMC had their Syclone truck.

How about weird names???... Plymouth Cricket! Chevette Scooter! Hudson Wasp! AMC Hornet! Scuba Doo Brat! (lol) Pontiac Tempest! Monza Mirage! Ford Aspire ! (to what?) Dodge Shadow! (pleeeeease!!) I'm actually surprised no-one has come out with a Gnat or an Aphid, Mosquito, or a Flea!! In the econo car class a Chigger would sound tough, Citroen's were known for Leech like handling.... Opel's Kadette! A camillian (sorry for spelling) would be a great name for a sleeper performance car!!

I'm surprised that there was never a Rambler Badger!

Back to old cop cars, would the Dodge equivalent to the Plymouth Fury I be a Monaco what???? in the mid 60's Dodge had 330 and 440 BODY names??? can a Dodge fan clarify here....??? I used to have a '63 Dodge330 4dr. sedan w 318 and 3spd. on the column. Maybe there's a Corenette subname, like what would be Adam 12's Dodge counterpart (their Plymouth Belvedere) sorry, my spelling sucks today!!