EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Crazy Idea: Magnetise your gearbox gears (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/crazy-idea-magnetise-your-gearbox-gears-40423.html)

Logic 08-10-2022 07:23 PM

Crazy Idea: Magnetise your gearbox gears

This is just a crazy idea I had and thought I'd put 'out there':

Take your well run in manual gearbox apart.
Wrap thick copper wire around each gear and discharge a large capacitor through the wire to magnetize the gears so the tops are north and and the bottoms south. (not left north and right south. Although that may work too)

Now all the gears are magnetized such that they repel each other when the box is put back together.

Due to the very small gaps between gear teeth the repulsive force should be substantial enough to avoid gear tooth contact a lot of the time, and greatly decrease the pressure with which the teeth push on each other all the time.

I have no idea how much difference this would make?? Research Reqd!

You'd still have to add oil. (drag. maybe thinner oil?)
Then there's the issue of all that fine metal that usually accumulates on the sump plug magnet! On a well run in gearbox..?

It'd be great if some one here knows the maths in this and can chip in so I don't have to go look it all up! :)

Ecky 08-10-2022 07:56 PM

Interesting in principal. However due to gears being different sizes, they would only align while rotating such that they're repelling part of the time, and would attract an equal portion of the time. I think this would only work with a 1:1 gear - which is 4th gear in most manuals these days. And, the reduction in physical contact would only be as strong as the magnetic force, which is to say, probably millinewtons or less, compared with hundreds of newtons exerted by the engine that needs to transfer between the two gears, forcing them together.

There probably IS friction reduction to be found in manual gearboxes that simply isn't happening because nobody is building new manual gearboxes anymore. It's probably also not the lowest hanging fruit yet.

Logic 08-11-2022 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 672715)
Interesting in principal. However due to gears being different sizes, they would only align while rotating such that they're repelling part of the time, and would attract an equal portion of the time. I think this would only work with a 1:1 gear - which is 4th gear in most manuals these days. And, the reduction in physical contact would only be as strong as the magnetic force, which is to say, probably millinewtons or less, compared with hundreds of newtons exerted by the engine that needs to transfer between the two gears, forcing them together.

There probably IS friction reduction to be found in manual gearboxes that simply isn't happening because nobody is building new manual gearboxes anymore. It's probably also not the lowest hanging fruit yet.

Thx Ecky

The gears would be magnetized top to bottom not left to right if you get my meaning.
ie: The top of each tooth would be say north, and the bottom south.
Then the gears arranged north-north.
ie: Constant repulsion.

Then magnetic force increases/decreases with the square of distance.
So Force = Magnetic Constant /Distance squared.
So the maths says; when D is 0; F is infinite, regardless of how strong the magnet is...
https://socratic.org/questions/the-f...ionality%20%23

I don't think that's quite the case in principle, but friction from any direct steel to steel contact should be GREATLY reduced.
(you'd also have a thin layer of oil between the teeth)

Ecky 08-11-2022 05:42 AM

I've actually never considered magnetizing only small sections of a continuous steel object before. I'm not even certain you can, or how the field would propagate (would it cancel itself out?) and I'm not having any luck searching for an answer.

My best guess is that it isn't possible. I imagine the fields would cancel.

EDIT: It appears to be possible. It would likely be a very weak magnet depending on how the poles interact, and would be prohibitively expensive to manufacture. It's a fun thought experiment though.

wdb 08-11-2022 09:20 AM

What's the point? You still need oil. Sturdy stuff too. There are heavy loads inside a gearbox, not just on the gear teeth themselves. Plus it is impossible for the gears to do their jobs at all if they don't impart force from one to the other.

oil pan 4 08-11-2022 10:59 AM

Then they will attract iron particles and wear even faster.

aerohead 08-11-2022 01:54 PM

magnetized gears

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 672712)

Wrap thick copper wire around each gear and discharge a large capacitor through the wire to magnetize the gears so the tops are north and and the bottoms south. (not left north and right south. Although that may work too)

Now all the gears are magnetized such that they repel each other when the box is put back together.

Due to the very small gaps between gear teeth the repulsive force should be substantial enough to avoid gear tooth contact a lot of the time, and greatly decrease the pressure with which the teeth push on each other all the time.

Then there's the issue of all that fine metal that usually accumulates on the sump plug magnet! On a well run in gearbox..?

It'd be great if some one here knows the maths in this and can chip in so I don't have to go look it all up! :)

Two things came to mind.
1) The gears are hydrodynamically lubricated. In operation, they never actually make physical contact with one another. So we'd be working on a problem that never existed in the first place.
2) Secondly, if one were to magnetize the gears, they'd be in a position to attract any ferrous metal debris suspended in the gear oil.
It would in essence be like pouring 'sand' into the transmission.
Some race car owners ARE known to epoxy a rare earth magnet to the bottom of a transmission and engine crankcase to attract and 'sequester' any such contaminants. An uncle did this on his cars.

oil pan 4 08-13-2022 11:37 AM

My nearly 30 year old t56 transmission had magnets in the bottom of the case. Along with about 1/8 inch of transmission mud all along the bottom.

redneck 08-14-2022 03:01 PM

Why magnetize the gears only…???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRAP_w0eYDA

😎

>

Logic 08-15-2022 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 672731)
I've actually never considered magnetizing only small sections of a continuous steel object before. I'm not even certain you can, or how the field would propagate (would it cancel itself out?) and I'm not having any luck searching for an answer.

My best guess is that it isn't possible. I imagine the fields would cancel.

EDIT: It appears to be possible. It would likely be a very weak magnet depending on how the poles interact, and would be prohibitively expensive to manufacture. It's a fun thought experiment though.

Yes one gear shaft is a solid piece.
My guess was that as long as one kept all the norths in the same direction; you'd be fine.
I too looked, but couldn't find info on this. Link?

The other shaft is all separate gears. Easy enough.

And yes; Just a Thought Experiment at this stage.
:)

Logic 08-15-2022 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 672883)
My nearly 30 year old t56 transmission had magnets in the bottom of the case. Along with about 1/8 inch of transmission mud all along the bottom.

Yep :) That 'mud' is worrying!
I'm hoping that a well run in gearbox will have finished producing 'mud' and that the repulsive force between teeth will avoid more being produced, but who knows!? :)
This is just a 'crazy idea' atm.

Logic 08-15-2022 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdb (Post 672732)
What's the point? You still need oil. Sturdy stuff too. There are heavy loads inside a gearbox, not just on the gear teeth themselves. Plus it is impossible for the gears to do their jobs at all if they don't impart force from one to the other.

:) Yes you would still need oil.

"impart force":
Like magnetic poles repel and, according to the maths, the force with which they repel is squared as the distance between them decreases:
So the maths says; when D is 0; F is infinite, regardless of how strong the magnet is...

ie: You will still get all the force/torque, but without the gears ever physically touching, much like you can't get the like poles of a bar magnet to ever touch... theoretically..?

Logic 08-15-2022 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 672740)
Then they will attract iron particles and wear even faster.

:) yep, probably. Remember; this is just a crazy idea / thought experiment.

The idea is; if Force goes to infinity as Distance goes to zero; the gears will never touch... theoretically..? and no iron particles will be produced.

But that's from the gear teeth only.
The syncromeshes rely on friction to get the 'lose' gear shaft spinning at the same rpms so the gears don't grate.
This would require electromagnets that come on/off at the right times, or the use of a non ferrous metal (brass?) if you don't want to produce particles there.

Ecky 08-15-2022 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 672948)

"impart force": Like magnetic poles repel and, according to the maths, the force with which they repel is squared as the distance between them decreases:

ie: You will still get all the force/torque, but without the gears ever physically touching, much like you cant get the like poles of a bar magnet to ever touch... theoretically..?

Unfortunately, the force is only infinite if the magnet is a point source with no physical dimensions - a bit like those physics textbook problems talking about ladders moving at the speed of light through an open barn door. Doesn't actually exist. From my reading, in practice all magnets have the center of their pole somewhere inside their structure (not at the very edge), and the pole is really only where the electromagnetic field lines converge, and it moves around depending on how it interacts with other fields. With a purely steel gear of that size, you're likely to get a few fractions of a pound of repulsive force.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 672946)
Yes one gear shaft is a solid piece.
My guess was that as long as one kept all the norths in the same direction; you'd be fine.
I too looked, but couldn't find info on this. Link?

The other shaft is all separate gears. Easy enough.

And yes; Just a Thought Experiment at this stage.
:)

I spent a few hours reading on this but didn't save any links. Best I can tell, to build this, you'd need to recast the gear where the alloyed metal in the middle is not ferromagnetic (possibly in a face centered cubic crystalline structure), while having the atoms in the teeth all aligned outward with a different crystalline structure, such as body-centered. The magnetic fiends of the different teeth would interact with each other, and there needs to be a path for the field lines to make their way around to the underside of the teeth without interference. You also risk any shocks to the gear (such as when changing gears) completely reorienting the magnetic fields. I expect this to be a multimillion dollar project to produce one set of gears, which would have a repulsive force under a pound, that might demagnetize the first time you put it in gear.

Logic 08-15-2022 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 672765)
Two things came to mind.
1) The gears are hydrodynamically lubricated. In operation, they never actually make physical contact with one another. So we'd be working on a problem that never existed in the first place.

In theory aerhead, but most geaarboxes have magnetic sump plugs that collect all the ferrous particles that 'don't occur'. :)
See the various other posts here and the end of your comment. :)

According to the maths the force between 2 like poles goes to infinity as the distance between them goes to zero:

So, for the gear teeth at least, magnetising them should mean that what you said is true for the 1st time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 672765)
Two things came to mind
2) Secondly, if one were to magnetize the gears, they'd be in a position to attract any ferrous metal debris suspended in the gear oil.
It would in essence be like pouring 'sand' into the transmission.

Yep. And its not just the gear teeth; its the syncromeshes and 'gear lockers' ( that grate sometimes) that come into contact, producing particles.

The syncros are often non ferrous/magnetic brass, but the 'lockers' aren't.
So its just a crazy idea atm, unless a plan can be made there. I have some half baked ideas that may solve that. :)

Logic 08-15-2022 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 672950)
Unfortunately, the force is only infinite if the magnet is a point source with no physical dimensions - a bit like those physics textbook problems talking about ladders moving at the speed of light through an open barn door. Doesn't actually exist. From my reading, in practice all magnets have the center of their pole somewhere inside their structure (not at the very edge), and the pole is really only where the electromagnetic field lines converge, and it moves around depending on how it interacts with other fields. With a purely steel gear of that size, you're likely to get a few fractions of a pound of repulsive force.

I spent a few hours reading on this but didn't save any links. Best I can tell, to build this, you'd need to recast the gear where the alloyed metal in the middle is not ferromagnetic (possibly in a face centered cubic crystalline structure), while having the atoms in the teeth all aligned outward with a different crystalline structure, such as body-centered. The magnetic fiends of the different teeth would interact with each other, and there needs to be a path for the field lines to make their way around to the underside of the teeth without interference. You also risk any shocks to the gear (such as when changing gears) completely reorienting the magnetic fields. I expect this to be a multimillion dollar project to produce one set of gears, which would have a repulsive force under a pound, that might demagnetize the first time you put it in gear.

Well there goes one crazy idea! :)
I'm glad it caught your imagination and thx for researching it and replying Ecky.

Ecky 08-15-2022 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 672958)
Well there goes one crazy idea! :)
I'm glad it caught your imagination and thx for researching it and replying Ecky.

It was fun! I learned a few things. I would also suggest not taking me as the final word, I'm simply a moderately educated layman.

serialk11r 08-15-2022 10:16 AM

That magnetization will be negligible compared to the contact forces on the teeth, probably far less than the eddy current losses you're introducing by having magnets spinning around.

Gearbox losses can be reduced with a better oiling system like they use in F1 cars, but it's a lot of expense for a small gain.

aerohead 08-15-2022 01:08 PM

'infinite'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 672948)

"impart force":
Like magnetic poles repel and, according to the maths, the force with which they repel is squared as the distance between them decreases:

ie: You will still get all the force/torque, but without the gears ever physically touching, much like you can't get the like poles of a bar magnet to ever touch... theoretically..?

Any effect which varies with the inverse square law would achieve the highest magnitude ( unity ) at radius = zero, however, say the Gauss measured at the 'surface' of a dipole magnet would only measure what it measures.
I've got some neodymium rare earth magnets, and I can squeeze like poles together with hand pressure.
Micro-finished hard facing would still require a few thousandths clearance for the gear oil, so, while 'close', would never contact.

markweatherill 09-27-2022 10:19 AM

Remember that conventional manual transmissions use helical-cut gears which engage their teeth across a large area, which may affect the repulsion / attraction envisaged.

wax87 10-30-2023 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 672712)

Try it on a bicycle chain and sprocket