Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Question Hypermiling Mods..... In What Order of Efficiency ?

I'm sure this info is out here already, but I've yet to find it.

In what order (Most effective --> Least effective) are hypermiling mods the most effective.

Yes, #1 is adjusting the nut behind the wheels driving style, but I would like to see charts/graphs of the physically changes that can be done to our vehicles.

TIA

65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Katmandu For This Useful Post:
SwiftAnon (07-23-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hard boiled - '96 chevy metro lsi
Subd
Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I think the pedal power mod is the most effective of them all, can't beat a 100% reduction in fuel consumption

Looking back through the list I cannot believe upping the tire pressure is counted at 'low impact'... 42 PSI instead of 34 gave me 5 to 8 % better FE. Give me 15 other mods that effective and I'll never need fuel again.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I think the pedal power mod is the most effective of them all, can't beat a 100% reduction in fuel consumption

Looking back through the list I cannot believe upping the tire pressure is counted at 'low impact'... 42 PSI instead of 34 gave me 5 to 8 % better FE. Give me 15 other mods that effective and I'll never need fuel again.
Heck, you might have to install a big overflow tank to catch all the gas your car creates if you do all 65!
Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
It all depends on the vehicle and how you use it. Aeromods aren't as effective the slower you travel. Weight reduction is not that effective if you're highway cruising. A grill block on a car with a huge grill will do wonders, where some cars have an almost closed off grill or now have automatic shutters. A taller 5th gear will do very little for someone who uses P&G constantly, but will work quite well for someone who cruises.

Sorry, what you ask is not possible with any real accuracy. You need to figure out what mods will work best for you, your vehicle, and your commute.

If you explain these things to us we'd be happy to help though.
Fat Charlie (07-24-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
For myself, the two biggest mpg gains came with modifying my driving style, and modifying my route. A lot of my other mods are just fluff compared to those two. But when you add them all up they collectively make quite a difference.

Of course, buying myself the highest mpg hybrid ever built with my gas savings hasn't hurt the cause either

My favorite mod is my three-button shift knob, though. That's one badasss mod right there!

The Following User Says Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
UltArc (08-10-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,801 Posts
Is your vehicle gasoline or diesel?
Car or truck?
Then do you drive highway, city or mix?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Biggest change? Buying a more efficient car.

Unless you own an Insight or are one of the 1% who actually owns a VW XL1, there's always a more efficient car.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
You need to figure out what mods will work best for you, your vehicle, and your commute.

If you explain these things to us we'd be happy to help though.
Will do that right now. I'll make a new thread pertaining to my vehicle. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Peaty - '03 Honda Insight

Jimmy - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd, Extended Cab, SL
I agree with what the others have posted here, the answer "it depends" is true given how and why any of these things work. For me the one that stands out as true regardless city or highway, and is easy low hanging fruit to get is tire pressure. Tire Pressure works regardless of the driving style, city or highway... Tire pressure is always the first mod I make while I am trying to figure out the best driving style for the routes or commutes. Ranking however based on efficiency I don't think could be done as every commute, vehicle, and driver are different and how things respond are different.

One thing is for certain. The less driving we can do the less fuel we are going to burn. Try to combine trips, wait until you have a few things that need to be done where you need to use a car/truck etc. Try to to take care of multiple things in one trip if you can to reduce the number of times you have to hop in your vehicle. The worst mileage is when the car starts and has not come up to operational temps. Many of our hops in a car to run an errand the car hasn't even come up to full operating temp. So extending a trip into multiple stops can possibly extend the run times so that your getting the best performance from your fuel burned and you still reduce the number of runs you made.

I have been driving conservatively for a very long time, and I can say just when I think I have hit a plateau in how efficient I can be I learn or discover something new that seems to help me break through to a better mpg number. Recently I have been paying more attention to when I am able to coast and finding I can go a lot longer coasting and in places I didn't expect that coasting would work. I am a rookie compared to the guys here that go all out for the last drop of fuel... It sounds like a Maxwell house commercial, good to the last drop... :-)

The big thing to take away from all of it is that the biggest gain will be in you, and your adaption. These mods to our vehicles help, but the biggest factor is going to be you.

Someone else mentioned having the most fuel efficient car possible. I agree that certainly helps a great deal. I have noticed though even if you own the most fuel efficient car possible it is still up to the driver to maximize what that car can do. If I drive my Insight poorly then I can easily be down in the 40 mpg range in town. If however I adapt my style to the drive and learn then even my around town fuel economy jumps to the upper 50's and lower 60's. So I certainly agree on buying the most efficient vehicle possible is a great move if you can do it, and then get back to adjusting the loose nut between the seat and the controls! LOL

The lines sort of blur between what is the maximum we can get out of a given vehicle. Is it the vehicle limitation? Or our own limitation?

Reply  Post New Thread