EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   CVT tricks? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cvt-tricks-3064.html)

malibuguy 06-14-2008 09:17 AM

CVT tricks?

I'm now driving a Caliber for my commuter now, until Malibu4 is up & running (its apart getting valve seals)

i've been averaging 26-28mpg with regular driving (traffic & 80mph when i break free), & i'm now starting to try some things, but its seems even tho the CVT is reported more effecient then a auto, it seems like i work the engine more sometimes then i could with an auto & a lockup converter

i guess i'm curious what works with a CVT? I've been doing some N coasting...which after reading some other topics could be worse & some EOC, but i dunno on the gains yet, I just started doing them in the past few days

maybe i should get one of them scangauge things...

Jon M 06-14-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malibuguy (Post 34720)
maybe i should get one of them scangauge things...

That is step number one. It's hard to measure performance without a measuring device.

There's not really any "universal tricks" that work for everyone. Especially since everyone's commute is different.

bhazard 06-14-2008 10:34 AM

Slow down. 80mph is too much.

malibuguy 06-14-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhazard (Post 34732)
Slow down. 80mph is too much.

Lol, i still get passed at that speed, haha

malibuguy 06-14-2008 10:45 AM

i just ordered the scangaugeII

hopefully this thing really helps

RH77 06-14-2008 01:21 PM

The CVT is tricky. IMHO, I wouldn't EOC or that sort of thing. Just keep a light throttle to keep those revs low.

The Cal isn't as aerodynamic as the Neon, so anything over 60 is more and more money flying out of the tailpipe. It's your quest for FE -- so if 80 is where you want to be, it's your prerogative to stay there.

Ask yourself if you really want to save the fuel and if slowing below 80 is an option. Try it in 2-3 MPH increments. You'll still get passed doing 80 or 60, or probably even 90. Make the changes in small increments if you honestly want results.

I went through the same thought processes. It took me a couple of years to get comfortable with it. I learned quickly that amazing results can come from just slowing down. I just let people pass and stay out of the way. Life is good in the "slow lane". :)

RH77

tasdrouille 06-14-2008 08:07 PM

A CVT has the potential to be more efficient. But efficiency is often traded for driveability.

garys_1k 06-14-2008 09:49 PM

A CVT can increase efficiency by letting the engine operate closer to its optimum efficiency point for the amount of power you're using. However, most CVTs themselves are not very efficient (compared to a regular planetary auto) because their operating hydraulic pressures have to be higher to keep the friction-coupled power transfer parts in contact without slipping. So that can take back a lot of the efficiency gains from the engine.

malibuguy 06-14-2008 10:14 PM

my commute is horrible, 40miles one way with the middle bulk of the drive in Baltimores traffic, i normally leave early to hit less back up, & leave about 15-20minutes late to get that window of slightly less traffic in the afternoon

i'll try to slow down...its hard tho, by the time i hit Wilkens ave, people are doing 75+ in the slow lane & one can actully get a ticket for driving much slower then the traffic flow...which is kinda stupid