EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   cx/vx transmission (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cx-vx-transmission-25931.html)

Jakins 05-21-2013 01:06 PM

cx/vx transmission

does anyone know how to tell the difference between the super awesome civic cx/vx transmissions and the super mediocre dx/LX transmissions? supposedly they are both stamped p20 A000 even though they are both very different. im trying to get one for my civic HX. which also brings up another question. will my current VSS work in the cx/vx transmission? thanks dudes!

California98Civic 05-21-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakins (Post 372502)
does anyone know how to tell the difference between the super awesome civic cx/vx transmissions and the super mediocre dx/LX transmissions? supposedly they are both stamped p20 A000 even though they are both very different. im trying to get one for my civic HX. which also brings up another question. will my current VSS work in the cx/vx transmission? thanks dudes!

Since fith gear is the same on both sets of transmissions, the only way is to put it in 4th with a clutch plate installed and marked and count revolutions against the differential. Can be done with the transmission off the car and without taking apart tranny, I am told. I did not do it myself. I took the chance. And I got what I needed: a CX tranny from 1993.

EDIT: I found where Old Mech (I think) had posted this method: "get an old clutch and mark it at 12 o' clock before pushing the shift rod into the trans, putting it in 4th gear (0.853). Mark the differential. The final drive is 3.25 and 4th gear is 0.853, so 3.25 * 0.853 = 2.77225. Therefore it should take 2.77225 full revolutions of the clutch to make one full revolution of the differential. It should turn 2.77 times and end up pointing a little after 9'o clock to make one full revolution."

Good luck!

Rusty94cx 05-21-2013 09:31 PM

That way or if it's in a running car or dissamble it and count teeth. There are no other ways. Sucks hun. The final drive is all that is different.

Jakins 05-21-2013 09:51 PM

yah i know the final drive is the only difference. the 3.25 is what im looking at. i guess the dx is like 3.8 or something which isnt as good as m HX tranny. ive looked it up and talked to turbovr4guy and he said all of his vx cx trannys have the p20 cdoe with a J first. and from my research the dx/lx had a C first and the EX/si has a Y first. if this is correct then it should be very helpful because i cant find it listed ANYWHERE on the internet.

that is a great way to test it though california civic! thanks man, im not totally sure how many clicks the thing has to be with the tranny outside of the car to put it in 4th but i can figure it out.

anyone know if all of the VSS work the same in any transmission or do i need to get the vss gear that comes with it?

California98Civic 05-22-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakins (Post 372567)
yah i know the final drive is the only difference. the 3.25 is what im looking at. i guess the dx is like 3.8 or something which isnt as good as m HX tranny. ive looked it up and talked to turbovr4guy and he said all of his vx cx trannys have the p20 cdoe with a J first. and from my research the dx/lx had a C first and the EX/si has a Y first. if this is correct then it should be very helpful because i cant find it listed ANYWHERE on the internet.

that is a great way to test it though california civic! thanks man, im not totally sure how many clicks the thing has to be with the tranny outside of the car to put it in 4th but i can figure it out.

anyone know if all of the VSS work the same in any transmission or do i need to get the vss gear that comes with it?

The VSS should be the same, fifth or sixth generation. They report 60 mph at 1025 rpms of the VSS gear. And the speedo gears inside the tranny are the same size too, whether black or white, though shaped slightly differently.

Jakins 05-22-2013 12:50 PM

ah nice, allright.