EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   the "Daily Drive" thread - December 2007 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/daily-drive-thread-december-2007-a-268.html)

MetroMPG 12-10-2007 05:38 PM

the "Daily Drive" thread - December 2007

My brother called me up to help with a job just outside of town this afternoon (self-employed natural gas technician / HVAC guy).

So I got to fire up the Blackfly and take it out to try to get the most recent layer of rust off the brake rotors. :)

25 miles, 74.6 mpg (US) round trip. -3C, partially snow covered/wet roads, but fairly ideal traffic conditions (mid afternoon).

This was on a cold start - he was planning to pick me up, but had a change of plans, so I had to go without having had the EBH plugged in.

The "cold car penalty" was clear: I was having a really hard time getting it over 60 mpg until about 1 third of the way into the drive.

You people with short commutes & cold weather must be hurting.

Oh, and that's with the alternator on.

SVOboy 12-10-2007 05:57 PM

Uh oh! Alternator on...

You ever going to rig something up to charge the batt? Solar schmolar?

Lazarus 12-10-2007 06:10 PM

That really outstanding when you consider the temp, cold start, road condition and driver rustyness (is that a word). You could probably figure a conservative 15% handy cap. That would put you in the mid to high 80's.:turtle:

Still mid 70's in winter that's fantastic. :thumbup:

MetroMPG 12-10-2007 06:11 PM

It's not really the battery concern right now - it's the belt. I made up about 4 bungee belts this summer. They usually don't last very long, and I used up my last one a couple of weeks back. I just need to make a new batch.

Ideally, I need to put in an electric motor to drive the water pump - it'll be much easier on the belt.

MetroMPG 12-10-2007 06:13 PM

Laz: only possible today because of the trip length that let the car warm up & loosen up. Check my fuel economy last winter: it was 59, because the majority of the trips were short - let's say about 5 km each way.

SVOboy 12-10-2007 06:16 PM

Let's not forget you have the FS now as well, :D

DifferentPointofView 12-10-2007 10:17 PM

yea, I have a question. What type of battery are you running on?

MetroMPG 12-11-2007 09:07 AM

In which car? ...

The ForkenSwift runs on 8 golf cart batteries: 220 amp hour, 6v, flooded lead-acid.

When I run without the alternator in the Blackfly, I use 2 of the same type of batteries in series (for 12v), then paralleled with the stock 12v starting battery.

DifferentPointofView 12-11-2007 04:01 PM

I was just wondering if you used a high performance battery that's designed to run for many hours. I don't know if it's the same for batteries, but when you wire (DC wiring) 2 things together in series it cuts the amount of power in half. The opposite for Parallel.

MetroMPG 12-12-2007 05:29 PM

Well, a flooded lead-acid batt is designed to run for many hours, but I don't think anyone would call it high performance (relative to other battery chemistries).

---

Today's fuel consumption: 26 mpg (US). You read that right.

Ironically, that abysmal number is the result of the car's emissions test, running up and down on the dyno a bunch of times, and from idling while they were doing their thing.

The only day I had worse FE was when a vacuum line split, and the engine stuck in open loop.

OK, I'll admit I had a big part in the lousy numbers: I drove it super-inefficiently on the way to the garage, because it's only a couple of km away, and I needed to make sure it was hot for the test. So, I went in 2nd gear, at high rpm, with my left foot on the brake the whole way there. It was good and hot when I arrived, but my mileage was in the 30's.

Pulled off an even 100 mpg (US) on the way home (hot car, dry roads = easy to do), but even that couldn't salvage the day!