Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Biofuels Take a Black Mark

Remember all those people saying fuel from food is going to strain our food supply? There were right - sorta. But it's not corn or sugar. Ironically - it's oil. Demand has outpaced supply for edible oils - and globally, food prices are increasing with a vigorous acceleration.

blog Link

For those of us in N. America... It means more money for food. But for some - it means less food and certain (previously plentiful) foods when available :/

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I read a while back that the price of tortillas in some parts of Mexico quadrupled.

You might not think that is a big deal, but tortillas are a huge part of poorer peoples diets and main source of protein.

Imagine if your grocery bill went from $200 to $800. That would be a big deal for me!

The weird thing about ethanol is who's using it. It isn't so much the "alternative fuel thing" as you would think. In the four counties around Milwaukee, pretty much ALL gasoline has had 10% ethanol in it for a few years now due to "clean air laws"

(PS - just so you know, right after they introduced the E10 fuel, my economy dropped from 47 to 30 mpg, and eventually went back up to 35)

What that 10% ethanol really means is that every tenth person is driving around with 10 or 15 gallons of pure ethanol!

I think ethanol has a lot of advantages over gasoline, but it is sad to see it effect food costs.

Hmmm - I really am starting to talk myself into getting some big solar panels, aren't I....

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nomadic Chicken

<------

We feel the pinch of milk and eggs here in Arizona. Corn and some other grains to feed them are more expensive because of ethonal.
A year ago milk was probably around $2.75 a galon. now it's $4.75+ a galon easy.
Eggs are no longer $1.09 a dozen. now they are in the $2.50 = $2.75 range.

this link would be worse - it'd kill off all of our trees faster than they can grow.

however this link would work well. It'd be a messy job but at least someone would do it.

Reply  Post New Thread