EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   DATELINE TV show WATER FOR FUEL story (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/dateline-tv-show-water-fuel-story-7749.html)

bennelson 04-05-2009 07:41 PM

DATELINE TV show WATER FOR FUEL story

On NBC right now on DATELINE they are doing a "hidden-camera" investigative story on the popular "use water to make fuel to get incredible fuel economy" device.

It's at commercial break right now. Did anyone get a chance to watch this?

EDIT: Ha! The car actually got better fuel economy after the device was installed, WHEN THEY FLIPPED IT OFF!

wagonman76 04-05-2009 08:22 PM

I don't think I would trust anything on Dateline, ever since the early 90s when the story about the Chevy trucks with exploding gas tanks was rigged. They'll report whatever the highest paying supporter tells them to report.

Either way, I believe in the mods/techniques I have learned here, as opposed to HHO. I tried HHO once and could not tell any difference. But everything I have learned here has gotten me real FE gains.

tbirddillon 04-05-2009 08:38 PM

Hho Generator

I Am Sure You Have All Heard Of An Hho System To Improve Mpg. Dateline Nbc Had A Special On Tonight About Them And It Proved That They Are Bullcrap A Hoax A Gimmick Whatever You Wana Call It. They Spent Nearly $2000 To Have One Professionaly Installed And Tuned. They Then Brought It To A Government Certified Lab To Have The Car Retested For Mpg And The Mpg Actually Decreased When The Sytem Was Turned On. The Full Story Should Be On Dateline's Web Site If Anyone Wants To Read All The Details. Suprise These Things Don't Work.

Vwbeamer 04-05-2009 08:50 PM

Ha, no kidding.:)

ConnClark 04-06-2009 01:26 AM

Damn,

I missed it. Since M$ has its hooks into NBC maybe I'll get lucky and some one will post it to you tube so I can watch it. (My computer is M$ free)

It should be interesting to see how PESN tries to spin this :D

Tango Charlie 04-06-2009 09:14 AM

My mom called and told me to turn on the TV to watch this. Then she called back to ask me what I thought!

It was your typical hype on something we already know (at least around these parts) is a scam.
Nothing new for boobtoob reporting, really.

My favorite part was when the reporter asked the govt. guy what Dateline got for their $1900, and the guy said, "Taken." :p

...What I could do with $1900...

bennelson 04-06-2009 11:14 AM

I just thought that it was nice to have a television program that pointed out how much of a scam this was.

With how many scams were going on last summer, because of the $4 gas, it's good to point out to people what DOES and doesn't work.

I do believe that a big part of a web forum like this one is to clarify to the public legitimate technology as compared to Eco-snake-oil.

theunchosen 04-06-2009 12:13 PM

WELL. . .

I think someone had a legitimate hydrogen assist at the beginning and then some idiot came in and made a stupid assumption.

PM ran an inssue that had a car that ran on hydrogen gas. This is obviously not rocket science all you do is flow H2 into your air intake and the throttle body does the rest for you. Given, he did do a few things to modify it. I am pretty certain he hadchanged to individual throttle bodies with arrestor capability on each cylinder right outside the manifold and then switched on the tank. Actually I am pretty sure he had some simple valve tied into the. . .throttle. I'm going to have to look for that.

But anyway someone else developed the idea of using Solar panels all ovr their car to convert water to hydrogen on site(no dangerous compression tanks or refreigeration worries). The advantage was the guy didn't want to do anything he couldn't reverse and anything other than lead-acids were expensive at the time.

Final report was he got slightly better FE, he gained less than 20%. It was a truck and he had a covered bed, covered in panels. Overall not really worth it because the panels cost a small fortune.

like buying CF wheels to increase FE lol

Christ 04-06-2009 07:27 PM

"The sweetest fruit is always at the top of the tree... If you're brave enough to pick it."

Low hanging fruit is always great for a taste, but people always want more. They honestly will always believe that the "grass is greener" somewhere else, and many will SEE that it's greener, even when it's brown(s gas). They honestly want to believe they've done something good for themselves, and won't let anyone else "fool" them into believing otherwise.

There are still companies that sell fuel line magnets, and still people who buy them. This is evidence enough to prove my point.

theunchosen 04-06-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 96148)
"The sweetest fruit is always at the top of the tree... If you're brave enough to pick it."

Not to mince words with the subject, I agree with Christ, but the fruit being sweeter at the top of a tree makes sense. Thats where the tree will have stockpiled its freshest carbohydrates for growth.

That said as far as human taste buds are concerned I am sure its indistinguishable. . .

What happened here was some idiot thought to himself, "well that fella is using electricity to turn water into fuel. . .I can do that! I can do it with my alternator!" I asked one of the guys hawking these things, "where does the electricity come from?" "the alternator." . . . "How does the alternator make electricity?" . . . nothing "It comes from the crank," he said as if I was stupid.

If you have motion why would you convert it back to fuel so you could create motion?

If you have external electricity coming into the car(solar or if it generates electricity through wind or something when its parked) and you convert that to useable fuel for your enjoy thats all well and marginally beneficial.

Lol those fuel magnets would have to be on the order of a half gauss before you could even detect a better "alignment." I shuld have put parentheses around better not alignment. . . oh well

Christ 04-06-2009 09:26 PM

All I have to say is "LOL".

Sometimes, the stupid people are necessary. Most of the time, they're a burden. (When they're necessary, it's only to make the marginal seem intelligent enough to pass for a smart person... i.e. elections.)

theunchosen 04-06-2009 09:42 PM

It's actually probably dumb in alot more weighs than the obvious. For instance we know very well what happens when we burn fuel at atmospheric concentrations and o2 rich concentrations. . .but there are not very many experiments with hydrogen at high temperatures mixed in. It might make the engine more brittle because thats what happens when water breaks apart in your cylinder(vapor in Atmo concentrations. . .obviously if you dump water its thermal stress cracking.)

But hey if you have a way to get small amounts of juice for "free" and can store the created H2 and O2 safely till you wanna use it go ahead. . .Keep in mind its going to be alot like nitrous. . .

Christ 04-06-2009 09:45 PM

I have a set of plans for one of the devices in question, but only for something to play with on a personal level, and I"ll probably never actually build it.

theunchosen 04-06-2009 09:53 PM

I HAVE one. . .but I was going to run it off a set of low wattage SEs. Until I tested the amount of gas they would be producing and at a locked throttle position RPM didn't even wiggle.

Which, um is the subject of some interest since the ICE-SE e motor concept floundered rather miserably. . .

evolutionmovement 04-06-2009 10:17 PM

I have trouble believing you could extract a useable volume of hydrogen to run a vehicle with a simple solar panel in a reasonable amount of time and then you'd need to compress it for storage. It certainly wouldn't produce enough to power it on the fly! I'd need to see some very convincing math to think otherwise.

On a vaguely related note, water injection is sometimes used on highly turbocharged engines to cool the cylinder temps down.

theunchosen 04-06-2009 10:47 PM

Over the course of this discussion I seem to have mixed two topics up. One a man powered a car on hydrogen from a cylinder. a second man supplemented his car by adding hydrogen directly to the intake(think like a dry shot of nitrous) along with regular air and gasoline. outcome of 2 was his engine ran a touch lean because it was expecting the H2 gas to be air containing some O2. . .but there was alot more O2 in it than expected.

You are dead straight. The guy had a truck and the entire back was covered with PVs and he only saw low improvements. He then used them on his house(original intent).

The only. . I guess advantage you could call this system is a go-between poor mans hybrid. It gives you a little boost during the day like a hybrid does all the time, but its not really cheap. I mean if you can get solar panels free then yes it is(I watch for unattended solar fountains and highway signs, just kidding).

The other problems are most cars don't have any good surface area for this. Your roof and trunk are usually the only good places to put pv(hood can get too close to thermal max once you stop moving and shut it off). That said slapping them on the roof of your box truck or minivan will at least annihilate the parisitic drag of the AC and power steering and otherelectric functions. If you still have juice you now know what to do with it.

A while back I posited the idea of using the exhaust heat to run small Stirling engines and have both of them generate electricity and then just use electric motors(gets the immediate efficiency of ICE combined with the max efficiency of SE as a two stage system(more efficient than one phase between the same two resevoirs)).

Needless to say there are too many conversions mentioned above that misplace energy. My considerations have somewhat abandoned SEs for the time being, but this one is still lurking out there.

The problem with the water for fuel is you are taking fuel converting it to useful work and converting it to fuel and then useful work. Energy cannot be created or destroyed but it frequently goes places you don't want it to(friction and under your window sills). converting always loses energy when mechanical work is involved and thats exactly what they saw when they turned the unit on. the alternator seeing a large draw and inefficiently converting work to electricity and then inefficiently covnerting water to H2-O2 and then inefficently burning air,H2-O2 and Iso-Octanyl.

Using an SE downstream from the engine along the exhaust you have a 400 degree temperature difference and the possibility of work, without being parisitic to the engine(It will cause slightly more backpressure on the engine as the air cools and decelerates to density increases but thats pretty negligible). If you draw 3 HP out of the SE, convert H20 to H2-O2 and then burn it your engine is getting 2 HP "free." Not really free, but its energy that you had previously decided was worthless.

Problem currently faced is no one manufactures an SE of this size. SES builds pretty huge 25 KW SEs that run on a 650 degree difference and there are toys. Nowhere in between.

rkcarguy 04-07-2009 03:32 PM

There are 2 things that must be realized to sum up:

A: As said above, producing hydrogen using the power from your car isn't going to increase mpg, it should decrease it. You don't get more power out of burning the hydrogen cracked out of water than it takes to do the "cracking".

B: Hydrogen can be produced at home, stored, and used in a vehicle. To have any range, it must be stored at a high pressure and then you have a H-bomb on wheels.
Imagine the scene of an accident..."were waiting for forensics to arrive to get particles from the crater so we can find out who hit who".

theunchosen 04-07-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkcarguy (Post 96342)

B: Hydrogen can be produced at home, stored, and used in a vehicle. To have any range, it must be stored at a high pressure and then you have a H-bomb on wheels.
Imagine the scene of an accident..."were waiting for forensics to arrive to get particles from the crater so we can find out who hit who".

totally agree with the first part.

The second part. . .It's only as dangerous as rupturing your fuel tank. Most likely what would happen is a valve would snap off the tank causing it to accelerate in whatever direction the valve was.

Hydrogen is very energetic and much lighter than air, not like propane, methane or iso-octanyl. The hydrogen once its out of the tank would rapidly expand and no longer be dense enough for combustion. Seriously try getting some to burn more than a few inches from a small outlet.

ConnClark 04-07-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theunchosen (Post 96379)
totally agree with the first part.

The second part. . .It's only as dangerous as rupturing your fuel tank. Most likely what would happen is a valve would snap off the tank causing it to accelerate in whatever direction the valve was.

Hydrogen is very energetic and much lighter than air, not like propane, methane or iso-octanyl. The hydrogen once its out of the tank would rapidly expand and no longer be dense enough for combustion. Seriously try getting some to burn more than a few inches from a small outlet.

Actually a large hydrogen leak can be very dangerous. It will escape from a pressure tank and form a huge combustible cloud in a short amount of time before it has a chance to disperse. Hydrogen has a lower explosive limit of 4% and an upper explosive limit of 75%. This wide range of flammability and its rapid combustion speed can result in quite a powerful explosion.

All the big car companies that are experimenting with hydrogen vehicles use metal hydride hydrogen tanks. The reason is it prevents the hydrogen from being released quickly in case of a storage tank breach. This provides time for it to disperse or burn off slowly.

theunchosen 04-07-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 96393)
All the big car companies that are experimenting with hydrogen vehicles use metal hydride hydrogen tanks. The reason is it prevents the hydrogen from being released quickly in case of a storage tank breach. This provides time for it to disperse or burn off slowly.

They actually use them because its easier. Its what the aircraft companies have been doing for years with oxygen. The reason is the hydride is MUCH lighter than any tank. Even if we ignore safety completely the pressurized cylinder that would be needed to hold that much H2 would weight a ton.

Scuba tanks rated up to a few thousand PSI only hold 60-100 ft^3 of air(not very much fuel) and they weigh in around from 25-50 lbs dry. Multiply that by 10 times or so to get a decent amount of fuel and you weigh four times more than my gas tank. OR as much as my gas tank and engine for just the fuel.

H2 does have a very high dispersive rate. Its collisions are much more elastic than as I mentioned methane or propane. a LEAK would be very dangerous yes because it would be a much more controlled pressure release than the tank being ruptured. I've been in the shop when H2 tanks and O2 tanks are dropped and its pretty nerve racking to see it coming.

Whenever high-pressured vessels rupture from a high energy impact(car collision, bullets, dropping a substantially heavy enough object on them) the pressure can force massive crack propogation. If and when they break they go in in a big way. Leaks usually occur at the valves or seems and are caused by fatigue.

Seriously try to light a stream of H2 coming out something the size of a welding torch from 3 inches away from the nozzle. Not happening. Oxyacetlyne Will do it just fine, propane and methane will do it to. Its why they use hydrogen in High Energy heat engines because it very quickly converts energy to movement(pressure).