EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Decrease MPG in 2011 Camry (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/decrease-mpg-2011-camry-28937.html)

Neuteredbynature 05-12-2014 01:50 AM

Decrease MPG in 2011 Camry

Hello,

I have a 2011 Toyota Camry, which I've had for 3years. In January I took it in for routine maintenance check. When I got it back I began to have issues. With a full tank my miles at empty was usually between 420-470 miles, yet after the maintenance check in January it went down to 350-380 miles. In April I took it in to the dealers because the car was decelerating on its own, not too bad just enough for me to notice, and then while parked it accelerated on its own and would not decelerate. They told me it was the abs actuator and said they had to replace it. I figured once that was replaced my car would be okay. I needed to fuel up a few days ago, tank was near empty but the car had only gone 270 miles. What the hell?! Can any one tell me what might cause this? I am at a loss. 😭

Baltothewolf 05-12-2014 02:16 AM

What was done to the car when it first started having issues...? Also, I'm going to assume that you don't have a check engine light right?

Neuteredbynature 05-12-2014 03:18 AM

Nothing was done for the decrease in MPG. In January my tires were aligned, that is it. After that I began to notice a decrease in MPG. In late April the abs actuator was changed because I started to experience sudden deceleration and acceleration. This is all that has been done to my car. I figured the faulty actuator might also be responsible for my fuel efficiency but after fueling a few days ago I can say it wasn't. And no My check engine light has not come on.

Thank you for responding��

Baltothewolf 05-12-2014 11:46 AM

I don't know Crap about cars except the basic stuff, but unless you are leaking fuel, I don't think it's possible to get a 50% drop in economy like that..

cowmeat 05-12-2014 12:33 PM

Probably still an ABS issue if they replaced it. Or maybe ABS plus crappy alignment job.
Aslo possible: ABS & crappy alignment & an oopsy while they were changing out the ABS (wire shorting, pulled a vacuum line loose, etc. . . .)
If it's not straight-up ABS failure, you'll see it in tire wear or eventually it'll throw a code unless . . . . check the parking brake, if it's pulled (or pushed) one notch in, it'll kill your gas mileage and it'll feel like you have no power, and one notch might not cause the brake light to pop on
Does it feel grabby at all when you brake?

roosterk0031 05-12-2014 12:47 PM

Does it steer different than before? Pull the ABS fuse and see if that makes any difference. I don't think ABS should drag during normal driving, but I could see a malfunctioning ESC (electronic stability control) causing it to apply the brakes. Could try to pull that fuse or turn it off if possible.

I think they added some toe in to make it track straighter. Do you have the alignment chart to show the before and after numbers.

JRMichler 05-12-2014 01:12 PM

If something is dragging enough to affect gas mileage, it is getting hot. Drive on the highway for a few miles, then coast down to about 20 MPH, then stop. Reach through or around the wheels and touch the brake disks or drums. They should be lukewarm at most. If too hot to hold, that brake is dragging.

Neuteredbynature 05-16-2014 03:51 AM

So I checked, nothing is dragging. I've been tracking my miles and fuel gauge each time I drive. I notice a low rattling sound and yesterday I noticed the car began shaking when I turned the AC on. The shaking got strong every time I came to a complete stop. When I started to drive there was resistance. I will continue monitoring my car and checking off the thing you guys suggested. Thank you.

JRMichler 05-16-2014 01:17 PM

Even if the AC works, it sounds like something is wrong with the AC compressor.

ksa8907 05-16-2014 03:55 PM

Unplug the electric connector for the a/c clutch and see if your mileage comes back.