EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Delaware to fine left lane campers (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/delaware-fine-left-lane-campers-21539.html)

tjts1 04-20-2012 12:39 PM

Delaware to fine left lane campers

Quote:

Delaware may be joining Kansas, Oklahoma, Washington and other states in cracking down on drivers who use the left lane for more than passing. A bill in the Delaware legislature would institute fines of up to $230 for drivers who camp out in the left lane on roads with at least two lanes in each direction, according to USA Today.
Del. latest to take aim at left-lane dawdlers
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....er-traffic.jpg

What do you think?

t vago 04-20-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

A bill in the Delaware Legislature would crack down on left-lane crawlers who test the patience of drivers behind them by imposing a fine of up to $230.
I do not agree with the proposed punishment.

Rather, the violator ought to have their driver's license revoked, their vehicle impounded, and still face jail time and/or pay a $1000 fine.

Then again, that's just me.

Fat Charlie 04-20-2012 01:01 PM

Awesome. Keep right except to pass. We'd see a lot less chaos out there and much smoother traffic flow if more places had (and enforced) that law.

New Hampshire:
TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 265
RULES OF THE ROAD
Obedience to and Effect of Traffic Laws
265:16 Drive on Right Side of Roadway; Exceptions. –
II. Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

TracerZX2 04-20-2012 01:12 PM

Missouri has had the law for years and just started enforcing it again, approximately $300 fine.

Kansas just put into law last year, approximately $500 fine

ecomodded 04-20-2012 01:27 PM

I wish they enforced that law in British Columbia (canada)
Seems to always be some jackass about 60 years old who thinks the right lane is there just for him,9 times out of 10 he would (60 year old jackass) stay completely even with the slow lane effectively making a road block, preventing anyone from passing till said jackass pulls off the highway.
And yes i do honk and give the lame brains the finger. I hate those twits..

ProDarwin 04-20-2012 01:28 PM

Many stats have this law and those exact signs, but I have never ever heard of it being enforced :(

In remotely congested areas, its damn near impossible to enforce anyway. All lanes are full, so its impossible to determine who in the left lane is responsible for it moving slowly.

Frank Lee 04-20-2012 01:35 PM

I do my dawdling in the right lane so I don't care about any law. Vago is just plain nuts though- that punishment sure doesn't fit the crime. :rolleyes:

TheEnemy 04-20-2012 02:19 PM

I wish they would enforce that in my state, here they can give you a ticket for passing on the right.

user removed 04-20-2012 02:31 PM

If they enforced that law here the traffic jams would be twice as bad. More merging accidents to boot.
Heck half the time when you get in the left lane to pass, the Moron in the right lane speeds up 10 MPH. Stay behind the same Moron and he brake checks you.

regards
Mech

Fat Charlie 04-20-2012 02:55 PM

I use the left lane all the time at a particularly bad complex of exits. The right lane isn't available for through traffic around there.

The laws are about smooth traffic flow- you know, safety. Letting people in and out without hitting them is all a part of being safe.

jakobnev 04-20-2012 03:14 PM

How about this: every time you pass someone on the right, you get to collect $1000 from them.

TracerZX2 04-20-2012 03:37 PM

If it is like here, they don't enforce it inside of city limits, just on rural highway. As others have said, it would be ridiculous to enforce in towns.

t vago 04-20-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 301967)
I do my dawdling in the right lane so I don't care about any law. Vago is just plain nuts though- that punishment sure doesn't fit the crime. :rolleyes:

You may be right.

Okay, no jail time for violators, and no automatic revocation of the violator's driver's license. Maybe just assign points instead. Everything else I mentioned should still provide an economic incentive for law enforcement to actually enforce this law.

tjts1 04-20-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 301995)
How about this: every time you pass someone on the right, you get to collect $1000 from them.

Best idea so far :thumbup:

larrybuck 04-22-2012 06:31 PM

I have a different direction I am coming from. I intentionally like to take long trips 4-5 states away on the least congested freeways I can find.

As you know, the American highway system as a whole has some pretty beat up roads,
that now days seems never enough budget to cover.

Older pavement right lanes are beat up, patched, and rutted with heavy truck traffic.

I often go to the left for a smoother, more mpg ride. I watch my mirrors constantly, and always return back to the right early enough never to confuse traffic catching up.

So in your view, IF; I were in one of those states mentioned, traveling ALONE; that a hidden cop might ticket me for going 50mph in the tullies by myself, just because I happen to be in the left lane???

Many places have such a difference of quality between the 2 lanes. Even expansion
joint wear can differ wildly out in the west.

Thank goodness Idaho seems to be about 90% fixed. Most of their I-84 used to be pretty rough. Utah, the same. Nebraska can still try the patience of any short wheelbased light vehicle many places on I-80.

Anybody near Omaha; sorry! A few years ago, I felt like I was tearing apart the front
suspension on the '82 VW Quantum wagon I drove then. I vowed to not return to that area of I-80 until I know its not like that anymore!!!

I admit to being spoiled. As a whole, Oregon, and Washington's roads I know are silk
compared to rough wintertime's North, and Northeast USA's life.

Do you guys just replace shock/struts every year, or what???

I like Nebraska, but some of the older back highways with those constant joint expansions just about drive me nuts! This is all at speeds never above 50-55mph.!!!

Fat Charlie 04-23-2012 08:59 AM

Cop: "Sir, I have to cite you because state law requires you to travel in the rightmost available lane."

Driver: "I was. You call that gravel pit over there a lane???"

It's not shocks and struts that go out here, but sway bar links and tie rod ends fly off the shelves.

slowmover 04-23-2012 06:04 PM

Don't like the right lane? Buy a better car . . or travel by an alternative.

And something to think about:

Now, let's see who can define the dfference between passing and overtaking? The morons sit in the left lane under the impression that if they can see a vehicle ahead who is slower than they it then means they are free to stay in the left lane indefinitely.

Always fun, then, as I signal my move to said left lane just ahead of them . . . so, where do overtaking and passing overlap?

Not that it much matters to me if I am going around someone, as that turn signal is not on for asking permission.

rollercoaster 04-23-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 301951)

Hooray ! :thumbup:

slowmover 04-23-2012 08:19 PM

The left lane bandits don't think of themselves as "slow" is the problem with that sign. The one that counts reads KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS. VIOLATORS WILL BE FINED.

gone-ot 04-25-2012 04:55 PM

Playing the Devil's Advocate, I ask the simple question:

"What gives those who speed the right to expect the left lane is their 'private' inter/intra-state drag strip?"

TracerZX2 04-25-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 303069)

"What gives those who speed the right to expect the left lane is their 'private' inter/intra-state drag strip?"

No one. It enforces the courtesy of those who travel under or well under the speed limit. It does increase the amount of traffic that can flow through any pattern if everyone abides by it. This has been an unwritten law for years, taught in drivers ed for years.

slowmover 04-26-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 303069)

Just observe the upper speed limit and ignore the back up, if any. There is not, nor never was, any right-of-way concerned with speeding.

gone-ot 04-26-2012 01:35 PM

slowmover -- so who gets the "win"--the Devil or Delaware?

Peter7307 04-27-2012 12:52 AM

We had the "Slow vehicles keep left" signage for years too.

Problem was most people went to court arguing they were not a slow vehicle and the law was too open to individual interpretation.

Resolution was to alter the signs which now read "Keep left unless overtaking"

We drive on the opposite side to the US.

Peter.

Fat Charlie 04-27-2012 08:36 AM

I knew a guy who "interptreted" it that way. I pointed out if he wasn't passing anyone then nothing out there was slower than him, so wasn't he the slowest thing on the road at the time? He got more incoherent than usual and shut up.

In related news, my dad was a left lane sitter forever until he bought an old Porsche and joined the local club. A 944 might mean something on the street and it was more fun than his Accord, but on a track full of other Porsches it's just an obstacle. I haven't seen him in the left lane without a good reason since.

slowmover 04-27-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 303258)
slowmover -- so who gets the "win"--the Devil or Delaware?

It's the hellifino problem.