EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Did/Do you build car models? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/did-do-you-build-car-models-22139.html)

larrybuck 06-03-2012 11:32 PM

Did/Do you build car models?

Time wise, my peak building period was probably 14-16 years old.

My 1st one was built for me by my Dad: An AMT '63 Impala HT. I still have it!

After nearly 50 years the hood, the intake manifold, and carb, air cleaner, and one side of the triple taillights are missing, but the rest is intact.
Not painted, perhaps a little plain in white.

The 1st one I built myself was a 1/32nd mid '60's VW Bug. Plain white, no attempt to paint. I remember it well, because I was such a rookie that excess glue was smeared over the body.

Ever like a model so well that you followed it up with an actual purchase of the same vehicle? In my case, that was a '60 Chevy Sedan Delivery!
The model was called Bad Company. It featured a hugger orange body,
smooth, and bumperless, a custom hidden headlights front grille, a tilt front end, and a cargo area based sunroof that was tinted also orange.
Nice custom wheels, a slightly lowered stance, and it was supposed to have a Z28 engine.

Later on I bought a real one for $200. The orange was faded, there was some rust, but it ran great with its 283, and 3 on the tree.
I was heavy into multiple vehicles at that time, so didn't keep it that long, or cherry it out.

A couple of fun models I built were a '67 Chevy PU set up to be a tow truck, and a '68 Chevy PU set up to be a fire engine.

I entered a '66 Vette convertible in a Junior High School contest.

It was my 1st attempt to paint anything. It was rather crude, but I still thought it was cool to walk down the school hallway, and see it displayed in a glassed in like trophy shelfed area. I painted it red. (not too original
a color choice)

The greatest detail, and effort I have put into any model would be a '57 Chevy HT I did at about 16 years old. This is bothering to paint battery caps, the exhaust underneath, and so on.
Moved too many times, it is gone, but well remembered.

The model I was most excited about finding, building, and staring at; was a '70 Hemi Cuda with the body already in that famous green.

Our family had taken a day trip over to the Oregon coast to the town of Astoria. I found the model in a 99cent store. 1/25th, MPC brand I believe. The real '70 's had just come out. There was a bridge being built between Astoria over the river to Washington. It wasn't done yet. We crossed with our car on a large ferry that naturally was shut down when the bridge opened. The ferry was so cool, it was sad to see it go. So that model brings a lot of memories.

Now on tap waiting for me to be in that perfect patience mood one has to be in to do it right awaits the following:

A '63 1/2 Ford Mustang concept car

'70 Superbird

'70 AAR 'Cuda ( the hemi one mentioned earlier I no longer have)

last but not least is the '70 Buick GSX that I literally bought at the real car Portland Swap Meet about 3 years ago. The box was sitting on top of a car he was trying to sell...he had an outside paid stall. I remember dickering for a good price. The how, and where are just as interesting to me as building the kit.

PS....I forgot I have a black 1/25th Revelle American Graffiti '55 Chevy 2door post, with the radiased rear wheel wells.
I love '55's. I have owned 3 real ones. This model will be built with the front bumper intentionally left off, because that deletion to me makes the '55 look so much tougher than a Grandma safety bumper look. (they are a massive to my eyes...bumper)

Though I probably wouldn't own another real '55 due to its weight, and size, I dream about making a downsized replica based on a CRX.
Just throw in good stereo sounds of a tough sounding V8 at appropriate times; good to go!

Still would like to do a '60 Chevy wagon made to look like above mentioned sedan delivery, this would be tastefully lowered ( a lot of tire can fit in those wells), would be titled: Good News, and would be set up for modern cornering abilities, even track days, with 2 pull outs to double as a camping vehicle. Why not dream big????

I'm looking forward to your stories.

I remember each town where I ever bought a real vehicle as well.
From the Portland area, I have gone as far as Champaign,IL, and Miami, FL., to find cars, and drove/delivered one to Hollywood,CA to sell with the buyer providing my airplane ticket home.

Great memories; what are yours???

mcrews 06-04-2012 05:30 AM

I also built model cars....earlier age 9-12. Only had a $2 allowance so I had to save for 3 weeks to get one. Didn't do much painting.
I do remember 'modding' some.
I got into Boy Scouts at 11 and got tapped uot into the Order of the Arrow at 12. I became engrossed in the indian lore and built an Indian Dance costume and a Horned War bonnet. Still only had the same 2 dollar allowance so tha's where the limited funds went.

cfg83 06-04-2012 02:02 PM

larrybuck -

Back in the day it was almost 100% 1/72nd scale war models. Today it is 1/32nd scale slot cars :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-cf...s-back-row.jpg

The last few years it's been mostly slot car maintenance, but maybe 5 years ago I was making cars from scratch. The back row in the picture above are home built.

CarloSW2