EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Diesel with short trips lately, is it bad for the car and environment? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diesel-short-trips-lately-bad-car-environment-39400.html)

iikhod 05-21-2021 06:32 AM

Diesel with short trips lately, is it bad for the car and environment?

I have a opel combo with the 1.7L turbodiesel engine (y17dtl)

My commute shortened from 30 to 20 kilometers and there's some short trips mainly driving the kids to school in bad weather. School is 3kms from home.

Thing is, i do quite a bit some longer trips (50-350kms)where the diesel car is at its best.

Am i killing my car with short trips and polluting excessively?

redneck 05-21-2021 07:40 AM

No...

:turtle:

>

Piotrsko 05-21-2021 10:06 AM

Yes depending on how long it takes to reach thermostat opening and peak engine efficiency. If it's up to temp at the start, the low temp enrichments are off. My F250 in the winter has no defrost heat for 4 miles because it's trying to warm 8 gallons of coolant with reduced btu fuel and it barely generates enough heat at idle to dewax the fuel

rmay635703 05-21-2021 10:21 AM

My antique NA diesel did tons of short trips in -20F without issue through 438,000 miles

My fathers TDI had to have the intake and egr decoked all the time

Short trips on a turbo in cold weather result in new maintenance requirements

Autobahnschleicher 05-21-2021 11:35 AM

You will need to do frequent longer trips or the DPF will clog up eventualy.
The local trick to clean a DPF is very bad for your fuel efficiency as it involves driving over 200 km/h for an extended period of time to get the EGTs up and burn the filter free.

iikhod 05-21-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher (Post 648548)
You will need to do frequent longer trips or the DPF will clog up eventualy.
The local trick to clean a DPF is very bad for your fuel efficiency as it involves driving over 200 km/h for an extended period of time to get the EGTs up and burn the filter free.

Luckily no DPF.
Every time i get a chance to go longer trips i do some "italian tuneup" - driving to clean stuff up.
In warm weather the car gets up to normal temps during the commute but anything below 10°C and the meter stays down. That's what got me into thinking this can't be good.

Edit:guess it is time to sell this car and go for a petrol car.

redneck 05-21-2021 04:02 PM

Curious.

Do you like, or enjoy your current vehicle ?

Does it meet your needs ?

>

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-21-2021 06:46 PM

If your main concern is getting to its optimum temperature, a partial grille block won't hurt. As long as the glowplugs and the thermostat are OK, there won't be too much to worry about cold startings.

iikhod 05-22-2021 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 648572)

Curious.

Do you like, or enjoy your current vehicle ?

Does it meet your needs ?

>

Well, yes. Lots of room and smallish consumption. Maybe a little underpowered for trailer towing.

Piotrsko 05-22-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 648553)
Luckily no DPF.
Every time i get a chance to go longer trips i do some "italian tuneup" - driving to clean stuff up.
In warm weather the car gets up to normal temps during the commute but anything below 10°C and the meter stays down. That's what got me into thinking this can't be good.

Edit:guess it is time to sell this car and go for a petrol car.

Two words: engine preheat.

Isaac Zachary 05-22-2021 11:07 AM

There are advantages a diesel can have over a gasoline engine in short trips. During startup, both diesel and gasoline engines will have more unburned fuel during the combustion and exhaust strokes. In a gasoline engine the extra fuel washes the cylinders of oil and causes premature wear. In a diesel the fuel acts as a lubricant, so less cylinder wear.

But then there's the DPF as others have mentioned. Of course you did mention that you didn't have a DPF, so maybe a diesel car would be the best short trip option.

An engine block heater will help, but a lot only help so much. Most only keep the engine a bit warmer than ambient and are really just there to keep the coolant from freezing in artic conditions. When it's -60⁰F my OEM block heater only keeps the engine at about -30⁰F. A 1,000W or great block heater would be the way to go on either gasoline or diesel, even during the summer.

Diesel emissions equipment also work better if you wrap up the exhaust system with heat tape.

Of course the king of short trips is the BEV, as well as they plugin hybrid. Or a bicycle.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-23-2021 12:27 AM

With the electronic engine management, fuel washing oil from the cylinder walls don't seem to go the same extent as in an older one with full-mechanical injection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 648618)
Maybe a little underpowered for trailer towing.

Is is that 75hp version?

iikhod 05-23-2021 01:58 AM

I use the block heater when it's 5°C or below but doesn't seem to make much of a difference. (bad/broken heater?)
I get warm air to the cabin cuick enough though.

Rooster:This is the 65hp version without an intercooler.

iikhod 05-23-2021 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 648639)
There are advantages a diesel can have over a gasoline engine in short trips. During startup, both diesel and gasoline engines will have more unburned fuel during the combustion and exhaust strokes. In a gasoline engine the extra fuel washes the cylinders of oil and causes premature wear. In a diesel the fuel acts as a lubricant, so less cylinder wear.

But then there's the DPF as others have mentioned. Of course you did mention that you didn't have a DPF, so maybe a diesel car would be the best short trip option.

An engine block heater will help, but a lot only help so much. Most only keep the engine a bit warmer than ambient and are really just there to keep the coolant from freezing in artic conditions. When it's -60⁰F my OEM block heater only keeps the engine at about -30⁰F. A 1,000W or great block heater would be the way to go on either gasoline or diesel, even during the summer.

Diesel emissions equipment also work better if you wrap up the exhaust system with heat tape.

Of course the king of short trips is the BEV, as well as they plugin hybrid. Or a bicycle.

These are all good points :thumbup:
I would gladly drive an EV or hybrid but they are waaay out of my price range at the moment. We use bikes for short trips as much as possible. Not so much i would like to, though.

Grant-53 05-23-2021 03:19 PM

We use recirculating engine heaters for the snow plow trucks here. I made a fairing for my bike to cover from my shoulders to the knees. For me a short strip is 10 miles. Temperature affects battery output.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-23-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 648686)
I use the block heater when it's 5°C or below but doesn't seem to make much of a difference. (bad/broken heater?)

Do you keep it parked outside overnight?

Quote:

This is the 65hp version without an intercooler.
I don't remember actually having seen such engine without the intercooler. Not that it was much of a strong seller in the regional export markets supplied from Brazil as its IDI naturally-aspirated predecessor used to be...

iikhod 05-24-2021 05:20 AM

Yes, it's under a roof at home. In the winter sometimes in the warm garage when available.

At work it's not under a roof but i can use the block heater in there.

It's a bit odd IMO that an turbodiesel engine is only 65hp...why add an another part needing maintenance for basicly nothing? :D
Surely you could get the same amount of power out of a n/a engine.

Isaac Zachary 05-24-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 648731)
Yes, it's under a roof at home. In the winter sometimes in the warm garage when available.

At work it's not under a roof but i can use the block heater in there.

It's a bit odd IMO that an turbodiesel engine is only 65hp...why add an another part needing maintenance for basicly nothing? :D
Surely you could get the same amount of power out of a n/a engine.

I had an N/A 1.6L VW diesel that produced 53hp at sea level. There turbo version would have produced 69hp.

However, at my altitude N/A vehicles lose about 1/3 their horsepower. So my diesel was probably around 35hp. Anyhow, it sure felt like 35hp. I even got pulled over because the officer was concerned I was going so slow and producing so much smoke as I had it wound up in low gear climbing an 8% grade.

iikhod 05-24-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 648744)
I had an N/A 1.6L VW diesel that produced 53hp at sea level. There turbo version would have produced 69hp.

However, at my altitude N/A vehicles lose about 1/3 their horsepower. So my diesel was probably around 35hp. Anyhow, it sure felt like 35hp. I even got pulled over because they officer was concerned I was going so slow and producing so much smoke as I had it wound up in low gear climbing an 8% grade.

Used to have 3 different 1.6 diesel vw caddys...after two n/a versions the turbodiesel was like warp drive :D

Ecky 05-24-2021 08:04 PM

I think one thing is being missed here: while shorter trips are more polluting and damaging per mile (or kilometer) traveled, every long trip starts as a short trip and pollutes/wears the same until the engine warms up. Driving less is almost always a net win, even if your tank averages go down.

Admittedly there are some maintenance items associated with the engine not getting as warm, but there are probably equally many (or more) from driving a total greater distance.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-25-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 648731)

Besides the altitude compensation already mentioned, it's also worth noticing a turbocharger may render the parameters for emissions control more predictable for the engineering.