EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Diesel vs petrol question (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diesel-vs-petrol-question-37017.html)

matt36415 11-18-2018 05:51 AM

Diesel vs petrol question

I drive a courier van, ford transit, manual 6 speed, diesel, 2.2 litre I think. Over a 480km trip, 90% at 100km/h - 60mph, it regularly gets 6.7-7.0 litres per 100km. My car, 3.5litre V6 Camry, petrol, 6 speed auto gets 7.4 litres per 100km on a good trip for the same road at the same speed... over many trips. Van has a far larger frontal area and is fairly brick shaped, has a bull bar too and Im pretty sure its heavier.

Why can the van do better than my car? I understand auto vs manual but there must be more going on, does diesel have far more energy per litre? I drive the van pretty hard but usually I am in no rush in my car.

Nedlom 11-18-2018 07:33 AM

Yep, diesel has more energy per unit, plus diesel engines have a more efficient combustion process.

slowmover 11-18-2018 09:47 AM

Work vehicles are often (maybe usually) geared for steady state cruise. Can handle being fully loaded in terms of overall powertrain performance. But can slow up to speed.

Passenger vehicles are overpowered. Set up for acceleration.

While not strictly accurate, the above makes sense when one tries to use one vehicle in place of the other.

oil pan 4 11-18-2018 11:27 AM

If the diesel is a turbo diesel then it really isn't fair.
You have 2 engines in the diesel versus one in the gas.
That turbocharger is working to recover waste hest in the exhaust to force more air into the engine.
Diesels get better fuel economy with more air.

airbiteses 11-18-2018 12:10 PM

Yes, they are more economical but they are more harmful to the environment, they are carcinogen when breathing fumes, and they are more expensive to repair but these new cars with this engine.

oil pan 4 11-18-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbiteses (Post 584081)
Yes, they are more economical but they are more harmful to the environment, they are carcinogen when breathing fumes, and they are more expensive to repair but these new cars with this engine.

Gasoline fumes are loaded with benzene which is a major cancer causer.
Is burning more fuel not also harmful to the environment?

RedDevil 11-18-2018 02:34 PM

If you live anywhere near Autobahn 40 in Germany you'd better think twice before buying a diesel car...

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/ge...obahn-network/

Here in Holland more and more cities move towards banning diesels of a certain age, or altogether, in order to meet the micro particulate and NOx air pollution standards.
Recent research has shown micro particulates are far more harmful than was previously assumed, so there's no turning back this trend. Diesel is on its way out, especially in densely populated areas.

slowmover 11-18-2018 08:48 PM

Anti-diesel ”reasearch” is pretty well bunk. Politically skewed. Like the faked dangers of second-hand cigarette smoke. False, in that someone’s profit (or power) is what’s really at stake.

The energetic content of diesel makes it indisposable. Non-replaceable. Emissions controls have changed the rest.

The number of vehicles to service urban sprawl is the problem.

Why cities have sprawled is what you aren’t allowed to ask. “Why do we have commuters?” Power and profit are at stake.

Other choices would have precluded what you think of as a dilemma.

RedDevil 11-19-2018 05:01 AM

Oh yeah, it is pretty well bunk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust
Quote:

Health concerns
General concerns
Emissions from diesel vehicles have been reported to be significantly more harmful than those from petrol vehicles.[38][better source needed] Diesel combustion exhaust is a source of atmospheric soot and fine particles, which is a component of the air pollution implicated in human cancer,[39][40] heart and lung damage,[41] and mental functioning.[42] Moreover, diesel exhaust contains contaminants listed as carcinogenic for humans by the IARC (part of the World Health Organization of the United Nations), as present in their List of IARC Group 1 carcinogens.[7] Diesel exhaust pollution is thought[by whom?] to account for around one quarter of the pollution in the air in previous decades,[when?] and a high share of sickness caused by automotive pollution.[43][better source needed]

Occupational health effects
Two handheld instruments with screens and wires on a white background
Two diesel particulate matter monitors
Exposure to diesel exhaust and diesel particulate matter (DPM) is an occupational hazard to truckers, railroad workers and occupants of residential homes in vicinity of a rail yard, and miners using diesel-powered equipment in underground mines. Adverse health effects have also been observed in the general population at ambient atmospheric particle concentrations well below the concentrations in occupational settings.

In March 2012, U.S. government scientists showed that underground miners exposed to high levels of diesel fumes have a threefold increased risk for contracting lung cancer compared with those exposed to low levels. The $11.5 million Diesel Exhaust in Miners Study (DEMS) followed 12,315 miners, controlling for key carcinogens such as cigarette smoke, radon, and asbestos. This allowed scientists to isolate the effects of diesel fumes.[44][45]

For over 10 years, concerns have been raised in the USA regarding children's exposure to DPM as they ride diesel-powered school buses to and from school.[46] In 2013, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) established the Clean School Bus USA initiative in an effort to unite private and public organizations in curbing student exposures.[47]

Concerns regarding particulates

Heavy truck, with visible particulate soot
Diesel particulate matter (DPM), sometimes also called diesel exhaust particles (DEP), is the particulate component of diesel exhaust, which includes diesel soot and aerosols such as ash particulates, metallic abrasion particles, sulfates, and silicates. When released into the atmosphere, DPM can take the form of individual particles or chain aggregates, with most in the invisible sub-micrometre range of 100 nanometers, also known as ultrafine particles (UFP) or PM0.1.

The main particulate fraction of diesel exhaust consists of fine particles. Because of their small size, inhaled particles may easily penetrate deep into the lungs.[1] The polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the exhaust stimulate nerves in the lungs, causing reflex coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.[48] The rough surfaces of these particles makes it easy for them to bind with other toxins in the environment, thus increasing the hazards of particle inhalation.[20][verification needed][1]

A study of particulate matter (PM) emissions from transit buses running on ULSD and a mixture of biodiesel and conventional diesel (B20) was reported by Omidvarborna and coworkers, where they conclude PM emissions appeared lower in cases of mixed diesel/biodiesel use, where they were dependent on the engine model, cold and hot idle modes, and fuel type, and that heavy metals in PM emitted during hot idling were greater than those from cold idling; reasons for PM reduction in biodiesel emissions were suggested to result from the oxygenated structure of biodiesel fuel, as well as arising from changes in technology (including the use of a catalytic converter in this test system).[49] Other studies concluded that while in certain specific cases (i.e. low loads, more saturated feedstocks, ...), NOx emissions can be lower than with diesel fuel, in most cases NOx emissions are higher, and the NOx emissions even go up as more biofuel is mixed in. Pure biodiesel (B100) even ends up having 10-30% more NOx emissions compared to regular diesel fuel.[50]

Specific effects
Exposures have been linked with acute short-term symptoms such as headache, dizziness, light-headedness, nausea, coughing, difficult or labored breathing, tightness of chest, and irritation of the eyes and nose and throat.[51] Long-term exposures can lead to chronic, more serious health problems such as cardiovascular disease, cardiopulmonary disease, and lung cancer.[39][40][52] Elemental carbon attributable to traffic was significantly associated with wheezing at age 1 and persistent wheezing at age 3 in the Cincinnati Childhood Allergy and Air Pollution Study birth cohort study.[53]

The NERC-HPA funded Traffic Pollution and Health in London project at King's College London is currently[when?] seeking to refine understanding of the health effects of traffic pollution.[54] Ambient traffic-related air pollution was associated with decreased cognitive function in older men.[42]

Mortality from diesel soot exposure in 2001 was at least 14,400 out of the German population of 82 million, according to the official report 2352 of the Umweltbundesamt Berlin (Federal Environmental Agency of Germany).[citation needed]

The study of nanoparticles and nanotoxicology is in its infancy, and health effects from nanoparticles produced by all types of diesel engines are still being uncovered. It is clear, that diesel health detriments of fine particle emissions are severe and pervasive. Although one study found no significant evidence that short-term exposure to diesel exhaust results in adverse extrapulmonary effects, effects that are correlated with an increase in cardiovascular disease,[55] a 2011 study in The Lancet concluded that traffic exposure is the single most serious preventable trigger of heart attack in the general public, as the cause of 7.4% of all attacks.[41] It is impossible to tell how much of this effect is due to the stress of being in traffic and how much is due to exposure to exhaust.[citation needed]

Since the study of the detrimental health effects of nanoparticles (nanotoxicology) is still in its infancy, and the nature and extent of negative health impacts from diesel exhaust continues to be discovered. There is little controversy, however, that the public health impact of diesels is higher than that of petrol-fuelled vehicles despite the wide uncertainties.[56]
But hey, wikipedia is bunk. Let's roll some more coal.

Lemmy 11-19-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 584077)
If the diesel is a turbo diesel then it really isn't fair.
You have 2 engines in the diesel versus one in the gas.
That turbocharger is working to recover waste hest in the exhaust to force more air into the engine.
Diesels get better fuel economy with more air.

But then the petrol engine has ignition advance, which the diseasel lacks.

oil pan 4 11-19-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 584119)
Anti-diesel ”reasearch” is pretty well bunk. Politically skewed. Like the faked dangers of second-hand cigarette smoke. False, in that someone’s profit (or power) is what’s really at stake.

The energetic content of diesel makes it indisposable. Non-replaceable. Emissions controls have changed the rest.

Why cities have sprawled is what you aren’t allowed to ask. “Why do we have commuters?” Power and profit are at stake.

Other choices would have precluded what you think of as a dilemma.

I don't think Europe has adopted the war on NOx style emissions like the US has.

oil pan 4 11-19-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 584144)
But then the petrol engine has ignition advance, which the diseasel lacks.

Modern Diesel engines at least in the US can advance the ignition.
But if you have decent fuel there isn't any need to.
Over here advancing diesel injection timing is done for emissions control.

slowmover 11-20-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 584125)
Oh yeah, it is pretty well bunk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust

But hey, wikipedia is bunk. Let's roll some more coal.

What’s in your water is far worse. Even the best municipal supply. Where’s the outcry.

It’s context. Not content.

Pay attention to a larger picture.

RedDevil 11-20-2018 03:31 PM

If you believe diesel exhaust gases are safer than even the best tap water you'll have a hard time finding others who share your views.
I think we won't convince each other anytime soon, so its better to stop trying.

slowmover 11-21-2018 05:19 PM

Shows you don’t understand even that problem. More serious. Bet you think secondhand cigarette smoke a problem, too.

Few studies can stand up to replication tests. Best you examine your thesis A LOT more carefully.

redpoint5 11-21-2018 06:11 PM

The problem with the studies is they haven't sufficiently controlled the variables.

Studying miners in a confined space, breathing diesel fumes 10hrs a day isn't a good predictor of the amount of exposure regular folks inhale in day to day living, and what the consequences are.

There's no possible way to put a number of deaths that diesel particulates are responsible for, not to say it isn't happening.

A heart attack triggered by diesel particulate inhalation which results in death doesn't mean the diesel particulates have killed the person; it's entirely likely it's the straw that broke the camel's back, and the person would have succumbed to poor health in the near future.

Again, not saying we should not concern ourselves with the quest for cleaner air, only saying that the issue is too complex to simply say millions of people are dying as a direct result of pollution. How much longer would these people have lived if they had been exposed to 1/4 as much pollution? We'll probably never know.

oil pan 4 11-21-2018 06:20 PM

Remember Europe doesn't have all the emissions stuff we have in the US.

iikhod 11-21-2018 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 584403)
Remember Europe doesn't have all the emissions stuff we have in the US.

Like what for example?

oil pan 4 11-22-2018 12:29 AM

The sulfur content in the European fuel is a lot higher than than the US.
We use 7ppm sulfur because of the emissions, this started back around 2007.
When did Europe start using their sorry excuse for low sulfur diesel?
We had to start using passive PM soot traps in the mid 90s, most diesels sold in the US had to have very high pressure common rail full electric injector control by 2000 to control NOx and PM, early 2000s egr coolers were needed to reduce NOx, 2007 was the ultra low 7ppm sulfur fuel roll out, then in 2010 active soot trapping using exhaust filters that regen and strict NOx emissions, 2013 or 2014 very strict NOx regulations force use of urea augmented converters on most diesels.

iikhod 11-22-2018 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 584419)
The sulfur content in the European fuel is a lot higher than than the US.
We use 7ppm sulfur because of the emissions, this started back around 2007.
When did Europe start using their sorry excuse for low sulfur diesel?
We had to start using passive PM soot traps in the mid 90s, most diesels sold in the US had to have very high pressure common rail full electric injector control by 2000 to control NOx and PM, early 2000s egr coolers were needed to reduce NOx, 2007 was the ultra low 7ppm sulfur fuel roll out, then in 2010 active soot trapping using exhaust filters that regen and strict NOx emissions, 2013 or 2014 very strict NOx regulations force use of urea augmented converters on most diesels.

Here it is 10ppm and it is legally called non-sulfur diesel :D

Well this is all new information for me about the american emission equipment, thank you for that.

I don't know when they started reducing sulfur in european diesel, one finnish refinery did it in 1991.
Someone with better knowledge can correct me.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-22-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Anti-diesel ”reasearch” is pretty well bunk. Politically skewed. Like the faked dangers of second-hand cigarette smoke.

I believe second-hand cigarette smoke is dangerous, plus it's worse than Diesel fumes. But anyway, nobody would be able to convince me that all this anti-Diesel bias is not politically-inclined. Well, many countries could enhance their energy independence retaining old-school Diesels on the road and putting them to run either on pure vegetable oils or biodiesel which could be even made out of residual fats from animal carcasses. I got to learn about Diesel engines due to the influence of Argentinians, Uruguayans and Paraguayans in the '90s, but nowadays it's not so easy to spot so many Diesel cars with Argentinian or Uruguayan plates in the coastal city where I usually go on the summer due to politics on those countries that rendered the Diesel engine too expensive due to left-leaning politicians who embraced the anti-Diesel bandwagon in order to send more money to Venezuela...

Quote:

Emissions controls and the fuel standards might shift, but I'm also sure the Diesel engine will stay for longer than the sell-outs from the European Parliament are trying to take them out of the road.

Quote:

I'd also consider the size of certain vehicles as a part of the problem. Sometimes I think Japan was right on classifying vehicles for their size in order to charge lower taxes to smaller ones.

RedDevil 11-22-2018 08:45 AM

I don't think the research was anti-diesel. Its results were anti-diesel though.
Does that make the research bad?

If research needs to give the results you want to not be bunk, it isn't research anymore.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-22-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 584427)
I don't think the research was anti-diesel. Its results were anti-diesel though.
Does that make the research bad?

If research needs to give the results you want to not be bunk, it isn't research anymore.

That's a different matter. Some researches might have their validity even though I'm not satisfied with their results. My objection is toward the left-leaning politicians who pretend to care about the environment and people's health just as an excuse to push their lame agenda. For example, many corrupts who use public funds that should've been destined to the public healthcare system in Brazil pretend to care about people dying supposedly for the effects of Diesel fumes, but their criminal behavior is in fact what denies those people a proper medical care. See?

RedDevil 11-22-2018 09:20 AM

I value the results of scientific research, where researchers tie their names and reputations to, more than the words of politicians. Even though the latter generally have a more pleasant message (depending on their orientation).

I have nothing with left wing politicians, but 'left wing' research is not a real thing. Nor is 'right wing' research.

I was disappointed because the particulate research I brought up was immediately declared bunk, "research" even. As if I would post it if I thought is wasn't real.
So it is in effect an attack on me too. Guess what, I can do without that.

oil pan 4 11-22-2018 12:12 PM

I'm sure the research is as fair as you can get with funding bias.

Yes left leaning politicians pretend to care about the environment. But their version of caring turns into something that resembles neglect, mismanagement.
It's even hard to tell if their will towards the environment is just ignorance or intentional malevolence.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-23-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 584434)
I was disappointed because the particulate research I brought up was immediately declared bunk, "research" even. As if I would post it if I thought is wasn't real.
So it is in effect an attack on me too.

There is no need to take it personally. In the end, nearly everybody on this board shares a similar goal to reach a good balance of fuel-efficiency (or simply energy-efficiency if we consider the ones who resort to EVs :D) and an eventual decrease on overall emissions.

RedDevil 11-23-2018 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 584456)
There is no need to take it personally. In the end, nearly everybody on this board shares a similar goal to reach a good balance of fuel-efficiency (or simply energy-efficiency if we consider the ones who resort to EVs :D) and an eventual decrease on overall emissions.

You know, it is all one big misconception. Emissions research tests all vehicles, not just diesel.
Emissions regulations have let off some aspects of diesel in the past. As diesel engines run lean on light loads by concept, they produce less CO and more NOx than gasoline engines.
Yet emission standards are pushing the levels down:
Fact Check: are diesel cars really more polluting than petrol cars?

The problem here is that many diesel cars cannot actually meet the standards, that's why dieselgate is so widespread. Gasoline cars generally do meet the emissions standards (but not the economics...).
Also the standards do not yet distinguish between micro particulates and larger particulates. Direct injection cars (diesel AND gasoline) produce more micro particulates than carbureted or indirect injection cars; in that aspect the old diesels were less dangerous than the modern 'clean' ones.

But it does contain less benzene: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-benzene...-not-in-diesel

This is a nice neutral description of diesel and its use: https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...iesel-fuel.htm

and what it does to us:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4894930/
Quote:

Diesel engine emissions are among the most prevalent anthropogenic pollutants worldwide, and with the growing popularity of diesel-fueled engines in the private transportation sector, they are becoming increasingly widespread in densely populated urban regions. However, a large number of toxicological studies clearly show that diesel engine emissions profoundly affect human health. ... The key aspects of adverse effects induced by diesel exhaust exposure described herein will be important for regulators to support or ban certain technologies or to legitimate incentives for the development of promising new technologies such as catalytic diesel particle filters.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-23-2018 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 584460)
If diesel powered cars were confined to the same emissions regulations as other cars there would not be any diesel cars in Europe.

I wouldn't be so sure about it. BTW nowadays that direct injection became more widespread on spark-ignition engines, NOx and even particulate matter turned into a matter of concern on those too. Just to remind, nowadays Volkswagen is resorting to particulate filters even in some vehicles fitted with the 2.0 TSI/TFSI engine.

RedDevil 11-23-2018 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 584462)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 584460)
If diesel powered cars were confined to the same emissions regulations as other cars there would not be any diesel cars in Europe.

I wouldn't be so sure about it. BTW nowadays that direct injection became more widespread on spark-ignition engines, NOx and even particulate matter turned into a matter of concern on those too. Just to remind, nowadays Volkswagen is resorting to particulate filters even in some vehicles fitted with the 2.0 TSI/TFSI engine.

I wasn't sure, looked it up and altered my post.

matt36415 11-25-2018 06:51 AM

My van does highway km so is ok but many cars here - Australia- have problems with the diesel particulate filters that they have to have.

Can anyone explain why diesel has particulates when burnt but petrol does not?

me and my metro 11-25-2018 12:12 PM

The way I understand it is: it is all about controlling NOx emissions. There are two schools of thought, the first is lots of egr to cool the charge. The problem with lots of egr is lots of soot, so you have to trap it and burn it with the cat and extra fuel. The second is not so much egr which makes more NOx but less soot, then kill the NOx with urea. I know International is having trouble meeting the new standards even with urea. I was told our new Internationals will come with Cummins engines because they can meet smog.

RedDevil 11-25-2018 02:52 PM

Diesel is a heavier fuel, so it contains longer and more complex hydrocarbon molecules which, if partly burnt, form particles; soot, basically.
Gasoline molecules are smaller; once they break apart the remains are too volatile to create soot and will generally burn up too or form single CO molecules.

Plus what me_and_my_metro said.

euromodder 11-26-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Anti-diesel ”reasearch” is pretty well bunk. Politically skewed.

NOx effects are pretty well documented

Local research into diesel soot particles resulted in a bit of a surprise:
If a participant had been stuck in traffic, it already showed ...
They end up in your blood and go everywhere your blood takes them ...

Quote:

The energetic content of diesel makes it indisposable. Non-replaceable.
Diesel is dead-easy to replace
There's more energy in natural gas by weight
In HGV, up to some 70% diesel can be replaced by CNG - even retrofitted

I burn less CNG than I'd burn diesel

oil pan 4 11-26-2018 03:37 PM

My diesel makes huge 100 to 250 micron particles.
With newer diesels they try to hide the particle matter and you end up with a lot of 1 to 3 micron diesel particles. It just so happens that is also the perfect size for bugs to be packaged in a biological weapon system.
Because when inhaled it goes everywhere throughout the body.
100+ micron is like common dirt and dust, the body's defences filter it out.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-26-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me and my metro (Post 584597)
The way I understand it is: it is all about controlling NOx emissions. There are two schools of thought, the first is lots of egr to cool the charge. The problem with lots of egr is lots of soot, so you have to trap it and burn it with the cat and extra fuel. The second is not so much egr which makes more NOx but less soot, then kill the NOx with urea. I know International is having trouble meeting the new standards even with urea. I was told our new Internationals will come with Cummins engines because they can meet smog.

Water + alcohol injection, or eventually CNG fumigation, might make more sense. BTW most of the urea used for DEF production is made out of natural gas, so why not to use CNG directly instead? Either as the primary fuel or integrated with Diesel. A trucking company from Brazil has tested an Euro-3 rated Mercedes-Benz Atego with a dual-fuel setup that could operate with up to 95% CNG, and its emissions were comparable to an Euro-5 rated truck even though it didn't have SCR and DPF.

oil pan 4 11-28-2018 09:07 AM

In Texas they are installing cng infrastructure mostly for big rig trucks but anyone can use it.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-10-2022 01:01 AM

The first dedicated-CNG coach operating commercially in my hometown since May 2021, with a 320hp, 5-cyl 9.3L Scania engine. It's used for a charter service between Porto Alegre and Charqueadas. This year for the first time both Diesel fuel and CNG became more expensive than regular gasoline in Brazil, but some operators may favor CNG and biomethane over Diesel as there is no need for a complex aftertreatment system.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...e%20frente.jpg