EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   'Dirty' or 'bad' gas... ideas? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/dirty-bad-gas-ideas-26980.html)

Christ 09-17-2013 07:27 PM

'Dirty' or 'bad' gas... ideas?

I've got about 600 gallons and more coming of 'dirty' and 'bad' gas... evaporated gas [mostly aromatic oils, etc but low alcohol content] and otherwise contaminated gasoline... We have the filtration setup already to get all the crap out of it, water settles out in the bulk tank and gets drained regularly, and we use the fuel in our farm equipment and small engines. It works, albeit not as well as 'fresh' gas in those applications, but MPG isn't really the idea when it's farm equipment and when it's free/otherwise wasted fuel.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea for another use for it, since it seems like we'll have so much coming that I'm gonna have to get a couple more bulk tanks to keep it all.

For one thing, I wanna see if it'll run in the work truck at all, even if it goes into reduced power mode... I'll also use some to cut the lube oils I use for fuel in the diesel engines and lower the overall viscosity to make it easier to run in those...

Any other ideas?

XYZ 09-17-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 391209)
I've got about 600 gallons and more coming of 'dirty' and 'bad' gas... evaporated gas [mostly aromatic oils, etc but low alcohol content] and otherwise contaminated gasoline... We have the filtration setup already to get all the crap out of it, water settles out in the bulk tank and gets drained regularly, and we use the fuel in our farm equipment and small engines. It works, albeit not as well as 'fresh' gas in those applications, but MPG isn't really the idea when it's farm equipment and when it's free/otherwise wasted fuel.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea for another use for it, since it seems like we'll have so much coming that I'm gonna have to get a couple more bulk tanks to keep it all.

For one thing, I wanna see if it'll run in the work truck at all, even if it goes into reduced power mode... I'll also use some to cut the lube oils I use for fuel in the diesel engines and lower the overall viscosity to make it easier to run in those...

Any other ideas?

Fuel for Coleman lanterns?

If you are really frugal you could light your entire home with multiple lanterns... :D

YukonCornelius 09-17-2013 11:36 PM

I wish I was closer, I'd stop by to fill up my car.

Maybe half and half with fresh gas in your cars?

shovel 09-18-2013 12:55 AM

Yeah I'd just use it to extend my regular gasoline... I'm thinking most of the BTU's are still there.

Frank Lee 09-18-2013 01:22 AM

I'd ease into it, the same way I suggest people who have never tried E85 before to start out- start with maybe a gallon or two in with a full tank of fresh then increase the ratio until you notice any issues.

markweatherill 09-18-2013 04:06 AM

1. Bottle it and label as 'injector cleaner' or 'engine flush'.
2. PROFIT!!!!

(of course, don't really do this!)

JRMichler 09-18-2013 01:02 PM

More likely "Injector Clog".

Christ 09-18-2013 01:03 PM

Frank - I'm planning on that, actually. Most of our vehicles have knock retarders in them at this point, and I"ve run stuff on 'bad' gas already before without noticable issues other than mild loss of power at the top end.

At the very least, my Chevy 2500 could run it, and if i put the F150 on the road, I know that will run it too since it's running now on the gas that was put in it like 8 years ago when it was parked. [302 auto with 108k]

I wanted to use some of it as a cutter for the lube oils to run the backhoe, that D179 engine doesn't like thick fuel like my 7.3's did.

Christ 09-18-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 391357)
More likely "Injector Clog".

You'd like to think that, but the fact is, bad gas is still has the same lubricity, and still cleans up coke and tar from additives. We've been using it for years to clean up other oil based products. Once the dirt and stuff is out of it, there's nothing in the gas that will coke an injector any faster than 'clean' gas straight out of the pump. All that's missing from it is the normally low spirit content anyway.

At this point, I could mix it with some methanol and 'renew' it, but I'm not buying a 55gal drum of meth to do that when I know it works fine as-is.

rmay635703 09-18-2013 01:28 PM

Bad gas likely works fine in a diesel so long as its blended. Army used to mix diesel oil and gasoline and call it mo-gas.

In a gasser I would mix in a little e85 and call it good.