EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   DIY biodiesel (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-biodiesel-11453.html)

swede 12-14-2009 07:43 PM

DIY biodiesel

Hi everyone,
I just recently started a job as a heavy duty diesel mechanics instructor at a college. As one of the exercises for the students we had a fellow come down for a biodiesel demonstration and I must say, I was impressed at the simplicity of the process. If done correctly it can be a cost effective alternative to fossil fuels. The variety of materials that the biodiesel guy had made fuel from was impressive. Some materials lend themselves only to a warm climate, but there are some that work well in a cold climate such as here in manitoba. A few of the more typical materials used were new and used corn and canola oil, which with the correct additive you can safely operate to -30c. Some of the most surprising sources were pressed in an oil seed press, used coffee grounds, yield around 5% oil by wt. and another very interesting prospect was using weed seeds from an edible grain/oilseed cleaning plant. The weed seeds had been removed from the edible grains as part of the cleaning process and were otherwise simply a waste product. This is a very ingenuitive use of a product that has already used all of the energy input of producing an edible product but does not divert food from the market like using new oilseed harvest.

Dave's Civic Duty 01-06-2010 04:33 AM

Hi Swede,

I went to a tech college for a weekend bioD seminar a few months back. Great, I'd do it again as a refresher. I've got a processor under way, a variation of an apple seed using a 55 gallon drum & also working on my wash tank.

Great job in exposing your students to this.

Dave

Bicycle Bob 01-06-2010 04:44 AM

Very interesting. On the wet coast, the equipment operators start up and shut down on regular or converted bio-diesel, and then run straight, filtered and heated, waste vegetable oil all day.

Dave's Civic Duty 01-06-2010 05:02 AM

Yep, that's called a two tank system. But since I have a Kubota 3 cyl. diesel & a Dodge Cummins it would be more practical for me to just make bioD.

Until this VX landed in my lap, I was looking for a diesel daily driver as well.

A friend of mine runs 2 tank systems in an 81 VW Rabbit & an 84 MB. He loves it.

Smells like fries & no one dies!
Dave

Bicycle Bob 01-06-2010 01:13 PM

I told my farming friend about the pressed weed seeds, and he says that they are used for cattle feed here. Too bad people still eat animals- it increases our land use by several times.

Dave's Civic Duty 01-07-2010 12:53 PM

I gave up eating animals over 11 years ago. I hear you on that one. My cholesterol went from borderline to all my number totaling 164 the last time I had it checked at the Cleveland Clinic.

I never really eat that much even as a kid.

Happy New Year,
Dave

rmay635703 01-07-2010 06:07 PM

Interesting thread, I believe the best way of making Biodiesel is using a solid catalyst where you add nothing and take nothing out, just electricity.

Anyone remember what the catalyst was? I believe there is one company using it but only on massive installations.

Making that system DIY would remove the chemical concerns out of making Biodiesel.

Dave's Civic Duty 01-07-2010 07:48 PM

Really, I've never read anything on that. I even get the Biodiesel Magazine & never was enlightened on that process.

Very interesting, do you have any links on that?

Thanks,
Dave

Christ 01-07-2010 10:50 PM

The only way I know is to replace the glycerine (glycerides) with alcohols (ehtyl or methyl, depending on your skill/preference, mostly)

Bicycle Bob 01-07-2010 11:17 PM

I've heard of the lye and alcohol method, which leaves glycerine behind, and a method with enzymes; never a solid catalyst.

Christ 01-08-2010 12:51 AM

Not sure about enzymes?

alohaspirit 01-08-2010 04:41 AM

Foolproof biodiesel process: Journey to Forever

One-step Biodiesel Production from Yellow Grease - UNITED ENVIRONMENT & ENERGY, LLC

Christ 01-08-2010 09:36 AM

Both of those methods use alcohol esterification... I'm asking about the enzyme method that Bicycle Bob suggested.

alohaspirit 01-08-2010 01:34 PM

lipase enzyme

Catalyzing Future Fuels - Biodiesel Magazine

theres also a pdf on it, but it cost money

solarguy 01-08-2010 01:41 PM

solid catalyst

As a long time home brewer, I think the solid catalyst idea and the enzymatic/lipase approach are about like making practical electricity from a hydrogen fusion reactor. We see periodic press releases about how great it is, and how soon it's coming. Just another 2-3 years and it will be on the market. Electricity too cheap to meter. Blah blah blah.

It will be great when it gets here, I'm sure.

The glycerin byproduct apparently makes an excellent feed additive for cows if you remove the extra methanol first.

It also burns well in my wood stove in a small steel box about the size of a shoe box. I mold it into 1 liter blocks and burn it with wood. It reduces my wood requirements about 40%. It does burn hot, being in the alcohol family, so you need a stove with good combustion air control and a good damper in the flue as well. Use at your own risk.

Finest regards,

troy

Christ 01-08-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarguy (Post 152935)
As a long time home brewer, I think the solid catalyst idea and the enzymatic/lipase approach are about like making practical electricity from a hydrogen fusion reactor. We see periodic press releases about how great it is, and how soon it's coming. Just another 2-3 years and it will be on the market. Electricity too cheap to meter. Blah blah blah.

It will be great when it gets here, I'm sure.

The glycerin byproduct apparently makes an excellent feed additive for cows if you remove the extra methanol first.

It also burns well in my wood stove in a small steel box about the size of a shoe box. I mold it into 1 liter blocks and burn it with wood. It reduces my wood requirements about 40%. It does burn hot, being in the alcohol family, so you need a stove with good combustion air control and a good damper in the flue as well. Use at your own risk.

Finest regards,

troy

Makes good soap, too. Also OK fertilizer, I'm told. There are 1,000 potential uses for the waste stream, actually.

rmay635703 01-08-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 152831)
I've heard of the lye and alcohol method, which leaves glycerine behind, and a method with enzymes; never a solid catalyst.

????
Where have you people been the last 9 years???

Texas BioDiesel, Inc. :: Our Technology
A Solid Catalyst Unlike the Rest - Biodiesel Magazine
Solid Catalyst to Convert Algae into Biodiesel - Oilgae.com

I can't located the specific one now but originally it was announced on the original from the fryer to the fuel tank forums about several scientists that had a solid catalyst method where the catalyst was not used up but their funding was pulled by the government, a few years later a company offering the systems large scale popped up. This has been at least 4 years ago and the fryer article was probably 9 years ago.

Anyway there are MANY solid catalyst methods floating around, I just can't find the one I remember. I will keep looking

Christ 01-08-2010 11:53 PM

Please do - interested.

rmay635703 01-09-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 153074)
Please do - interested.

Arg, I really hate the way google searches work now, back when they were not for profit you actually found what you were looking for, now I keep getting this thing

The Truth About Oil :(

I will have to see if I can trace my steps through the old forums :(

Christ 01-09-2010 12:16 AM

Oh Noes... I hate those stupid ads.

I just got offered $50 to setup a new paypal account... *gone*.

alohaspirit 01-09-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 153084)
Arg, I really hate the way google searches work now, back when they were not for profit you actually found what you were looking for, now I keep getting this thing

i couldnt remember it either and google did the same to me

*shrug* oh well... i tried

Dave's Civic Duty 01-09-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohaspirit (Post 152933)
lipase enzyme

Catalyzing Future Fuels - Biodiesel Magazine

theres also a pdf on it, but it cost money

Oh, October, 2008. So this study may not be concluded until the spring of 2011,
till then there still the tried & true method of methanol & lye.

Thanks for attaching that link, it educated me,
Dave

Bicycle Bob 01-09-2010 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=rmay635703;153072]????
Where have you people been the last 9 years???

Mostly on a small island, helping a friend with the lye method, and then in a small town, helping with various projects.

Dave's Civic Duty 02-04-2010 08:45 AM

About a week ago I received the latest Biodiesel Magazine. It had an article on that very same technique. Sugar base!

Dave