Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not very good gas mileage, please help

My 2005 Civic VTEC with an automatic transmission is, for some reason not getting as good of gas mileage as it should. I have done a few things to it in part to improve mileage. It has a power steering delete, AC removed temporarily, new timing belt, minor weight reduction, almost new LRR tires filled to 40 PSI on alloy rims, all LED lighting except interior and reverse lights which will get swapped too, recently I fully rebuilt the engine, high flow header, cat and muffler, D16Y8 intake manifold and fuel injectors, custom air intake system, and a couple other minor things. It only gets around 26-28 MPG. I checked all the sensors and it has a new thermostat. It runs very well, but not very efficiently. The only things that I can think of that might be contributing is a crack in the exhaust header, the EVAP purge valve is stuck closed and it is missing the front wheel well liners, but I will install those soon. Any ideas? If you have any questions or things to check, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

UPDATE: The last 2 times I filled the tank after I installed the wheel well liners and JB Welded the crack in the header I got 31.5 and 33.7 MPG on my last 2 fill ups. The first tank was a decent amount city driving, and the second tank was more highway driving. I might be able to get the mileage even higher if I fix the EVAP purge solenoid, fix the problem with the o2 sensor intermittently going dead and possibly reconnect the EGR, although I do not want to cause more carbon buildup in the intake and cylinders by pulling in dirty exhaust, so I probably won't reconnect the EGR unless I can keep the carbon out of the intake somehow.

Last edited by EcoCivic; 07-20-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
City driving? Highway driving? normal automatic or CVT?

You're about right for mostly city driving in a normal automatic trans.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forum. It's possible that rebuilding your engine is part of your problem mileage wise. If you tightened everything up in the rebuild, it may take some time to break in again, just like in a new car. Also, the cracked header may be effecting the O2 sensor readings. May not be enough to through a code but enough to reduce mileage. Just brainstorming with you. Did your mileage drop after all that you've done or is the quest for better mileage something recent?
Automatics are harder in general to hypermile due to the limited driving techniques at your disposal. I found it worse when I did a lot of in town driving. Wondering if your commute might be fighting against you.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Old 07-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
City driving? Highway driving? normal automatic or CVT?

You're about right for mostly city driving in a normal automatic trans.
It is a normal 4 speed automatic, and I do mostly highway driving.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Welcome to the forum. It's possible that rebuilding your engine is part of your problem mileage wise. If you tightened everything up in the rebuild, it may take some time to break in again, just like in a new car. Also, the cracked header may be effecting the O2 sensor readings. May not be enough to through a code but enough to reduce mileage. Just brainstorming with you. Did your mileage drop after all that you've done or is the quest for better mileage something recent?
Automatics are harder in general to hypermile due to the limited driving techniques at your disposal. I found it worse when I did a lot of in town driving. Wondering if your commute might be fighting against you.
Should I unplug the oxygen sensor and see if the mileage improves? If I understand correctly, the oxygen sensor just trims the air fuel ratio if there is a problem, and it theoretically effects nothing unless it detects that the engine is running rich or lean. This car used to get around 33-36 MPG, but around the time the old engine started failing, the mileage dropped, probably because of increased friction and reduced compression, but when I installed the rebuilt engine, the mileage did not improve again. I also noticed that when I let off the throttle on a flat road, the car starts to slow down fairly quickly, but that might just be me.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
Should I unplug the oxygen sensor and see if the mileage improves?
No, that will not help you.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, the oxygen sensor just trims the air fuel ratio if there is a problem, and it theoretically effects nothing unless it detects that the engine is running rich or lean.
The upstream O2 sensor provides data that helps the map in the ECU regulate fuel/air mix. That would be way important for your current problem. And if there is oxygen infiltration via a crack, it will throw the data off.

Quote:
This car used to get around 33-36 MPG, but around the time the old engine started failing, the mileage dropped, probably because of increased friction and reduced compression, but when I installed the rebuilt engine, the mileage did not improve again. I also noticed that when I let off the throttle on a flat road, the car starts to slow down fairly quickly, but that might just be me.
You have a D16Y8 manifold on a D17 engine. Did you install that before or after you started noticing a fuel economy drop?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
No, that will not help you.

You have a D16Y8 manifold on a D17 engine. Did you install that before or after you started noticing a fuel economy drop?
I installed it after the fuel economy drop, and it did not seem to have any measurable effect on the already not very good gas mileage, but it did improve throttle response a lot, and best of all it is not plastic, so it won't crack.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
I also noticed that when I let off the throttle on a flat road, the car starts to slow down fairly quickly, but that might just be me.
Check for dragging brakes. When you finish a drive, put a finger on each brake disc or drum. If one is hot, that brake is dragging. If they are all hot, they are being used too much.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Maybe a bearing ?

Handbrake ?

If not something like that, an o2 sensor that is bad would drag down fuel economy. So replacing that could help.
future - probably a Prius
Old 07-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Details about your driving patterns? How fast do you drive? Any traffic? Head winds? Do you have any fuel economy instrumentation?

Food for thought, I get about 50mpg at 80mph, and 100mpg at 55mph.

Reply  Post New Thread