EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   DIY chassis for home built elecrtric car. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-chassis-home-built-elecrtric-car-13825.html)

Imatech 07-10-2010 03:08 PM

DIY chassis for home built elecrtric car.

Any body thought of building your own car completely? Have you heard of the Lowcost 7, look it up on the web, it has the plans listed for free. With a few changes for batterys and controller your in business. what do you think?

Patrick 07-10-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imatech (Post 183199)
Any body thought of building your own car completely? Have you heard of the Lowcost 7, look it up on the web, it has the plans listed for free. With a few changes for batterys and controller your in business. what do you think?

I think it would be much easier to convert an existing chassis. Just MHO.

Lokalazeros 07-10-2010 04:32 PM

Building a complex car chassis would be a rewarding experience if you are an experimented welder. However, there will be a lot of math involved (if you are going to do it from scratch, make it exactly to your need), and this is going to be very time consuming. Many peoples are doing it, from Off-roaders to racers, and you probably can you too.

One thing I want to add is, if you are going to put that frame on the road or care for the life of whoever is going to end up driving it, please, please have your weld inspected by an independent. No one want to see a frame failure at 50mph, or while riding over a bump in the road.

I just wanted to add that, welding in your garage at home, and welding an UT (X rays) worthy weld are world apart.

Signed,
A welder that saw too many dangerous thing ''welded'' together.

wildhorsesracing 07-10-2010 10:46 PM

I have built a few chassis and the Locost 7 is a good way to go. It'll be a lot of work but very rewarding.

Bicycle Bob 07-11-2010 02:30 AM

I have a friend who got started on a LoCost, and I think they are a pretty reasonable starting place, being potentially far more efficient than a sedan, and easy to build/modify as these things go. Our brother from Berkeley with a diesel in his found the front engine inconvenient for aerodynamics, but at least it is good for stability.

sid 07-11-2010 10:47 PM

It is often a lot harder to get insurance on a car built from scratch. You may want to check into this first.

Imatech 07-12-2010 05:11 PM

I don't know for sure, but building a chassis from a proven plan would be better that build something for youself with nothing to go on. lokalazeros is correct, you should only tack the chassis to hold it in place that take it to a real welder to finish.

wildhorsesracing 07-13-2010 08:53 PM

Welding can be difficult at times but there are lots of local shops that wouldn't mind showing you how to get started.

There is also a great forum for anyone considering building a Locost -
LocostUSA (dot) com