Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ticking Sound After Valve Gasket Replacement

Hello Everyone:

Recently I'd replaced the valve cover gasket on my 94 Civic VX and spark plug seals, due to the fact that cylinder 1 was partially filled with oil. Now, it would appear that I am getting a moderately loud ticking sound from underneath the valve cover. I'm not getting any check engine lights and the car appears to turn over without struggle.

The rear end however is raised up on jack stands due to the fact that I'm now changing the rear brakes....I don't think that would contribute to anything; but I'd just thought I would put that out there.

Also, I'd like to mention that the new gasket applied with black RTV sat for over 24hrs. with everything tightened down in sequence on the valve cover. However; I should probably mention that I did not use a torque wrench and in writing this, I'm starting to think the bolts might be loose, or maybe it's something sticking within the cylinder head.

Any insight would be helpful...Thank you all.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Possibly loose spark plugs? Low oil level causing loose lifters?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I don't think a simple gasket replacement would cause this issue. But it's possible something was dropped into the head. The torque of the VC bolts isn't critical if you are not getting leaks, it's probably not an issue (i've never used a torque wrench on them). Could it be that you just now noticed the ticking while working in that area?

I would level out the car, check the oil level, and try it again. If it doesn't go away grab your feeler gauges, a service manual, and inspect the valve adjustments.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
I don't think a simple gasket replacement would cause this issue. But it's possible something was dropped into the head. The torque of the VC bolts isn't critical if you are not getting leaks, it's probably not an issue (i've never used a torque wrench on them). Could it be that you just now noticed the ticking while working in that area?

I would level out the car, check the oil level, and try it again. If it doesn't go away grab your feeler gauges, a service manual, and inspect the valve adjustments.
No I was meticulous with regards to preventing anything from dropping into the head; but now that you mention it, I probably could use a good oil change and at most, a valve adjustment. Like you've suggested, I will level out the car and run some new oil first. If that doesn't work, I will then do the valve adjustment.

Thank You.

Reply  Post New Thread