Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
How to: Civic antenna delete (reversible)

I deleted the antenna but found a way to avoid removing moldings and unplugging anything. This way to mod is fully and easily reversible. And I might want to reverse it because I have lost almost all of the AM band and the low-end parts of the FM band (such as San Diego and Los Angeles NPR and Pacifica). FM music stations mostly come in okay.

Here is how I happily wrecked my radio (see pics below):

1) retract the antenna and unscrew the antenna housing above the driver's side door.
2) gently pull the assembly (cover and attached antenna) out about an inch or so, in order to turn it over.
3) Slide the housing up the antenna. It will fight you because there is a metal piece slipped into the housing to secure the antenna more snugly. Take your time and gradually work it out (firmly).
4) After removing the housing from the antenna, slip the retracted antenna into the a-pillar.
5) a used a small screwdriver to hold the antenna in place using the metal eye-hole referred to above, and then with a pair of needle-nose pliers slowly extended the antenna into the a pillar and along the roof adjacent to the driver's door.
6) The I temporarily sealed up the hole with electrical tape... I'm not committed enough yet to want to do something more permanently water tight.

This all took about 5-10 mins.

james

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 1.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	8564   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 2.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	8565   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 3.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	8566   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 4.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	8567   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 5.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	8568  

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
My antenna can slide down into the A-pillar. That leaves the plastic molding and the tiny ball-cap sticking out but nothing more. It's a quick pull to restore it. I can even raise or lower it while driving. It's not as aero as your tape mod, but I can use the radio if I want to.

my 2c

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following User Says Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
Christ (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
My antenna can slide down into the A-pillar. That leaves the plastic molding and the tiny ball-cap sticking out but nothing more. It's a quick pull to restore it. I can even raise or lower it while driving. It's not as aero as your tape mod, but I can use the radio if I want to.

my 2c
EDIT: my 1998 Civic has the same sliding antenna design. I'm trying to shave the surface plastic housing.

Access to the radio is a plus, I agree. I like radio. I like the CBS network on the AM band. I like NPR and Pacifica. Losing them is significant. I am wondering about some sort of alternative to the OEM plastic housing, something flat, maybe of coroplast, and sealed against water somehow. I would like to be able to slide the antenna if necessary. Alternately, a new antenna is a possibility. Something that would be hidden, like in or on the glass, but effective still. Didn't MetroMPG get better results deleting his antenna by sliding it into the a-pillar?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Gotcha!

Was it for the 1999 revision or the 2001 new model they moved to an in-glass antenna? That'd be even nicer - both radio and aero at the same time.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 06-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Didn't know of the revision at all. Wish I had it.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

did away with my antenna also (love my IPOD) no speakers, no radio. covering the hole was quick temporary. I fully intend to redo it. but I wanted to share using vinly graphic material. it bonds excellently yet is still easily removed in case you want or need to redo it You can get this stuff in 9x11 sheets at craft stores like Michaels available in several basic colors for like 3 bucks. the blue left over from older project. this stuff also makes a good waterproof seal. also might want to check with your local graphics place for scraps or a better color selection. you might notice I put a thin adhesive aluminum label under the graphic material for strenght and rigitity over the sort of large hole. also did this type covering on my crx rear wiper delete(similar large type hole)
The Following User Says Thank You to backyard engineer For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (06-14-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think the in-glass antenna would be a great option. I just bought an 02 Hyundai Santa Fe, and it has an antenna in one of the rear side glasses. It works *almost* as well as a traditional antenna. I live 60 air miles from Chicago, and work in Gary, so I like to listen to Chicago stations so i don't have to change the station halfway to work. It doesn't pick those stations up as often as my old Volvo did, but its pretty good.

I have a feeling that it might be possible to make your own glass antenna. There's a product to repair a rear window defroster matrix, so why couldn't you create your own? The only issue would be attaching the wire, but the factories that do it must have a way to do it. Also, apparently these in-glass antennas use a signal booster, whereas normal ones don't.

You could also use the rear defroster elements as an antenna, just clip the ground wire off and use the other wire to connect it to your radio. But now you wont have a defroster, which sucks...

Amazon has a pre-made solution for $30 that just sticks on the window, but i cant post the link cause im new..
Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlee View Post
You could also use the rear defroster elements as an antenna, just clip the ground wire off and use the other wire to connect it to your radio. But now you wont have a defroster, which sucks...
That is a way cool idea. I live in Southern California--my car may never see another snowflake and almost never frost. Since I'm hoping to use the old antenna housing on the roof as a conduit for wires from a 120w roof-mounted solar panel, using the defroster for the antenna might be a way to avoid killing off what is left of my radio through electrical interference from the solar panel. I'll think it over... thanks. I looked for the amazon link you mentioned, thinking I could post it, but no luck...

Old 06-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
That is a way cool idea. I live in Southern California--my car may never see another snowflake and almost never frost. Since I'm hoping to use the old antenna housing on the roof as a conduit for wires from a 120w roof-mounted solar panel, using the defroster for the antenna might be a way to avoid killing off what is left of my radio through electrical interference from the solar panel. I'll think it over... thanks. I looked for the amazon link you mentioned, thinking I could post it, but no luck...
You reallllly dont need a defroster? That must be nice.

Just make sure to cut the ground wire so it wont short the stereo out! Let us know how it goes...

As for the amazon product, does this help?

https://amzn.to/2STuiVE
Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlee View Post
You reallllly dont need a defroster? That must be nice.

Just make sure to cut the ground wire so it wont short the stereo out! Let us know how it goes...

As for the amazon product, does this help? /4353-AM-FM-Glass-Antenna/dp/B0000AYBFR (hehe....)
The weather is fine here, yah. I'll tryy this eventually and certainly report back. I'll be way pleased if it works, and works well.

Hey, backyardengineer, this vinyl graphic material stuff looks good and useful. I can get a sizable sheet for $6-12 in black (my car color). I wonder do you think it would hold a kamm back effectively for a long period? How good a bond does it make? Like painter's tape or like clear 3M packing tape or like duct-tape (which is ugly messy).

Reply  Post New Thread