EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Do all of you physically carry insurance cards? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/do-all-you-physically-carry-insurance-cards-35643.html)

Xist 09-18-2017 03:13 AM

Do all of you physically carry insurance cards?

I bought my Accord as a backup car, only planning on running errands once a week, but my Civic has developed significant problems since then. I have never liked printing insurance cards, it is an entire sheet of paper for one small piece that I will probably need to shred without using.

I have an app for that!

Tonight the highway patrol pulled me over for having a cracked windshield and the officer acted fine with the digital version, but as I closed all of my apps and unfortunately did not think to turn on airplane mode, I just did not feel handing law enforcement my unlocked phone was the best idea.

My roommate says that if the police went through my phone it would be illegal search and seizure and he absolutely would sue them over it.

I will be printing off insurance cards tomorrow.

As for my windshield, the officer said:

"A rock could hit it."

Now I have five days to replace it. Technically, it was illegal to leave Flagstaff without having my windshield replaced. Apparently there is a twenty-four-hour windshield swapper in Flagstaff!

Also, since I am already replacing my windshield... I feel like seeing what if something hits my windshield. What do you say that I measure ten feet from the glass and toss my sledgehammer at it?

Have a great day! :)

Natalya 09-18-2017 03:15 AM

There's no good reason not to carry insurance cards on a piece of printer paper.

Stubby79 09-18-2017 03:45 AM

We don't have them here, even though the concept makes sense. Then again, we insure the car, not the driver here. It's stupid and expensive.

JockoT 09-18-2017 07:11 AM

In the UK the car is insured, but only for a named driver or several named drivers. If someone else drives my car that as fine, as long as my car is insured, and they have insurance for their car!
We are advised not to carry our insurance documents in the car, to avoid identity theft.
All UK vehicles are on an insurance database, which the police access, so they know when they stop a car whether it is insured and who is entitled to drive it. Their ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) system, fitted to all traffic cars and rapid response vehicles, checks every car they pass and sounds an alarm if there is no insurance or if other markers in place (keeper known criminal, outstanding reports etc). They will then decide whether to stop the vehicle.
There obviously are times when a car flags up as uninsured, when in fact it is, and then further investigation is required, such as phoning the driver's insurance company, contacting their employer (if a company vehicle) and the like.
The car is not permitted to proceed until proof of insurance is verified. If that is not forthcoming the car is impounded and only released when a valid certificate of insurance is provided. There are quite onerous charges for this "service". If no insurance is produced then the car goes to the crusher.

hamsterpower 09-18-2017 07:25 AM

MA does not have insurance cards, insurance is mandatory and we can not cancel one policy without proof of being insured elsewhere. Our insurer is also printed on the registration card.

You have a good point about not handing over an unlocked phone to a LEO. That is a risky option. Some places now carry scrubbers in the squad cars. Those devices scan an unlocked phone for anything of interest. Police will tell you you must unlock your phone but that has been decided by the supreme courts (US) to be false. Your phone should be recording the interaction with police just in case.

Xist 09-18-2017 09:25 AM

JockoT, at first that sounded like a good idea, but proof of insurance here is considered similarly to the repair order that I received. I absolutely believe everyone needs to have car insurance, but it seems like the police should be able to tell if I have coverage when they run my plates. If I have my entire life interrupted because of a system error and many frustrations later they say "Disregard, you are good to go," I would have difficulty handling that.

HamsterPower, not being able to cancel without having proof of insurance elsewhere sounds good to me. Would you then need to print a new registration? I have had terrible, horrible, no good, very bad experience with the police and have difficulty trusting them. I installed a dash cam app on my old phone until it was stolen. In my situations, if admissible in court, the dash cam would have shown I did not do anything the police claimed.

I understand there are places where it is illegal to record law enforcement and I cannot imagine any justification for that.

JRMichler 09-18-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 550193)
What do you say that I measure ten feet from the glass and toss my sledgehammer at it?

Never, never waste an opportunity to test glass with a sledgehammer. Or a rock. Or sell tickets to let somebody else do it.

Be advised that thrown objects will bounce off and dent/scratch the hood.

JockoT 09-18-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 550217)
JockoT, at first that sounded like a good idea, but proof of insurance here is considered similarly to the repair order that I received. I absolutely believe everyone needs to have car insurance, but it seems like the police should be able to tell if I have coverage when they run my plates. If I have my entire life interrupted because of a system error and many frustrations later they say "Disregard, you are good to go," I would have difficulty handling that.

Incidences of vehicles not being on the system and being insured are very rare. Usually it just requires a phone call to clear up. And the cops here are usually very polite, very helpful, and unarmed!

vskid3 09-18-2017 11:59 AM

I believe some states require a physical copy, pulling it up on your phone isn't good enough. I like knowing that there's a piece of paper in my glove box that isn't going to run out of battery or be forgotten at home when I need it.

Xist 09-18-2017 12:29 PM

JRMichler, thank you very much for pointing out that! I had planned on recording a short video of it. I recently bought a tripod for my phone, so that works perfectly. Thank you very much for the reminder! I will be sure to plan for that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 550223)
Incidences of vehicles not being on the system and being insured are very rare. Usually it just requires a phone call to clear up. And the cops here are usually very polite, very helpful, and unarmed!

Are the criminals unarmed out of common courtesy? The officer that stopped me last night was polite and helpful enough, but I felt he must have been bored. I was stopped Christmas Eve for having a headlight out and I would definitely describe him as friendly and helpful. When I started looking for my proof of insurance he asked me who I had and said "I believe you."

What?!

He really should have been able to confirm that, though. Still, I had not realized my headlight was out, so I was happy about the experience.

When I was in Germany we were told to not mess with the Polizei, they were allowed to use physical force when they felt it was necessary. Last night the officer put his hand on his gun for a moment. I do not think there was a specific reason for it, no more than me putting my hands in my pockets, but it was... exciting.

VSKid.
VSkid? :)

Technology definitely has its limitations. The last time I flew I was held up waiting for everyone trying to use their smartphones. When it worked it was faster, but it often did not work.