Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Underground Man

Lil Blue - '91 Geo Metro
90 day: 52.54 mpg (US)
How do you charge your batteries?

How do you know the electricity you're using isn't generated by burning coal (a fossil fuel) or uranium (another non-renewable resource)?

Do you have a windmill in your back yard and can only drive after a windy day?

Do you ask your electricity provider to only route to your house electricity generated by ruining rivers (dams) or killing birds (windmills)?

Do you pretend like you're drawing from the 5% of energy from hydro plants on the grid, and everyone else is using the dirty stuff?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

I look here.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by actwithclarity View Post
How do you know the electricity you're using isn't generated by burning coal (a fossil fuel) or uranium (another non-renewable resource)?

Do you have a windmill in your back yard and can only drive after a windy day?

Do you ask your electricity provider to only route to your house electricity generated by ruining rivers (dams) or killing birds (windmills)?

Do you pretend like you're drawing from the 5% of energy from hydro plants on the grid, and everyone else is using the dirty stuff?
Nope. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

And I don't care about what the Environmental Propaganda Agency says, either.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Mine is actually CERTIFIED Green!

I used to have a link to a real-time display of a wind plant, where our power provider owned a part share (wind tower #3). I could actually see a chart in real-time of how much power tower #3 was making. It was pretty cool.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I buy wind power and sure it kills birds, but a wind turbine kills on average a bird per year, you know what else kills a bird per year? each window in your house, the other thing that kills birds is trees, they tend to run smack dab in to the trunks of them, so if you really really cared about birds you wouldn't have windows in your house and you would cut down all the trees, pollution from coal also kills birds along with pollution from oil, refining oil also takes electricity and where is that electricity coming from? the amount of electricity it takes it refine a gallon of gasoline can power an electric car for 20 to 30 miles (depends on the electric car) the pollution from coal power plants is also less per mile driven in an electric car then the pollution from a gasoline car and that is before you take in to account the pollution it takes to refine that gasoline.
So worst case my electric car is running of coal and is still doing less damage then my 50mpg non hybrid gasoline car, reality it's running off wind power, if I visit my parents then it's running off their wind and solar power.
I've also checked in to the batteries that I use along with a number of other brands of batteries out there and at least my lead acid batteries are pretty safe and I would feel just fine with Lithium batteries as well.

Last edited by Ryland; 06-15-2011 at 11:43 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (06-21-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Underground Man

Lil Blue - '91 Geo Metro
90 day: 52.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Mine is actually CERTIFIED Green!
I knew there must be a nut to buy everything, otherwise these products wouldn't survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I buy wind power and sure it kills birds, but a wind turbine kills on average a bird per year...
Ok ok you're right. They kill a handful of birds, a handful of bats, but their effects on those are relatively small compared with all our other activities. I wonder what else they kill that we don't notice or isn't sensational enough to get in the news.

Other effects: pollution created to build windmills, land pollution (% of surface area taken), noise pollution. With enough windmills local and perhaps global climate patterns would be altered.

All the effects of windmills aren't immediately noticeable or deemed significant enough by us to us at this point. But calling them "eco-friendly" is a fallacy. Calling them "green" is a marketing strategy that is not surprisingly growing popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I've also checked in to the batteries that I use along with a number of other brands of batteries out there and at least my lead acid batteries are pretty safe
That's a new one.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
What's your point? Thread #1,248 on EV vs fossil fuel?

BTW, I know exactly where my power comes from; the utility explains it all in their monthly newsletter.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I don't notice any better "efficiency" or lower "cost" between normal electrons and green electrons...both seem to spin the Watt-Hour meter at exactly the same rate.
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
Christ (06-19-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
How do you know the electricity you're using isn't generated by burning coal
I pay extra to get all my electricity from burning sulphur.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
The Following User Says Thank You to jakobnev For This Useful Post:
Air-Hybrid (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The largest negative impact that wind power has is that people don't think it's pretty, sure some do but the people who don't like it the most don't want to look at it, the negative impact that it causes like killing a bird per year on average is a weak point to argue because there are so many other things that we do that have a lager impact, same with the impact of building wind turbines! sure they have steel and copper and concrete, but so does every other form of electrical generation and to a point so does your house, but well built wind turbines should last 100 years and they are the cheapest form of new power plants that we can build, the trouble is finding good land to put them on that people don't have hissy fits about how many birds they are going to kill and how they are going to lower their property vaules, I've lived with wind turbines all my life and the first thing people say when they first see one is "I thought it would be louder" why would you think it would be louder???
So we should not be wasteful with our electricity just because we can get it from the wind but if you don't like wind turbines then stop using electricity!
And yes, the bit I said about batteries is a bit off topic but having talked to the battery companies and to the companies that recycle them I feel pretty good about using them, again I'm not saying we should be wasteful and use more then we need because that is just stupid, but I feel better about having lead acid batteries then using gasoline in my 50mpg car.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Christ (06-19-2011), Frank Lee (06-17-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread