EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Do you pay more for insurance than for gas ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/do-you-pay-more-insurance-than-gas-14692.html)

Laurentiu 09-28-2010 06:40 AM

Do you pay more for insurance than for gas ?

I was just pondering this the other day. If I look at how much I spend lately on gasoline and how much I've paid this year on insurance and car tax/road tax, I came to realize the figures will be very close this year and seeing that I'm using less gas and I now live closer to the job, I will probably pay more for insurance alone than gas...:mad:

Ryland 09-28-2010 08:01 AM

I tend to spend about the same amount on gas as I do on insurance plus registration fees, of course my insurance covers two vehicles, my civic and my electric car, my insurance is also lower because I bought a house and have good credit, buying a house put me closer to where I spend my time so I drive less leading to a win win situation.
Gas is just a fraction of the cost of driving, average American spends 45-72 cents per mile according to a recent statistic.

azaviator 09-28-2010 11:09 AM

My two scenarios:

1) My Insight is use primarily for my work commute, which is ~1000 miles per month. I get ~1000 miles per 10 gallon tank, so I fill up about once a month. That fillup usually costs ~$30. My monthly insurance premium for this vehicle is ~$60, meaning I pay DOUBLE for the insurance.

2) My wife's Blazer is used to get the kids to school and back 5 days a week, plus weekend trips. We fill it up (assuming no weekend trips) 4 times per month at ~$45 each, for a total monthly of ~$180. This usually nets ~1000 miles as well. We only have Liability Coverage on it that costs ~$25 per month. This leaves us paying 7 times as much for gas as we are paying for the insurance.

This is the first year that the kids are in school. Before this, the Blazer was driven ~150 miles per month so gas was about even with insurance costs (oh, how I long for school to let out...:rolleyes:).

bestclimb 09-28-2010 12:12 PM

no bus?

gone-ot 09-28-2010 12:40 PM

...ah-h-h-h, but with each passing year, the insurance cost goes down (slightly) while the petrol cost goes UP (substantually).

UFO 09-28-2010 12:45 PM

My insurance costs are ridiculous. Costs way more than driving two vehicles 2500 miles a month at an average of 32mpg. But biodiesel has a way of being incredibly cheap.

cfg83 09-28-2010 02:24 PM

Hello -

This is an off-the-cuff calc. At about 19K miles per year, gas costs me over $1500 per year. I am pretty sure my old car is under $1K per year in insurance, and my license fees are under $150.

CarloSW2

euromodder 09-28-2010 02:42 PM

My V50 has cost me 7400 euro for diesel, and 5100 euro for insurance over the past 5 years.

Insurance was fully comprehensive for 3 years, then reduced to third party liability.
(Insurance costs include breakdown and legal cover, and cover for all sorts of traffic related accidents regardless of vehicle.)

Frank Lee 09-28-2010 03:47 PM

Using fuel consumption figures from the recent past, I spend $1/day on insurance and $3/day on gas. And I don't put on very many miles.

Bicycle Bob 09-28-2010 07:03 PM

I usually save up my trips for a month or so, and then buy insurance for a day. The insurance costs a bit less than the gas. The last time I bought a month of insurance, even the low daily rate still came to more than the gas, but I wrecked a tire, too.