EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Do you want to see a 'robot' lamp? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/do-you-want-see-robot-lamp-33415.html)

botsapper 01-26-2016 04:42 PM

Do you want to see a 'robot' lamp?

The matrix integration of semi-autonomous and fully-autonomous vehicles on the road with other manned vehicles might include a driver's intention or full-time indicator when on autonomous mode. Almost all of Google's self-driving cars accidents where the other drivers' fault. Many drivers still unsure of too 'cautious and careful' robot cars. The risk-averse algorithmic auto modes does not easily blend with more taking risks, illegal higher speeds, abrupt cutting corners and roadway shortcuts of our human nature. A new color, maybe purple on top, ala available taxi cab indicator could at least warn everybody that they are sharing the road with a nanny car.
Autonomous Cars Need A Special Indicator Lamp

Mr. Pancake 01-27-2016 11:25 AM

I don't see that the indicator would do any good. There are already rules in place to allow for the safe operation of motor vehicles and yet they are blatantly ignored all the time. The same people ignoring these rules aren't going to act any differently/drive in a safer manner because a car has a light on.

As an example, when I get someone following dangerously close to me I make it perfectly clear that I am unhappy with how the person is driving. 9 times out of 10 the person tailgating does nothing to correct the issue.

doviatt 01-27-2016 01:05 PM

To further this discussion it should be considered that some people might actually seek out and cause damage (crashes) of the identifiable robot driven cars in order to try to stop their rise of power. I work with some people unwilling to consider or discuss the future of the evil robots that will take away their driving fun (while not actually paying attention to their own driving safety).

I see the future of autonomous vehicles as safer and quicker (maybe not faster). No more traffic jams as robots don't care to rubberneck. Added with programmed conflict avoidance there will be nothing to rubberneck about.
I do realize these systems will not be perfect but initially could be way better than the many unaware texting people I see drive everyday.

jamesqf 01-27-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pancake (Post 505826)
There are already rules in place to allow for the safe operation of motor vehicles and yet they are blatantly ignored all the time.

We could argue about whether those rules are in place for safety, or to enhance government revenue-collecting. The problem, though, would seem to be that the robot cars always follow the rules, even when most humans don't. As for instance driving the exact speed limit in the fast lane, when most* of the humans either do 10+ over, or keep to the slow lane.

*Alas, there are always a few idiots who think they own the road.

doviatt 01-27-2016 01:26 PM

I believe robots would not be allowed to drive in the fast lane unless the need to pass. The fast lane is defined as a passing lane and not a travel lane. I believe they would be required to follow the rules.

doviatt 01-27-2016 03:57 PM

BTW the topic name is misleading. I took it literal. It should say something about external visual indicators for autonomous vehicles. ;)

Xist 01-27-2016 04:00 PM

Does a "Baby on board" sign ever change the behavior of other drivers--or of the alleged parent?

When another person makes it perfectly clear by following dangerously close to me, or some other method, that they are unhappy with how I am driving, 10 times out of 10 I do nothing to placate them.

Sure, the fast lane is for passing only, but what if someone intends to pass everyone?

Why do people tailgate me, flash their lights, etc., when I am driving in the slow lane, instead of simply passing?

My sister works for Google. People regularly try to cause accidents. The robots are not the dangerous ones.

Doviatt, right, I was expecting something like this:
http://www.modcats.com/lamps/robot_lamp_2_01.jpg

Ideally, with actual motors and stuff.

Hersbird 01-27-2016 04:32 PM

Yes, a light on the car that isn't ever going to move at 4 way stop with pedestrians around like near the school. That way everyone else can still somehow make it through the intersection without crashing or killing anybody. I think robots are great but they need to be programmed to get things done as well. Take tailgating, they should actually tailgate to improve aerodynamics knowing their reaction time and braking ability doesn't require a standard 2 sec following distance.

P-hack 01-27-2016 04:38 PM

how will you "mod" this? how will you beat the epa ratings?

you won't.

it has absolutely nothing to do with this forum.

it belongs in the political garbage bin. just like the concern trolling about safety, it is just people wanting to wank off while driving.

this isn't eco-wet-nurse. I don't want to be googles gunea pig so they can rake it in or wear an arm band for not buying the latest robot toy.

Democrats Hitting the Brakes on Driverless Car Innovation - College Republican National Committee
"Safety is our highest priority and primary motivator as we do this,” Google spokesman Johnny Luu said "

HAHAHAHAHA THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A BIGGER LIE! if they didn't see money/control/power in it, they wouldn't touch it. That is their only priority.

This is pure political crap.

redpoint5 01-27-2016 06:08 PM

Quite the opposite; autonomous cars should have no signage while manually driven cars should alert others that an unpredictable, erratic, and emotionally controlled operator is piloting the vehicle. Then again, our autonomous vehicles will spot these dangers well in advance of any human.

... I'm glad P-hack rises above the political discussion, although I wish his position on the subject was less ambiguous. :P