EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   The Doctor Who Gave Up Drugs (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/doctor-who-gave-up-drugs-38106.html)

All Darc 01-16-2020 08:24 PM

The Doctor Who Gave Up Drugs

I started to watch now. Let's see if it's reasonable and logic :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ggnhpGvvA

redpoint5 01-16-2020 10:06 PM

Horrible premise. If you get a staph infection, you need to treat it with antibiotics unless you don't mind losing limbs. I'll try to watch it though.

That said, all of these documentaries that are "all or nothing" are ridiculous. Eat large size McDonalds for every meal and don't exercise, and there's no question a person is going to gain weight. That was an "experiment" that didn't need to be performed.

What about this for a premise; prescribe drugs as needed, in reasonable dosage?

All Darc 01-16-2020 10:26 PM

Please don't get it wrong by the title. He did not quite all drugs in medical profession. He just tried to reduce as much as possible with safety.

The title suggest a crazy radical doctor, but it's not like that at all.

All Darc 01-16-2020 10:38 PM

Don't miss part-2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjn4f8YHhfU

Hilarious how many doctors are so sh...t today that they get bride (sold themselves) by sandwiches, and don't even notice.
It's like Homer Simpson was a doctor :

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...h-prefix=pt-br

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoRKLSEW0AAAPJv.jpg

oil pan 4 01-16-2020 11:41 PM

The problem is people don't listen to their dr.
People not doctors made the demand for a pill that does x, y or z.
If a Dr says you need to exercise occasionally and you don't they have a pill for heart failure.
Dr says you need to quit smoking and you don't they have a pill for copd.
And so on.

As long as people are looking for a Dr that isn't going to just dole out pills he will do well.

Xist 01-17-2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

[P]harmaceutical companies spend billions annually to influence physicians and other drug prescribers to write more prescriptions for their particular products.
https://health.usnews.com/health-car...they-prescribe

redpoint5 01-17-2020 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 615290)
The problem is people don't listen to their dr.
People not doctors made the demand for a pill that does x, y or z.
If a Dr says you need to exercise occasionally and you don't they have a pill for heart failure.
Dr says you need to quit smoking and you don't they have a pill for copd.
And so on.

As long as people are looking for a Dr that isn't going to just dole out pills he will do well.

Yes, exactly. Medicine is a product, and consumer demand shapes what that product looks like. If a doctor doesn't deliver the product a consumer wants, they will move on to a different "brand" that will.

There are different demands for medicine too. My wife prescribed an OTC medicine for a kid today, and the parent said they wouldn't try it because they were looking for a homeopathic remedy. Demand exists for things like magnets, copper bracelets, crystals, and such. Some people are more satisfied with remedies backed by the least science.

All Darc 01-17-2020 08:21 AM

The doctor in the documentary clearly showed that is possible to make the difference. And the documentary also showed how most doctors don't care about suggest alternatives and are manipulated by pharmaceutic industry.

Medicine it's a garbage.
Please watch the entire documentary, how many people got no longer in real chronic pain by in pain due long opioids use, problem created by the drugs.
Most drugs in such cases are nearly as bad as street drugs.

Homeopathics for other side are just placebo, charlatanism.
But in some cases such placebo charlatanism can help people quite sh...t dangerous drugs.

That's how some doctors that are not homeopathis believe in some homeopathy. They refuse to accept their work are most time a garbage, and when they see people getting better with placebo (get better after cut a bad prescription of allopathy) they feel need to accept homeopathy as true, since they refuse to admit their prescriptions was worse than nothing (worse then placebo). IN other words, arrogance leed them to believe in nothing (homeopathy it's nothing, just water).

Medicine... a bunch of clows.

redpoint5 01-17-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 615315)
Medicine it's a garbage.
Please watch the entire documentary, how many people got no longer in real chronic pain by in pain due long opioids use, problem created by the drugs.
Most drugs in such cases are nearly as bad as street drugs.

Homeopathics for other side are just placebo, charlatanism.
But in some cases such placebo charlatanism can help people quite sh...t dangerous drugs.

I'm certainly critical of medicine. It's the area of science I believe is well behind other areas, and among the last to adopt new technology. We're just now transitioning to keeping electronic records for patients instead of stacks of paper. Even our electronic record keeping (in this country) consists of millions of individual databases, so if you go to one place for care, the next place won't have your records unless they explicitly transmit them to the other place (going through an inefficient translation process and duplicating the data).

This multiplication of information infrastructure is a large reason why healthcare in the US is so expensive, and it's why I would entertain a single-payer national health program despite my slight libertarian leanings.

Analytics are hardly used in medicine even though Walmart is using it extensively for unimportant things like which Star Wars merchandise to order more of. The difference is that Walmart has to compete with their competitors whose prices are transparent. That means every tool that can be leveraged gets used. In medicine, there's hardly any competition because you'll go to the hospital that is nearby and insurance prefers, see the doctor that is accepting new patients, and ask no questions about the cost of anything. Then the doctors don't want AI questioning their diagnosis because that reduces the perceived value of the doctor. Machine derived analytics aren't even used to aid doctors even though setting up such a system would be incredibly easy for a company like Google or Amazon.

Placebo is generally taught as a valid treatment in medicine. It's called sugar pill. If someone might benefit by "doing something" even when nothing is called for, prescribing a sugar pill, multivitamin, or some other innocuous thing can help.

I'll watch as I have time. Maybe while I do paperwork today.

jjackstone 01-17-2020 02:21 PM

I read the book "Roadmap to 100" by Walter Bortz MD several years ago. He also advocates fewer drugs and more exercise to live well. My favorite story in the book was when he was relating his experience when giving a presentation to a room full of doctors about a new drug that was able to increase blood flow by either growing or expanding arteries. He said the same result could be obtained through regular exercise. One of the doctors told him after the presentation that he couldn't make any money from people exercising. And that is where most doctors' heads are. Have to make money. JJ

All Darc 01-17-2020 03:34 PM

Patient idealized by most doctors :

https://media.giphy.com/media/1Aiquo...ATIH/giphy.gif

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7e/59...2d545c8656.gif

Yeah, wel... not just money they want. If you know what I mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjackstone (Post 615341)
I read the book "Roadmap to 100" by Walter Bortz MD several years ago. He also advocates fewer drugs and more exercise to live well. My favorite story in the book was when he was relating his experience when giving a presentation to a room full of doctors about a new drug that was able to increase blood flow by either growing or expanding arteries. He said the same result could be obtained through regular exercise. One of the doctors told him after the presentation that he couldn't make any money from people exercising. And that is where most doctors' heads are. Have to make money. JJ

freebeard 01-17-2020 07:01 PM

I was about to give up on the thread until:

Monday should be interesting, Antifa and the Oathkeepers are going to march side-by-side against Gov. Northam in Virginia.

All Darc 01-17-2020 07:41 PM

What he did to turn leaft and rightrs wings against hin???

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 615363)
I was about to give up on the thread until:

Monday should be interesting, Antifa and the Oathkeepers are going to march side-by-side against Gov. Northam in Virginia.

freebeard 01-17-2020 08:43 PM

He has a history, post-birth abortions and blackface in old photos.

But when The Democrats swept the field in the last election, they announced contravening the Second Amendment. (He's state governor) 85% of Virginia's counties have adopted the Left's sanctuary policy and declared themselves 2A sanctuary counties. (in the USofA counties are the locus of power, not states or the Federal government) West Virginia has pointed out that some Virginian counties have the option (since the 1800s) to join West Virginia. Which would re-draw state boundaries.

The state is bringing in mobile sniper towers to reinforce a wall around the Capital grounds. The logical rebuttal is to use snipers to take out their electrical transformers and lay siege. :eek:

What's interesting is the Southern Antifa aren't as militant as the PNW Antifa.

Xist 01-19-2020 12:54 AM

I read a book by John Taylor Gatto saying that public education should involve sending kids to experience different lines of work and eventually apprentice somewhere that would lead to a job.

I forget who wrote the book that argued that A.D.H.D. doesn't exist, it is always a misdiagnosis of other conditions. It may have been behavioral neurologist Dr. Richard Saul.

All Darc 01-19-2020 09:55 AM

A.D.H.D exits, but diagnosis it's a garbage, like most things in psychiatry.

They fail to diagnosis early real A.D.H.D, and also states that a lot of children without A.D.H.D as having A.D.H.D.

And they just give drugs, in a age child brain it's developping.

If it could be early and right diagnosed it would be easier and maybe treated by behavior therapy, stimulus to exercise, playing, nature contact, with fewer or no drugs.
Problby a life "in cage" and fill with eletronics and without live air playing around with other kids, plus parenths ansiety and neurosis of hurry modern life, it's increasing the number of kids with A.D.H.D. Perhaps even high sugar intake too, since it estimulates the brain as a compulsion.

I'm sure that 40 years ago there were more kids with A.D.H.D than they thought back then, since there were fewer right diagnosis of positive. But It's problaly the real incidence today it's quite higher than the real incidence of 50 years ago.

Anyway medicine it's almost always a garbage. They are treating something they don't even know for sure what it is and it develops, using drugs they don't fully know how work in very long term.

And in the end you have doctors making a lot of money prescribing drugs like crazy, even for kids without A.D.H.D. "Take a pill and get away from me."
And you have doctors making movey selling books and lectures saying that A.D.H.D do not exists.
Garbage field!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 615466)
I read a book by John Taylor Gatto saying that public education should involve sending kids to experience different lines of work and eventually apprentice somewhere that would lead to a job.

I forget who wrote the book that argued that A.D.H.D. doesn't exist, it is always a misdiagnosis of other conditions. It may have been behavioral neurologist Dr. Richard Saul.

Xist 01-19-2020 01:57 PM

The V.A. diagnosed me with A.D.H.D., but all that Ritalin did was cause me to fail my urinalysis with the National Guard.

I am a very calm person. Is this with or without amphetamines? :)

Ritalin, or something like it, supposedly helps everyone. People with it improve. People without it gain super powers.

I have not figured out what caffeine does for me, either. One time I was driving my family to Phoenix, I had difficulty staying awake, and so I drank at least two litres of diet Coke.

I felt like I had a worse time staying awake, but there is no way to know.

freebeard 01-19-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Ritalin, or something like it, supposedly helps everyone. People with it improve. People without it gain super powers.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Methylphenidate, sold under the trade name Ritalin among others, is a stimulant medication used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy.[2] It is a first line medication for ADHD.[2] It may be taken by mouth or applied to the skin....

Common side effects include trouble sleeping, decreased appetite, anxiety, and weight loss.[2] More serious side effects may include psychosis, allergic reactions, prolonged erections, abuse, and heart problems. [2] Methylphenidate is believed to work by blocking dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake by neurons.[5][6] Methylphenidate is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant of the phenethylamine and piperidine classes.[2][7]

... It is estimated that in 2013, 2.4 billion doses of methylphenidate were taken worldwide.[9] About 80% of this was taken by people in the United States, making it the 47th most prescribed medication there.[9][10] It is available as a generic medication.[2] In the United States, the wholesale cost of the immediate release formulation is less than US$0.30 per dose as of 2018.[11]

Are you sure you're not thinking of psilocybin?

Xist 01-19-2020 03:18 PM

Clearly you know more about that, I just know what I was prescribed.

Abuse is a side-effect? Abusing it or other people?

So, addiction?

After I posted that I read that if an A.D.H.D. medication does not help, increase the dosage until either it helps or makes your kid a crybaby. If the maximum dosage doesn't help, repeat with every A.D.H.D. medication. If none of them help, get reevaluated for another condition.

I believe they mentioned depression and bipolar disorder.

Science!

freebeard 01-19-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Clearly you know more about that, I just know what I was prescribed.
I didn't even know how to spell it, I had to rely on autocomplete.

I do know a little about psilocybin. ;) Scott Adams is today repeating his psycho-modding his audience. Today it's decreasing the anxiety about outliving their pets. Episode 792.

edit:
Quote:

Abuse is a side-effect?
Makes more sense without the leading comma?

Xist 01-19-2020 04:18 PM

Prolonged erection abuse?

You know, if, for whatever reason, I found myself in a situation in which I am supposed to see a doctor (similar to a possible result of... other performance-enhancing drugs), I would not want some old dude inspecting me in that condition.

All Darc 01-19-2020 05:22 PM

A group of feminists decided to do a social research to find out, among professionals of different fields, about how they think was the right way to treat women.

-They asked a lawyer what does he thinks about how to treat women.

He responded rightfully: "With justice, helpfull laws, to ensure women equality and rights, wellbeing, as says the constituion."

-They asked a priest how he use to treat women :

He said calmly : "With compassion, faith, listening with the love of God, the lord wants the best for his daughters."

-They approached a police officer and asked hin the right way to treat women:

The cop responded: "With citizenship, respect, protection, for the rules of good social coexistence."

-They desided to ask a buddhist monk. How to treat women?

He monk, after meditate, told: "With detachment of material goods, meditation, with interior peace and the idea that life it's always renovating and happyness can be found even in simple things."

-Then they desided to ask a doctor. Dear doctor, how do you treat women?

The doctor direct said without breath: "With valium, Klonopin, ritalin and thorazine."

http://nationalpainreport.com/wp-con...09-620x350.jpg

Then he gave her a 180$ bill for the consultation...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 615497)
The V.A. diagnosed me with A.D.H.D., but all that Ritalin did was cause me to fail my urinalysis with the National Guard.

I am a very calm person. Is this with or without amphetamines? :)

I have not figured out what caffeine does for me, either. One time I was driving my family to Phoenix, I had difficulty staying awake, and so I drank at least two litres of diet Coke.

I felt like I had a worse time staying awake, but there is no way to know.

freebeard 01-19-2020 06:26 PM

Funny because stereotypes are true.

The dentist I went to had contempt for doctors because they are 'forced to deliver service for free' where he as a dentist never would.

rmay635703 01-20-2020 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought this was about
The Doctor,

Not a doctor whom

All Darc 01-20-2020 10:23 AM

Well, there are plenty of addicted doctors, whos uses morfine, cocain, vicodin, and many other drugs, more than average society, who could really give-up drugs.

Jokes aside, it's a very good documentary with interesting things to tauch. Watch and you will see how it's important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 615575)
I thought this was about
The Doctor,

Not a doctor whom

Xist 01-20-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 615575)
I thought this was about
The Doctor,

Not a doctor whom

Yes, I wondered when he ever used drugs, but maybe the lady does? Those episodes weren't included with Prime the last time that I checked.

I do not know why I stuck around when I realized I was tricked.