EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Dodge Cummins (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/dodge-cummins-17392.html)

wyatta4 05-15-2011 04:39 PM

Dodge Cummins

So, ever since I started mt MPG interest my dad has also started to wonder.

He has a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel Automatic.. He wants me to find out what he can do to get better mileage..
Any suggestions? Anything will help!
Thanks guys

cleanspeed1 05-15-2011 05:53 PM

Alright! Best B Series motor built, best block, easiest to modify, best injection pump ( Bosch P7100 ).

Service the truck front to back, convert to synthetics.

Run the hottest thermostat available and convert cooling system over to Evans Coolant.

Install a FASS or Airdog system.

Put the biggest open element air filter that can fit ( k&n or equivalent )

Decent sized aftermarket exhaust system from turbo to tailpipe.

TST Performance plate kit for the pump ( something mild, call for a recommendation )

Fresh set of injectors ( Dynomite, Scheid, any of the established shops )

Do the KDP fix ( Killer Dowel Pin, will save your engine )

Retorque the head ( I know it has nothing to do with mileage, but good preventive maintenance )

If the transmission hasn't been freshened up, get it done with a shift improver kit

Do a gear swap ( you didn't say if it was a 2WD or 4WD ), if you are not towing on a regular and if you can find a set, go to a 3.07 ring and pinion.

Your cruise rpm is 1600-1700 rpms.

Change your driving habits.

EDIT- MSD/Superchips Propane Injection Kit; will boost the mpg substantially with a nice power increase. Look online for the test that Diesel Power did on a Cummins powered Dodge Dually for that one.

Big Dave 05-15-2011 08:04 PM

Most of the same stuff I've done would work for him.

The best/cheapest thing is adjust the nut behind the wheel.

06colorado 05-15-2011 10:45 PM

you could also do water/methanol injection, but i think it helps best with keeping egt down when towing.

i suppose you could do a grill block and if 2wd, lower it or make an airdam that hangs lower than stock.

skyking 05-15-2011 11:55 PM

'96 cummins Dodge here.
I've done many of the mods listed above, except the coolant change. I installed a big block style 190 thermostat, I can get a NAPA part number or you with a little searching.
The Cummins t-stats are expensive and prone to rolling the rubber gasket into the works, causing them to stick.
No need for a fuel pump change, a fuel pressure gauge will tell you if you need it.
Stock air cleaner will support 350 HP if you get another hole in the airbox, the fender holes is just not enough.
Of course supporting 350 HP is not getting good fuel economy either;)

I found that after I added power, I have a hard time not using it. That "adjust your driving habits" part is a big part.
I have gotten back to the best towing mileage at 14.9, but I have not broken into the 20's yet unladen.
What kind of MPG's is he getting now?

wyatta4 05-16-2011 01:04 AM

It is 4wd and he wants to keep it that way. I think he is planning on doing an auto to manual tranny swap.. Just a thought he told me today..
And I have no idea what kind of mileage he is getting.. He says he doesn't know either haha... But I've showed him the list and he is definitely interested :D

skyking 05-16-2011 08:07 AM

Manuals have historically had the better mileage with the Cummins Dodge trucks. Unfortunately it is not a cheap proposition.

JasonG 05-16-2011 08:14 AM

I found a big change in going synthetic in the axles.
With the trailer I am stuck with 4.10 gears.
Your Cummings will handle the taller gears better than my Chevy.

wyatta4 05-17-2011 08:18 AM

Ya he says he can get it pretty cheap..
And what r u sayin JasonG?..

skyking 05-17-2011 09:19 AM

He's saying that the Cummins 6 cylinder can be lugged at lower RPM's than a typical V-8 Diesel.
That works only if you are solo. Tow like that and the transmissions tend to grenade on you. Too much torque down low.