Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
How do we get manual transmissions back in the US?

Here I am with the Cruze when I really wanted a full size car. Problem that made me arrive at the Cruze is I wanted a manual transmission. Now the real problem is I have 3 kids and can't fit 3 car seats in the back of the Cruze. Wouldn't it be great if everything came with a manual transmission option. The majority of vehicles in Europe come with standard equiped manual transmission. Why is the US not the same. Lazy fat people don't want to shift?
The other thing I keep seeing is that automatics are somehow achieving higher fuel economy than the manuals. If you go to Europe they have different transmissions in the cars than sold in US. Is it really big oil or women else trying to keep us away from driving manual cars? Sorry but with same top end gearing and reasonable gearing set up in between any person with experience driving a manual should be able to get better milage.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
Here I am with the Cruze when I really wanted a full size car. Problem that made me arrive at the Cruze is I wanted a manual transmission. Now the real problem is I have 3 kids and can't fit 3 car seats in the back of the Cruze. Wouldn't it be great if everything came with a manual transmission option. The majority of vehicles in Europe come with standard equiped manual transmission. Why is the US not the same. Lazy fat people don't want to shift?
The other thing I keep seeing is that automatics are somehow achieving higher fuel economy than the manuals. If you go to Europe they have different transmissions in the cars than sold in US. Is it really big oil or women else trying to keep us away from driving manual cars? Sorry but with same top end gearing and reasonable gearing set up in between any person with experience driving a manual should be able to get better milage.
In no particular order:

1) Manufacturers only have to EPA-TEST one tranny.
2) Manufacturers only have to SELL one tranny.
3) Most (80-85%), but not all, customers BUY automatics.
4) Manufacturers SELL what's most PROFITABLE: autos bring in $.
5) Forthcoming Robot Cars prefer Auto- over Manual transmission.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (08-02-2017), mcrews (08-03-2017), t vago (08-03-2017), ThermionicScott (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
I 100,000% agree with you there... Only things that are stick anymore are econoboxes and muscle cars... The high end super cars are all becoming automatic (Porsche GT3RS no longer available in manual) and mid size cars are seldom available in manual trans... My last car (the Altima) would have been great with a manual, but finding one factory equipped is like finding hens teeth, and that model was available in manual... Nothing bigger than midsize is stick at all, and midsize sticks are very rare anymore...

My last Ecotec project...
Old 06-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

I don't see it happening without a bunch of consumers deciding that they want one. I've resigned myself to enjoying them while I can...

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
Old 06-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
Looks like you have to install it your self.
GM never made a 3rd Gen F body with a six-speed manual.
That doesn't mean you can't have one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
101Volts (08-13-2017), ECONORAM (08-02-2017), t vago (08-03-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

As described above it's a Consumer democracy. Too many numbo's choosing what you don't like. Wait.. I'm a numbo :-)

Don't feel pressured by the numbo's.

Do what *you* want.

I have a manual car (celica) upgraded with a motor from an Automatic car. I have an Automatic car (Scenic) upgraded with a motor from a Manual car.

A guy at week just came up to me the other day and was telling me he's converting his GM Frontera from Auto to Manual because the Auto's are too sucky/expensive to repair.

Get a car you like, do what you like to it. If you want Manual, go manual.

btw-people want Auto because they change more smoothly and they can be lovely things - but I'm a numbo and what would I know. :-)
future - probably a Prius
Old 06-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
See, if you would have stopped at two you wouldn't have this issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
ecocruze (06-14-2017), ThermionicScott (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
We don't have manuals because new car buyers don't buy cars with manuals.

Want them to come back? Go buy a new car with a manual. Convince 300,000 of your closest friends to do the same.

My large sedan has one. But it's not eco, and it's not new.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 06-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
One of the main problems I see is when people are looking to buy a car they can't find a manual trans in the car they want so they settle for automatic. I mean my mother would drive stick yet if she could have found a Jeep that was manual within 100 miles. Same goes for my Dad. So I would say availability is a main issue. Mid size cars should have option at least. Guess we can factory order and say hold the tranny I'm putting my own in lol
Old 06-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
It's another reason I have little interest in most modern cars. The first and foremost reason being that almost all modern cars are deathly boring looking, when they're not downright ugly. The only ones that are decent too look at are rather too expensive sports cars.

Reply  Post New Thread