Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Barbie Car - '98 Volkswagen Jetta GTS
90 day: 19.19 mpg (US)

Spazda - '07 Mazda Atenza MPS
Aero-mod with Clear Duct Tape? Good idea?

The task I am trying to achieve is to kill two birds with one stone. I have a 1997 Jetta, my last fill up was 15.83 US MPG, EPA says 19 US MPG city so it's quite bad however it is winter, I got stuck in the snow on that tank too.

The car has no problem getting to temperature at idle or in drive-thrus but as soon as I hit the road even at 40 km/h my temperature drops, even in the summer the car would take quite some time to get to temperature so I really need to replace my thermostat but I'm not willing to start poking around with the weather as it is.

My solution is going to be a quick and dirty fix with clear duct tape. I'm thinking of buying a roll or two and covering the entire front bumper from wheel well to wheel well to increase aerodynamics as well as blocking the cold wind from cooling my poor struggling engine. I have my winter bumper on the car right now so damage to the paint doesn't concern me.

What's you're take on clear duct tape? Should I try to locate some coro-plasti to cut to size for the bigger openings or just do big strips straight across the whole bumper? Should I use any special cleaning supplies to get the best adhesion that will last all winter?

I was also considering the "subtle" approach and using bright pink duct tape because my car is an off red, looks kinda pink or camo duct tape.. you know, so no one will see my ghetto aero mod.

Last edited by VeeDaub; 11-27-2012 at 03:39 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
radioranger

well if your going to try that idea, why not mix up some papier mache and fillin the areas a bit then tape over them, easy to make a quick mod then , especially if your not worried about paint damage, or even better probably custom shape some foam and tape it on test etc, just monitor it , sometimes its lucky to have bad paint if your an ecomodder.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
I have no expeience with clear duct tape, but my thinking is that it should work.

I built a canoe that held 3 people out of cardboard and duct tape. The boat never took on any water. The combined weight of the 3 passangers was ~550lbs. My experience is duct tape would work.

Fill the spaces with cardboard. Make sure cardboard has duct tape on both sides to prevent moisture. Put cardboard over area to be covered and fasten w/ lots of tape .

Last edited by YeahPete; 11-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Someone mentioned paper mache
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
While I have nothing against modding the bumper you might also want to replace your thermostat. They are pretty cheap and it is usually very easy to do. But if your car is taking a long time to warm up and the engine gets cold while driving those are signs that definitely point to a stuck open thermostat.

Oh and as far as prepping your bumper for tape I have always either used a product called "Total Prep" which comes in a spray can or Acetone to clean parts prior to painting them. The Total Prep spray is a little milder than acetone but fair warning either one might take a little paint with them, but they leave a nice clean greese free surface that your tape should bond with very well.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Seriously, thermostat. It is $4 for a thermostat and seal on RockAuto. Buy some new hoses too while you're at it. It's not fun doing repairs in the winter but after installation you'll be much happier.

Also, this will look a lot better if you have a little time.

I'd say your time and money would be better spent on a thermostat and SNOW TIRES than duct tape. You can get a set of 14" Firestone WinterForces installed for $300 at Sears. It's cheaper than having a body shop straighten out your mangled core support and hood.

Sorry if that all sounded preachy, but a thermostat is going to be easier and more effective than covering your bumper with duct tape.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah I know it's the thermostat but I don't have a garage or even driveway for that matter so I would be working on it on the side of the road in the snow, which is why duct tape seems like the easier solution.

I have a few things I gotta change in the car anyways so perhaps later in the year I'll see if I can use someones garage to install my new fuel pump, flush the anti freeze, and replace my broken door lock cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I'd say your time and money would be better spent on a thermostat and SNOW TIRES than duct tape. You can get a set of 14" Firestone WinterForces installed for $300 at Sears.
Thermostat is on the list and I do have winter tires, I got some over sized 185/70R14 Uniroyal studded Tiger Paws (worst tires I've ever owned) however I should have 185/65R14 size for winter to keep my odometer acurate, I also use 195/60/R14 for summer. I refuse to use all seasons, waste of money in my mind.

I'm looking at a set of four Michellin X-Ice 185/65/R14 and it's just shy of $450.00 CAD so I think it's time to upgrade and I know a place that'll give me a good deal for mounting and balancing.

Back on topic, coated cardboard and duct tape should work? I'm reconstructing my summer bumper this winter for some perminent aero mods and that prius grille looks really nice so that idea will probably make it's way onto the summer bumper/grille once that project is under way. I'll make a thread for that but as mentioned, this is just my ghetto fix to give me heat until I fix it right.

My fill up today was 126.3km to 15.356 liters which is 19.33 US MPG now that I didn't get stuck on this fill up it's back to the EPA standard. Those are the number's to beat after this aero mod is finished.

Last edited by VeeDaub; 11-27-2012 at 03:47 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

It appears I need to have a minimum of 5 posts before I can post pictures so n0 visual progress for you. I purchased some clear duct tape for installation, I found an old cardboard box to use as block off plates, I really couldn't help myself but I bought some fancy duct tape to wrap the cardboard with, and I also found a can of Acetone in my basement next to all of my fiberglass supplies so it's all looking good to go.

I currectly have the center vent under the license plate all cut out with cardboard, I masked off the back to prevent moisture and then the fancy stuff on the outside. I'm just about to wipe down the bumper with acetone and then install this block off plate, after that I'm heading to Tim's to grab a coffee and test out how classy and functional I look.

Last edited by VeeDaub; 11-27-2012 at 03:50 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Duct tape does NOT like the cold, no matter what I did, even after wiping it down with acetone it would not stick. I had to seach high and low for an extension cord so I could bring out a hair dryer to heat up the bumper before the tape would stick but I got it. After going for a drive I took pictures at 5 minute increments and by the 15 minute marker I was up to temperature, I drove around for well over two hours and it stayed at temperature the entire time even with the heat on full. That quick fix worked great, I even took it down the highway to see if that would cool it off and it's all good.

I'm still going to replace the thermostat but at least I have heat until then. I don't know what I would have done without this site and all the quick and easy aero mods.

We'll see how the mileage has increased too when I need to fill up, I don't think it's going to be anything drastic but every bit helps.

Last edited by VeeDaub; 11-27-2012 at 03:52 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Awesome man! I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you. Definitely post up some pictures once you get a couple more posts.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Yeah, great to hear it worked out. If you have duct tape problems in the future don't forget about zip ties. I don't know where you're located but you might consider joining a VW forum. Someone would probably let you use their heated garage in exchange for some beer. That's how I greased my coilovers before winter a couple years ago at school.

Reply  Post New Thread