EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Does anyone else drive your car? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/does-anyone-else-drive-your-car-15202.html)

04_Sentra 11-18-2010 11:40 PM

Does anyone else drive your car?

So I rode the bus today and my better half worked from home, so in all it was a pretty good FE day. My wife wanted to do the grocery shopping tonight so she picked me up at the bus stop instead of me walking home. I jumped in the car and she jets out into traffic and is absolutely flogging the car, slamming through the gears, weaving through traffic. It felt like we went up on two tires around one corner but it could have been my imagination. The whole time I kept telling myself that it was only a couple of miles so it couldn't hurt my average that much, could it? Finally, I just reminded her that we were going to the grocery store not taking a trauma patient to the ER so please slow down.

So the question is does anyone else drive your car and how much do you think that it affects your FE?

Angelus359 11-19-2010 12:14 AM

I'd let my girlfriend drive my car if she wanted to... but shes financially minded... and has her own... so... She drives generally eco friendly

Ryland 11-19-2010 11:32 AM

I've let my room mate drive my car when she needs to haul stuff (hatch back!) but she drives like me, I've also let my next door neighbor use my car for weeks at a time and my girlfriend use it when I'm working on her car, with those two I tend to notice the mileage drop 5-10%, mostly because they don't turn it off at stop lights.

cfg83 11-19-2010 12:33 PM

04_Sentra -

Not counting servicing, I drive pretty much 100% of the time. This issue will pop-up this January when my sister visits. She may borrow my car. I *know* it will tank my MPG. I *want* to discount it, but that would make me a critical hippo.

CarloSW2

some_other_dave 11-19-2010 01:32 PM

My wife used to drive my car on occasion. I got tired of the (significant!!) impact on my FE, so she doesn't any more. Not unless it's an emergency.

-soD

SentraSE-R 11-19-2010 01:33 PM

I drive a manual tranny car, and my wife can't operate a clutch because of her arthritis, so I'm home free ;).

SuzukiSteve 11-19-2010 01:42 PM

My girlfriend drives my car sometimes. She used to "drive it like she stole it" but now she has discovered how much fun the kill switch is. lol.

gone-ot 11-19-2010 03:21 PM

...wife has her "own" cars (yes, two of them: '11 Cruze and '04 Vibe), but she's definitely not a "light-footed" driver...and always "...goes with the flow..." in the highspeed lane at whatever speed they're all clipping along at, regardless of whether it's above the posted speed limit or not.

redpoint5 11-19-2010 05:33 PM

My parents drive my vehicles occasionally, and they probably get 15% less FE than me. My dad likes to accelerate up until he is stopping (no coast) and revs the engine way higher than it needs to be, even though he isn't accelerating hard.

It kills me to be a passenger for this very reason. I see how inefficiently everyone else is, and it drives me crazy.

My sister is by far the worst. She jumps into a cold car and just hammers the peddle, and doesn't anticipate anything. She barely watches the road enough to avoid accidents (most of the time).

vtec-e 11-19-2010 06:43 PM

My wife drives the yaris now and then. She knows me and my hypermiling so she slags me something savage when she has to drive the yaris! I had to get the NCT (google it) done on it today and i could see the tester guy revving the sh1t out of it to clear the soot out so i would pass the test. Bittersweet moment i can tell you!