EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Does dirty fuel filter cause bad economy? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/does-dirty-fuel-filter-cause-bad-economy-12017.html)

Z2TT 01-25-2010 08:46 AM

Does dirty fuel filter cause bad economy?

Hello.

I have read on various forums that people have experienced better fuel economy after changing their fuel filters.

I'm wondering, how can a dirty fuel filter cause the vehicle to use more fuel?
wouldn't it use less?

Thanks.

MadisonMPG 01-25-2010 08:48 AM

It can cause you to have worse, but most of the time it doesn't. (at least in my case)

Z2TT 01-25-2010 09:04 AM

Thanks,

I'm wondering though, what is the technical explanation behind it causing bad fuel economy.

Johnny Mullet 01-25-2010 09:39 AM

If the filter is clogged, it won't run. If it's restricted, it simply makes the pump work harder.

Peter7307 01-25-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z2TT (Post 156529)
Hello.

I have read on various forums that people have experienced better fuel economy after changing their fuel filters.

I'm wondering, how can a dirty fuel filter cause the vehicle to use more fuel?
wouldn't it use less?

Thanks.

Z2TT,
A dirty fuel filter makes no difference to economy but it usually restricts the upper rev limit simply due to lack of flow.

Totally blocked the filter simply stops the engine since fuel can't get through.

Pete.

Dave's Civic Duty 01-25-2010 04:35 PM

By trying to keep the engine running, the natural impulse is to add more throttle. So to make up for the restriction we try to add more fuel by pumping the accel pedal. So for instance instead of having the engine cruise at let's say 1500 RPM we overcompensate & the result is a fluctuation in overall engine speed 1250 to 1750 to 1400 to 1600, just trying to keep a steady 1500.

Dave

Frank Lee 01-25-2010 05:18 PM

If only K&N made fuel filters- think of the power and economy!!! :eek:

Gasoline Fumes 01-26-2010 08:18 AM

I thought the dirty air filter thing was from back when cars were carbureted. Doesn't a restriction in airflow act as a choke, making the engine run rich?

Dave's Civic Duty 01-26-2010 08:48 AM

Frank Lee, what is your reasoning behind the K&N fuel filter. I run a K&N air for my truck, I noticed a difference right away. Is it an ultra low restriction gas filter?

Dave

gone-ot 01-26-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 156680)

...DANGER, Will Robinson, DANGER!

...if you use both a K&N air filter and a K&N gas filter, you'll save so much gasoline that it will backup and overflow the gas tank capacity, causing hydrocarbon air pollution and a fire danger (wink,wink)!!!

Frank Lee 01-26-2010 09:15 AM

Just think, you could stop in at gas stations...

to get paid for filling their tanks! :eek:

Dave's Civic Duty 01-26-2010 09:20 AM

I wonder how many will remember!..............

Oh The Pain.........Oh the pain!!!!!!!!!

:D

RobertSmalls 01-26-2010 06:34 PM

Quick, somebody slap a K&N sticker on a Fram fuel filter!

Christ 01-26-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 156826)
I thought the dirty air filter thing was from back when cars were carbureted. Doesn't a restriction in airflow act as a choke, making the engine run rich?

Yes.

Christ 01-26-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 156964)
Quick, somebody slap a K&N sticker on a Fram fuel filter!

That's it, I'm going to buy a pack of Fram fuel filters and slap a K&N label on each one, then sell it for double price and claim that it never needs to be replaced, you just wash it out backwards and put it back in. (I actually have 30 micron fuel filters that you don't replace, you just wash them backwards and reinstall them. They're stainless mesh.)

Better yet, I'm going to tell them that it doesn't need washed at all - you just remove, flip it over, and install it in the other direction... :rolleyes:

Dave's Civic Duty 02-01-2010 08:15 AM

(I actually have 30 micron fuel filters that you don't replace, you just wash them backwards and reinstall them. They're stainless mesh

Do you really? What vehicle or fuel, do you use them for? I don't know if I've ever seen a 1 micron SS mesh filter. I didn't know they made them that fine.:)

Dave

Christ 02-01-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave's Civic Duty (Post 158168)
(I actually have 30 micron fuel filters that you don't replace, you just wash them backwards and reinstall them. They're stainless mesh

Do you really? What vehicle or fuel, do you use them for? I don't know if I've ever seen a 1 micron SS mesh filter. I didn't know they made them that fine.:)

Dave

I dunno about 1 micron, I said 30. I use them on my garden tractors (Ironically, I don't have a garden.) and used to use them on carb'd trucks, too.

It's a stainless mesh inside a glass tube, when it gets crudded up, you take them apart and clean the mesh, then put it back together and you're good to go.

They're inline type filters, like the WIX ones that you can buy from the parts store for $2, except mine are like $10. Refills for them can be gotten from Summit and even some L&G stores.

Dave's Civic Duty 02-01-2010 11:43 AM

Sorry I took it as 30 1 micron fuel filters, & not how you intended a 30 micron filter. That I have seen in SS mesh.

Thanks for the clarification,
Dave

Christ 02-01-2010 01:26 PM

Oh, noes! If I had access to 1 micron SS mesh, I'd be selling these things at a premium!

Domman56 03-21-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 156680)

Haha frank i know this was posted in sarcasm but they do make Fuel filters just so ya know:thumbup: