EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Does EOC cause M/T wear? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/does-eoc-cause-m-t-wear-29401.html)

Baltothewolf 07-03-2014 10:25 PM

Does EOC cause M/T wear?

I'm currently having a huge argument with my dad, he seems to think that EOC causes extreme transmission wear because of the bump starting. Is this true? I would like some actual experience claims so I can get my dad off my back haha.

Frank Lee 07-03-2014 10:46 PM

Bump starting has no effect on transmission wear. At the worst it might increase clutch wear a skosh, but I doubt it's enough to ever notice or quantify.

California98Civic 07-03-2014 10:51 PM

The last 40,000 miles on my car were added using bump starting nearly all the time. I still drive with the original clutch. I did change the transmission, but that was to get taller gearing, not because of any unusual wear. Look up "PaleMelanesian" here on EM and his former car, the palecivic. He drove all bump starting all the time for years in a car with a transmission and clutch virtually identical to yours without any problems. He drives a fit now, but not because of transmission failure.

niky 07-03-2014 10:53 PM

Done right, it should provide very little additional wear beyond merely shifting gears.

Baltothewolf 07-03-2014 11:28 PM

This is exactly what I thought, thanks guys I appreciate it.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-05-2014 01:04 AM

Bump-starting is absolutely safe for the transmission. I don't understand why many Americans think otherwise...

user removed 07-05-2014 07:37 AM

People used to crank cars by hand. Look at it backwards. Try driving your car with the starter motor. It won't work because the starter motor won't produce enough power.

Getting a car moving with a clutch is exponentially more stressful on components than using the inertia of the vehicles motion to spin the engine over at a few hundred RPM.

It would take literally hundreds of PROPERLY EXECTUED Bump starts to equal one launch to 60 MPH. Moving 3000 pounds instead of rotating 40 or somwhere near that.

The wear is on the shift and clutch actuating mechanisms that have a very long service life. Will you ever replace a clutch due to bump starting?

That depends on how good you are at it and the best are hard to even feel by a passneger.

regards
Mech

Varn 07-05-2014 09:02 AM

I think bump starting introduces wear to entire drive train. I would rather replace a starter than a clutch.

niky 07-05-2014 12:14 PM

Additional wear to the clutch is, again, infintesimal. As Old Mechanic says, you are merely accelerating a few dozen pounds of crank, pistons and transmission up to a few hundred rpm rather than putting full load through the clutch.

A bump start at speed is a whole lot less stressful than a 1-2 shift done without lifting or rev matching. And millions of drivers do THAT synchro-stripping maneuver every day...

Baltothewolf 07-05-2014 12:59 PM

I'm confused niky, so you and old mechanic are saying it's no big deal? That's what I'm getting from it.