EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Does this seem reasonable? - 89 Hilux 1.9 VW - TDI 30MPG? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/does-seem-reasonable-89-hilux-1-9-vw-25523.html)

Saskwatchian 04-11-2013 08:36 PM

Does this seem reasonable? - 89 Hilux 1.9 VW - TDI 30MPG?

Hi, I am moving back to Canada in a few days and want to replace my Explorer that is patently waiting for me at home.

I have been souring Kijiji for good deals and ran across this gem (or turd, TBD)

Anyway it is a 4x4 1989 Toyota Pickup / Hilux with a VW 1.9L TDI swap running on 32s. The owner claims it gets 35 MPG in 2h which seems a bit too good to be true for a 4x4 on 32s.

Being Canada that could be either imperial or US gallons, if imperial that would work out to be 29 US MPG which I would still be quite happy with for a vehicle like this. Actually I would be happy with anything under 9 l/100km highway (26 US MPG, 31 imp MPG) as is and might be able to improve on it with a custom box and aerolid.

So my question is, does 30/35 MPG sound reasonable for a truck like this, or is the seller being a bit optimistic? Here is the add

pete c 04-11-2013 09:44 PM

I have heard of guys putting them in old toy pickups and getting that sort of mileage, even with the big tires.

War_Wagon 04-11-2013 09:58 PM

My '91 with a V6 got in the 20s on the highway with 31s on it. I am sure his numbers are based on highway mileage, seeing as there are no cities around there lol. Man that's a lot of money for 24 year old rust though. Go over that frame with a fine toothed comb if you go look at it!

Saskwatchian 04-11-2013 11:04 PM

Thanks guys. good to hear it isn't unreasonable... and what do you mean we don't have cities? we have 16 of them, two are even larger than 40,000 people :p

Yup old vehicles are definitely a risk and need to be thoroughly looked over. one advantage though is once it becomes a 25 year old bucket of rust it will only cost $100 a year to licence and insure in Saskatchewan :thumbup:

My budget is about $12,000 so that leaves a fair amount of room for fixing minor things. I am not to worried about the body as I can chop and cover the front fenders and will be replacing the bed but the frame needs to be solid.

I am hoping to build this up into a offroad capable camping tourer with a flip-top camper on the back, or with a aerolid for general and winter duties. I wouldn't go overboard on either off-road or eco mods but would focus mostly on the camping tourer setup.

I might also get a firefly/metro for everyday use or possibly a small cheap motorcycle to puts around on as I realize I don't always need a truck, but they are sure nice to have when you do.