EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Does Yahoo know what it is talking about? (says tonneau has 'no real impact' on mpg) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/does-yahoo-know-what-talking-about-says-tonneau-21033.html)

ciderbarrel 03-17-2012 01:11 PM

Does Yahoo know what it is talking about? (says tonneau has 'no real impact' on mpg)

Yahoo! Finance - Financially Fit

"...putting a cover on the pickup truck's bed had no real impact on fuel efficiency."

Really? REALLY? I'm pretty sure a few of you here have found a real positive impact on FE.

euromodder 03-17-2012 03:09 PM

What a laugh - 32 to 45 psi doesn't improve your mileage ???
It d@mn well does !

Kodak 03-17-2012 03:43 PM

I didn't click the article but I know what to expect. Recycled journalism. Conveying the common knowledge with no real inspiration to question convention and find new information. That's what I'd bet it's about.

I understand the tire pressure dilemma. If someone did ever have a blow-out, and was using a higher pressure, one may be inclined to blame the journalist (or news organization) for the recommendation. Personally, I run over placard but below sidewall. Feels fine to me.

Ladogaboy 03-17-2012 04:51 PM

I've found that the articles Yahoo! posts that contain the most incorrect/misleading information most often also have the comments option disabled. This article is no exception.

Also, I think that most of the contributors on Yahoo! are following Tim Ferris' advice about how to become an expert in any field in a short period of time. Notice, very few contributors have anything published in peer-reviewed journals or have any notable certifications. They are, essentially, self-proclaimed experts in whatever field they choose to write on.

capnbass91 03-17-2012 05:27 PM

Just saw this article today too, ridiculous. Putting less load on the engine (a/c off) so it doesn't have to work as hard won't increase your mileage... riiiight.

t vago 03-17-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciderbarrel (Post 294062)
Yahoo! Finance - Financially Fit

"...putting a cover on the pickup truck's bed had no real impact on fuel efficiency."

Really? REALLY? I'm pretty sure a few of you here have found a real positive impact on FE.

Actually, I have empirical data that pretty much shows that a tonneau cover does nothing for a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. That Mythbusters episode mentioned in this article was when they tested a similar Dodge Dakota regular cab model. The article (and Mythbusters) should not have overgeneralized the findings from test results of a Dodge Dakota to all trucks in general.

toc 03-17-2012 05:44 PM

Tonneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mythbusters tested the myth.
Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 64: More Myths Revisited

cfg83 03-17-2012 06:33 PM

Ladogaboy -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 294116)
I've found that the articles Yahoo! posts that contain the most incorrect/misleading information most often also have the comments option disabled. This article is no exception.

Also, I think that most of the contributors on Yahoo! are following Tim Ferris' advice about how to become an expert in any field in a short period of time. Notice, very few contributors have anything published in peer-reviewed journals or have any notable certifications. They are, essentially, self-proclaimed experts in whatever field they choose to write on.

Are you implying they're a bunch of yahoos, ;) ?

EDIT: I saw 248 comments as of this posting.

CarloSW2

Ladogaboy 03-17-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 294134)
Ladogaboy -

Are you implying they're a bunch of yahoos, ;) ?

EDIT: I saw 248 comments as of this posting.

CarloSW2

Implying!?! :p

Interesting... I'll have to check back. There wasn't a field for leaving comments when I first viewed the article. It's mostly the health and wellness articles that don't allow feedback (e.g., an article that quoted HFCS as being just as healthy as honey).

Frank Lee 03-17-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

The theory here is that air conditioning draws energy from the engine, and that lowering the windows reduces drag
Messed that one up too. :rolleyes: I understand they want it short and sweet for the typical ADD-addled Uhmerican, but it was simply too wrong and too short on data.