EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Door Damage (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/door-damage-5142.html)

ptsmith24 09-17-2008 07:13 PM

Door Damage

I had some door damage from a while back (door bent all the way back the other way). I fixed it so that it would at least close as good as it can. However, I'm curious how much that really could affect FE. It's definitely louder in the car from wind and such. What would be a cheap, effective way to fill in or cover up the creased up gap that now exists? Thanks ahead of time for the help. :)

DifferentPointofView 09-17-2008 07:21 PM

What's it look like?

I've got a dent in my door, and it seems ever since I got it my FE has gotten better :D

I think its from less frontal area, and the air has a truck bed thing going on making air pass over it smoothly.

Tango Charlie 09-17-2008 08:37 PM

If it's louder, it must be sticking out into the wind, which would definitely be bad. Your gas is being turned into noise. :p
Can you post up some pictures?

ptsmith24 09-17-2008 08:42 PM

I'll try and get some pictures up. But, it isn't really sticking out. I think it's just louder because it's open and air is blowing over it making it louder. Not to mention the seal of the door isn't the same as the other 3 good ones, so that may be a factor. It looks like the regular door seam was peeled apart further, not outwards, but towards the front and back of the car. It's a little difficult to put in words, I suppose. I'll try to remember to get pictures sometime. I was just wondering if anyone had any general ideas about what to do. I thought about that yellow expanding foam stuff (I can't remember the name, at the moment). But, I need to factor in the movement of the door and make sure I don't inhibit that. I've driven it for over a year since I did that, but it crossed my mind on the way home today.

dcb 09-17-2008 08:53 PM

If I felt like rigging it, I might:

1. spray the door perimeter with wd40 (the side without the weatherstripping) but clean the weatherstripping side.
2. climb in and close the door.
3. use masking tape to close the gaps from the inside
4. climb out the other door.
5. take a silicon caulk gun and go to town on all the gaps.
6. wait for caulk to dry (might take a few passes on larger gaps).
7. remove tape carefully and open door carefully.

ptsmith24 09-17-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 61781)
If I felt like rigging it, I might:

1. spray the door perimeter with wd40 (the side without the weatherstripping) but clean the weatherstripping side.
2. climb in and close the door.
3. use masking tape to close the gaps from the inside
4. climb out the other door.
5. take a silicon caulk gun and go to town on all the gaps.
6. wait for caulk to dry (might take a few passes on larger gaps).
7. remove tape carefully and open door carefully.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

But, the gap is so big that a caulking gun doesn't really seem feasible. Since I've driven with it for so long, I think I've just gotten used to it. If I level off on FE with non-aero mods, I may venture into this arena. I'm just not sure if it's worth it or not.

Another thought I had was just covering the outside with the thinnest piece of hard material I could find. I would have to cut it in half and put a hinge on it or something, but I think it might work.

dcb 09-17-2008 09:04 PM

Well, you get the idea :) fill it with something plasticy but make sure one side will release from it.

dremd 09-17-2008 10:33 PM

200 MPH tape
Gaffers tape
Whatever you want to call it; might work . . . .

Pics would be very nice (coming for the guy who never takes pics . . .)

ptsmith24 09-17-2008 10:35 PM

Yea, hopefully I'll get around to taking some before too long... I'll keep the suggestions in mind in the meantime.

bikin' Ed 09-18-2008 10:46 AM

If only the door, and not the frame, is FUBAR, why not get a door from the salvage yard?