EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Double Tank Mileage Contest (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/double-tank-mileage-contest-28870.html)

bwilson4web 05-04-2014 07:14 PM

Double Tank Mileage Contest

Hi,

Mileage rallies have all but disappeared so I decided to kickoff a world-wide, year long, double tank mileage contest. For this year, gas powered, Prius-only, as I know how to handicap the different models. If it works, next year we'll look at expanding it . . . assuming we can find sponsors for the awards.

For now, the rules are posted at PriusChat only because I hang out there:
Double Tank Mileage Contest | PriusChat

The contest starts June 1, 2014 and goes through May 31, 2015. An experiment, we'll see how it goes. Feel free to share this with other forums.

Bob Wilson

Cobb 05-04-2014 09:27 PM

I use to be into stuff like that, but then I learned to what extend people go to "cheat". Inflating tires to 120 psi, gutting the interior of the vehicle. Shorting the fluids a qt in the tranny, engine, radiator, draining the windshield washer fluid just to name a few.

When I did mpg runs I used the cruse control and filmed a segment with youtube to show the settings on the ac, heater, radio, etc.

bwilson4web 05-04-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 423088)
I use to be into stuff like that, but then I learned to what extend people go to "cheat". Inflating tires to 120 psi, gutting the interior of the vehicle. Shorting the fluids a qt in the tranny, engine, radiator, draining the windshield washer fluid just to name a few.

I agree! To which I would also add:
  • Driving 1,000 miles for a 30 mile "rally"
  • Labor needed to handle traditional rally logistics
  • "Bowling tophy" never seen again
The rules are a combination of "lessons learned" from previously failed rallies plus my first 1,000 mile tank.

Quote:

When I did mpg runs I used the cruse control and filmed a segment with youtube to show the settings on the ac, heater, radio, etc.

I'm OK with a recorded video but duration of my 1,000 tank was over 40 hours and boring as heck. I won't be watching a youtube video that long.

All I'm looking for is an ending photo like this:
http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/1000mi_721a.jpg
  • 1,000.8 miles is less than 2x the full tank range range
  • 1000.8 / 91.8 = 10.9 gallons :: I could have added 2 gallons and easily met the 2x tank range
I designed the rules to avoid the problems of past rallies yet be achievable. It won't be easy but the prize, a wind breaker with the numbers, isn't enough of a prize to justify going nuts . . . not that some won't insist on it.

Seriously, if you see a problem with the rules, let me know. The contest does not start until June 1st and I'm OK with fixing problems before the start.

Bob Wilson

ecomodded 05-05-2014 01:06 PM

I want to compete against the Prius's , to put them in their place as the prince of mpg's not the king !

bwilson4web 05-05-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 423209)
I want to compete against the Prius's , to put them in their place as the prince of mpg's not the king !

Sounds like a great idea. Go ahead but I'm sponsoring prizes for the gas-only, Prius drivers and owners.

If anyone fails to meet the rules requirements, I'll reply they are disqualified and there will be no prize. Then I might send a note to the moderators about 'this troll' or just put them on my ignore list.

Now if you would like to sponsor another make and model:
  • Copy the rules changing from Prius to whatever you want.
  • Find or self-sponsor equivalent prizes but do not include my name.
  • Publish your contest rules in whatever forums are likely to find interested participants.
Understand this, I am sponsoring gas-only Prius awards: one prize to one vehicle, any of the gas-only Prius, . . . a limit of 10 unless I can find other Prius sponsors. I do not have time nor interest in other models. You will have to find someone to sponsor prizes for other vehicles.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson
Huntsville, AL 35802

ps. As a practical point, TDI vehicles tend to have lower MPG at slower speeds. As they go slower, their fuel efficiency suffers. For example, the 2014 Jetta TDI is listed as 30 city and 42 highway and a range 493 miles, 14.5 gallons. To be competitive with the Prius that has auto-off built into the control laws, the TDI driver would have to stop and bump-start the engine for a whole tank, 986 miles.

Now I'm OK with those who choose to drive their TDI by forcing the engine-off, coasting, and then bump-starting. But for 986 miles, twice the EPA range, it would be unpleasant. Perhaps if someone used a microcontroller to handle the auto-stop and restart during coasting (i.e., clutch-in, accelerator off,) it might work, but this is not a trivial technical problem.

In contrast, the Prius has auto-stop built into its control laws at speeds under 42 mph and 46 mph for the more recent models. So as the Prius runs slower, lower drag energy losses, the Prius is able to exploit low-speed drag. For example, look at my average speed to achieve 1,000.8 miles:
http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/1000mi_721a.jpg
I drove this distance using cruise control at 26-27 mph . . . for over 45 hours. This is a 'go slow' contest and just as boring which tends to be uninteresting to "Type A" personalities.

sheepdog 44 05-06-2014 12:39 PM

I think that for all tanks that exceed double the range, the winners should be those with the highest average speed.

That makes the challenge more interesting and competitive. Doing it at the fastest (slow) possible speed is harder to do than achieving fractionally more mpg or range past a double tank. Driver technique and car preparation are tested far more trying to push the average speed.

sheepdog 44 05-06-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't consider that cheating except the except the tranny and engine oil. I consider the pursuit of a best tank a marathon. The more you suffer with the windows up and the AC off the better. That's somewhat what makes NASCAR a physical sport.

bwilson4web 05-06-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 (Post 423384)
I think that for all tanks that exceed double the range, the winners should be those with the highest average speed. . . .

It is a PASS/FAIL contest against the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. I'm trying to encourage wide-spread attempts to double the miles on one tank which by itself is a real challenge.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 (Post 423384)
. . . That makes the challenge more interesting and competitive. Doing it at the fastest (slow) possible speed is harder to do than achieving fractionally more mpg or range past a double tank. Driver technique and car preparation are tested far more trying to push the average speed.

That is a different race but sad to say, it is no longer being held and I don't remember who won or what was their prize. Now if we get 10 or more folks wearing a useful piece of clothing, year round that shows what a gas-only, Prius can achieve, it will be well worth the small price paid.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web 05-10-2014 10:21 PM

Hi,

I've updated the rules to clarify:
  • Miles and fuel consumed come from the tripmeter photo - this means there is no need to overfill the tank or run it dry.
  • Entrance posting details - please include your city/state/provence and any recommended Prius dealers. I want to contact them to see if they want to 'enhance' the award. This is entirely optional but may allow us to expand the number awards beyond my initial 10.
  • Sketch of the windbreaker prize and details.
  • Door prize for 1,000 mile / 1,600 kilometer tank - even if you don't reach the 2x range, you'll get a T-shirt.
Bob Wilson