Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
my bizarre(?) route to efficient

Once upon an old subaru, in 1997.
50mpg more times than I can't remember. It was a dl model,carbed, manual everything and EGR lunacy (melted the belly eventually with physics). I have since learned alot without words. Not many approach me under the hood to start a car conversation if they no better...
hypermilers hangout seems a good place to speak some things:
1. the precision of the entire car as a whole electrically. There is indeed no such thing as a perfect one. This could get a thread all its own, but can mention one example: undercoating making the engine fire stronger...the "juice" aint flying out of the body faster than the plug can ground into nice spark. Many many of my cars FAIL here...that one fact. Of course strong fire means back off the throttle, full cylinders, cooler engine, and the efficiency is very obvious.
2. urethane paint. the two part stuff, acrylic is ok for patches, or edges. the majority of the surface needs the strong stuff, hence the big bill by car painters to do it..it isn't environmentally friendly.
3. steel wheels need strong paint too. Alloys are magical, it is still bewildering to me. It takes no life from the car, actually feeds it. All while its own resistance of man made is in there somehow...
4. fuel pump ever strong enough? I setup fuel pumps to use return line with enough pressure to make that happen. keeps fuel source cooler near engine, big big efficient maker...a big fuel pump on regular stuff.
5. cold air for injection, carbed cars could care less, in fact a carb car should have a hint of warm for the venturi to help atomize.
6. all the common sense friction reducers. synthetic grease, high temp on bearings for example.

These are some of the things I learned with a subaru.Applied to everything I may ever purchase with an engine to drive. 45mpg with snow treads on 15 inch wheels and 1781cc driving the whole thing is not a surprise. I do leave more than a few in disbelief... if I could sum it up with "its got a 3 main boxer four" and leave it at that worldly known fact, but no. I must babble the reasons why a 3 main boxer four is the absolute greatest on earth...
I do not see many speak of subarus and hypermiling...I find it very very strange indeed. Am I the only one here?
I am sure there must be an old school air cooled beetle driver or two...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The ClownCar - '91 Geo Metro Base
Send a message via AIM to TrikeKid Send a message via Yahoo to TrikeKid
Wow, that was really hard to follow. The stream of ideas writing style doesn't transfer well to the internet.

Reply  Post New Thread