EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Eco Lesson Take II (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eco-lesson-take-ii-2995.html)

Lazarus 06-11-2008 07:47 PM

Eco Lesson Take II

Buddy at work has a 98 Subaru Legacy 2.2 L automatic. We have had some interesting conversations on fuel saving and he seemed interested in learning. I told him he could use my SG for a couple of weeks to see how he would do with it.

Today we hooked it up and went for a test run with him driving normal on a 7 mile test loop and then with him driving and me talking him through techniques the next time around. 2 stop signs and 4 lights on the course with speeds from 30- 55 so I would consider it mixed driving. He was not going to EOC, shutdown at lights or run with out the AC (99 today). We spent a lot of time talking about acceleration rates, shift point, posted speed limit and RPM, coasting, terrain and traffic flow before we did the second loop.

He was pretty sharp and it will be interesting to see how he does in the next couple of weeks. At one point as we were approaching a traffic light around a blind conner I asked him " why do you think there are no cars in the opposite traffic lanes" with out hesitation he said "because the light is red" and then started coasting the mile or so to the red light.:thumbup:

I thing once the SG game get into his head he will be shutting down at lights and at least turning off the AC during acceleration as we talked about because he was amazed that the MPG jumped 4 when we turned it off a couple of time to see what affect it had.

So hopefully another convert.:turtle:

Normal driving 22.9 mpg
Eco driving 31.3 mpg

echomodder 06-11-2008 07:53 PM

Haha Good job:thumbup: We snag another one:D Even if he doesn't do the SLSD (stop light shut down) or the EOC (Which I won't do as well) he will still be saving gas

Daox 06-11-2008 08:19 PM

Very nice. :)

Arminius 06-11-2008 09:11 PM

Good job! I find that those who aren't initially interested start to listed when I talk about money saved or show them the SG in action. I had a few die-hard gas addicts who were hard to crack, but they eventually softened a bit.

RH77 06-13-2008 11:45 AM

As a student of the "Lazarus Eco-Driving School", I can attest that having an experienced hypermiler in the passenger seat (or even to drive your own car to show you what's possible) is very valuable.

I think it stresses the importance of group meet-ups and MPG rallies. How often does the average Eco-driver, ride with another? I think nearly everyone does it differently, which is the advantage.

Great work, by the way!

-RH77

digitaldissent 06-13-2008 03:45 PM

good idea kinda like a Linux install meetup

have a regular hang out show off cars and show people how to drive, I think when people see the Scangauge in action they will start to crack.

I first thought yeah! meetup have a few beers hang out, show people how to drive....wait that might turn out bad :D

Lazarus 06-16-2008 05:09 PM

Talked with my friend today. I've noticed the car been backed into a parking spot the last couple of time. He say that this tank is a little over 30.xx mpg. The SG is not calibrated yet so who knows what that really works out to but it much better then he started.

SGII is on his list. He's a convert.:turtle::turtle: