EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Eco-Modding noob (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eco-modding-noob-19962.html)

ProDarwin 01-02-2012 07:05 PM

Eco-Modding noob

Here's my quick intro:

New to ecomodding, not at all to modding cars. I've autoxed for many years now and am currently prepping (slowly :( ) my 2006 S2000 for STR. It's like anti-ecomodding. :D

Anyway, my DD is a 1998 Saturn SL2 automatic. It's my 8th or so Saturn. I plan on doing a few mods to it to improve mileage:

-Front Air Dam
-Antenna delete/hide
-Drop it
-lighter wheels, LRR tires
-maybe grill block
-maybe delete factory rear wing (replace with a trunk lip/something more efficient?)

My goal is to average mid 30s. Seems low, but I live in the DC Metro area, which is not very conducive to good mileage, and certainly not conducive to hypermiling. My commute is ~10 miles with 10 traffic lights and an average speed of approx 30mph.

I will make an effort to drive more efficiently, but will not be doing any long-distance coasting, 50mph highway driving, or extremely slow acceleration. Traffic around here is sensitive to such things, and I refuse to be the source of any problems... I know I hate it when I have to wait an extra 5 mins at a light because someone moved too slowly and held up traffic.

I also will not do any mods that will decrease the performance of the car drastically, or significantly impact the look of the vehicle (HAI, wheel skirts, etc.) Not trying to knock anyone off the top 10, just satisfying my never ending desire to modify any cars I own, and tinker with things.

California98Civic 01-02-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProDarwin (Post 277474)
my DD is a 1998 Saturn SL2 automatic. It's my 8th or so Saturn. I plan on doing a few mods to it to improve mileage:

-Front Air Dam
-Antenna delete/hide
-Drop it
-lighter wheels, LRR tires
-maybe grill block
-maybe delete factory rear wing (replace with a trunk lip/something more efficient?)

My goal is to average mid 30s.

Welcome to EM. I'll just tell you what I would do within the parameters you describe and with your auto trans. The antenna delete is probably the least valuable on your list. I did one, and I am looking for ways to undo it or redo it so I can get better reception back. The grill block is something I would do as soon as I devised a way to make it stealthy. There are some great examples here (look at Daox's "pretty Prius" grill block project for one example and further references to others). I would drop the car with clamps and get an alignment (I plan on this for my car); install a front airdam (I have one); and pump tires up past the sidewall as you feel comfortable. When your current tires are really bald, then replace them with LRRs and new wheels (that's my plan with my current baldies). Cut weight out wherever possible, safe, tolerable. Good luck.

deathtrain 01-02-2012 10:44 PM

I drive 55-60 mph.
I only EOC if no one is behind me or so far back that i do not get in the way.
I don't take off as fast as everyone but I dont do it slow enough it get in the way.

And you will over time start folding on your above rules once you see the numbers go higher. ( I had them too. now my only one is no boat tail) then you will try to beat those numbers on the next fill up. your into racing so you always want to do better.

I have not done any outer mods but the grill block. everything else has been a complete driving style change.

Welcome

ProDarwin 01-03-2012 07:51 AM

Wow, the "Pretty Prius" grill block looks pretty awesome. I may give something like that a shot.

Good to know on the antenna delete. I rarely listen to the radio, but I don't want to wreck the resale value (what little there is) of this car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathtrain (Post 277514)
I drive 55-60 mph.
I only EOC if no one is behind me or so far back that i do not get in the way.
I don't take off as fast as everyone but I dont do it slow enough it get in the way.

Heh, in my commute there is always someone behind me, and always someone in front of me :mad: . Traffic is a way of life. Unfortunately, when moving, I travel around 40mph. Occasionally I get stuck behind someone doing 35 (speed limit), which sucks because at that speed my car will downshift on even the slightest incline. There is approximately 1 mile of 55mph road in my commute, where I travel at whatever speed the traffic is going... usually 60.

That said, the highway comment was more directed toward interstate travel. Just finished a 2000 mile road trip, and the speed limit was 70 pretty much everywhere. I went with the flow around 75 because I can't stand to be the guy holding everyone up.

ProDarwin 01-03-2012 09:25 AM

Also, why would you lower your car with clamps?

Lowering springs for a Civic are readily available and safer. If you want to take the ultra-cheap route you could cut them instead.

I'll probably just snag a set of used aftermarket springs for my car. Maybe I'll cut off a dead coil or two to get it lower yet.

California98Civic 01-03-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProDarwin (Post 277591)
Also, why would you lower your car with clamps?

Reversible. Cheap. I can test different levels before I commit hundreds of bucks to one change or another. But why would you say clamps are not safe? For the tame and ordinary driving my car does, it hardly seems possible there's a significant risk.