EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   Eco-Signature - A thought... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eco-signature-thought-1684.html)

Who 04-02-2008 11:36 PM

Eco-Signature - A thought...

I was wondering how others might feel about changing the word EPA in the signature to read target instead or as an alternative? I replaced the EPA numbers with my target numbers. There'd be nothing wrong with anyone continuing to use EPA as a target.

MetroMPG 04-03-2008 10:34 PM

That's not a bad idea!

Rather than change EPA, there could be an additional field in the garage (target MPG), an additional sig image added, and you could just choose which one you want to show (if any).

Gone4 04-03-2008 11:49 PM

I personally like seeing them as above EPA because it drives the point home for people who aren't normal visitors, or if you use it other places. It can really say, "I kick ass."

(I don't use it yet because I don't drive regularly right now, never full tanks on my own, and often across 4 vehicles... so my opinion shouldn't matter too much)

PaleMelanesian 04-04-2008 09:31 AM

I'd support this only if it's an additional mark. %EPA is a comparable standard to measure all the cars against. What if I set my mark at 10mpg? I'd be... 578% above!!!

MetroMPG 04-04-2008 11:22 AM

Agreed.

This would be an additional option; it wouldn't replace % over EPA as a standard. In other words, it wouldn't affect anyone currently using the % over EPA image.

But the idea of being able to enter an arbitrary target and track status relative to that could be a good thing (particularly if you're announcing it to the world via your sig image).

EG. I could set a target of 100 mpg for a fill-up again this summer. Which happens to be 150% over (new) EPA.

Lazarus 04-04-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 17785)
Agreed.

This would be an additional option; it wouldn't replace % over EPA as a standard. In other words, it wouldn't affect anyone currently using the % over EPA image.

But the idea of being able to enter an arbitrary target and track status relative to that could be a good thing (particularly if you're announcing it to the world via your sig image).

EG. I could set a target of 100 mpg for a fill-up again this summer. Which happens to be 150% over (new) EPA.

But Why? I don't get it.

Who 04-04-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 17766)
I'd support this only if it's an additional mark. %EPA is a comparable standard to measure all the cars against. What if I set my mark at 10mpg? I'd be... 578% above!!!

All the cars? Actually only models sold in the USA are EPA rated. My EPA number is actually inferred on the U.S. version but the model is unique to Canada; Transport Canada figures don't always translate to EPA. We also have people here from outside North America? What do they use? Some drive cars that aren't sold here. Heck, some Canadian models aren't sold in the USA like the small Acura, the gen 1 Smart cars etc.

Comparable? What does measuring against EPA compare? How you compare to an artificial test, right? So if you are better is it because the rating is easier to beat for your particular make and model? We all know how much difference the type of transmission makes yet the EPA ratings for automatics are often higher. Or maybe because you try 100% and your techniques are excellent? Maybe because you cherry pick your drives? My commute is my worst possible mileage scenario so any other trips help my mileage. Perhaps you live in Florida where gas is always summer grade equivalent, the bearings and fluids don't get cold and the roads are flat?

Likewise if someone does worse than EPA, is it because they live in WV at the bottom of the biggest hill you can imagine and take shorts drives or do they like passing everyone on the road?

I guess I don't share the same fascination with exceeding EPA numbers that many of you do. I live in a climate that's cold half the year and commute very short distances and do lots of other short haul stuff with kids as well.

My goal is 23½ MPG / 10 LHK. That's what I measure myself against. That's why I bought a ScanGauge, that's why I try to use forums like this to help me achieve my goal.

Anyway, the hosts here do an amazing job. I don't want to add work for a fringe request. Just remember that EPA on my sig stands for expected pump average. My "epa" rating exceeds the inferred U.S. "EPA" rating by 25%, hopefully I can achieve it.

:p