EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Eco-Washing? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eco-washing-3169.html)

Bror Jace 06-18-2008 07:24 PM

Eco-Washing?

Sometimes, when I see it is raining out, I go outside and lather up my car in the driveway. I don't use a hose or anything else, just a wash mitt with some car soap on it.

I lather up the car thoroughly starting from the top and working my way down. Takes me about 5-10 minutes total.

If I time it right, and there's at least 15-20+ minutes of rain after I am done, the rain will completely rinse the car clean.

If I am REALLY lucky, I won't have to go anywhere until the rain stops and the roads are dry (like last night and today). Car looks like I just spent HOURS on it. :thumbup:

Anyone else do this?? :confused:

johnpr 06-18-2008 07:31 PM

havent done that but i should! when i lived in florida it rained 4 times a week during the summer, always durring the day and it was usually pretty short amount of time. i washed my trans am twice a week, hmm that would have saved a good amount of water...

MetroMPG 06-18-2008 07:53 PM

I've thought about it. Sounds good until I remember I'm going to be getting soaked while washing the car in the rain!

johnpr 06-18-2008 11:37 PM

^^as long as its a decent temp though thats part of the fun :) ^^

Bror Jace 06-18-2008 11:40 PM

"Sounds good until I remember I'm going to be getting soaked while washing the car in the rain!"

Where's your sense of adventure? :p

Seriously, I don't get too wet during the several minutes I'm out there ... and am usually in an old T-shirt and jeans when I do it. So who cares? And, If the rain is heavy enough, I wear a rain-repellent shell. :thumbup:

Yep, it saves time, water, and you have a car that's cleaner more often. One co-worker marveled at how I clean I was able to keep my black Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV. :cool:

TheDon 06-18-2008 11:41 PM

I am afraid to wash my car in the rain due to the FL thunderstorms;however, I do wash my car on my front lawn so all of the water goes into the grass. I use Maguires gold class car wash and my grass has never been greener :)

ttoyoda 06-18-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Sometimes, when I see it is raining out, I go outside and lather up my car in the driveway. I don't use a hose or anything else, just a wash mitt with some car soap on it.
I do that too. Gives the neighbors something to talk about. :p
I use a dustpan brush, because I worry a cloth or sponge or mitt could trap grit and scratch the paint. I figure a brush will not be able to press grit against the car paint.

Peakster 06-19-2008 01:43 AM

What a great idea since rainwater is usually really soft. As long as one carries an umbrella, a person shouldn't get wet either.

Johnny Mullet 06-19-2008 07:15 AM

I could not imagine me washing my Metro in the rain with a bucket of suds and a dripping wet mullet. I might get the neighbors excited.

NoCO2 06-19-2008 09:06 AM

I've thought of doing this, but the problem is two-fold for me. First thing, I live in an apartment complex, I'm not quite sure how they would feel about me filling the parking lot with we sudsy water. Secondly, I live in GA, and juuuust north of the city. If anyone has ever been about 10 miles north of Atlanta, you know that the weather is IMPOSSIBLE to predict, so if it starts raining, chances are it will stop just about the time I get the sponge wet for the first wipe at the car and then I'll just have a sudsy car. Thunderstorms seem to either miss my location by about 5 miles to the north or they literally just appear out of thin air right above my head, you can never tell.