EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Eco-Washing? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eco-washing-3169.html)

Bror Jace 06-18-2008 07:24 PM

Eco-Washing?

Sometimes, when I see it is raining out, I go outside and lather up my car in the driveway. I don't use a hose or anything else, just a wash mitt with some car soap on it.

I lather up the car thoroughly starting from the top and working my way down. Takes me about 5-10 minutes total.

If I time it right, and there's at least 15-20+ minutes of rain after I am done, the rain will completely rinse the car clean.

If I am REALLY lucky, I won't have to go anywhere until the rain stops and the roads are dry (like last night and today). Car looks like I just spent HOURS on it. :thumbup:

Anyone else do this?? :confused:

johnpr 06-18-2008 07:31 PM

havent done that but i should! when i lived in florida it rained 4 times a week during the summer, always durring the day and it was usually pretty short amount of time. i washed my trans am twice a week, hmm that would have saved a good amount of water...

MetroMPG 06-18-2008 07:53 PM

I've thought about it. Sounds good until I remember I'm going to be getting soaked while washing the car in the rain!

johnpr 06-18-2008 11:37 PM

^^as long as its a decent temp though thats part of the fun :) ^^

Bror Jace 06-18-2008 11:40 PM

"Sounds good until I remember I'm going to be getting soaked while washing the car in the rain!"

Where's your sense of adventure? :p

Seriously, I don't get too wet during the several minutes I'm out there ... and am usually in an old T-shirt and jeans when I do it. So who cares? And, If the rain is heavy enough, I wear a rain-repellent shell. :thumbup:

Yep, it saves time, water, and you have a car that's cleaner more often. One co-worker marveled at how I clean I was able to keep my black Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV. :cool:

TheDon 06-18-2008 11:41 PM

I am afraid to wash my car in the rain due to the FL thunderstorms;however, I do wash my car on my front lawn so all of the water goes into the grass. I use Maguires gold class car wash and my grass has never been greener :)

ttoyoda 06-18-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Sometimes, when I see it is raining out, I go outside and lather up my car in the driveway. I don't use a hose or anything else, just a wash mitt with some car soap on it.
I do that too. Gives the neighbors something to talk about. :p
I use a dustpan brush, because I worry a cloth or sponge or mitt could trap grit and scratch the paint. I figure a brush will not be able to press grit against the car paint.

Peakster 06-19-2008 01:43 AM

What a great idea since rainwater is usually really soft. As long as one carries an umbrella, a person shouldn't get wet either.

Johnny Mullet 06-19-2008 07:15 AM

I could not imagine me washing my Metro in the rain with a bucket of suds and a dripping wet mullet. I might get the neighbors excited.

NoCO2 06-19-2008 09:06 AM

I've thought of doing this, but the problem is two-fold for me. First thing, I live in an apartment complex, I'm not quite sure how they would feel about me filling the parking lot with we sudsy water. Secondly, I live in GA, and juuuust north of the city. If anyone has ever been about 10 miles north of Atlanta, you know that the weather is IMPOSSIBLE to predict, so if it starts raining, chances are it will stop just about the time I get the sponge wet for the first wipe at the car and then I'll just have a sudsy car. Thunderstorms seem to either miss my location by about 5 miles to the north or they literally just appear out of thin air right above my head, you can never tell.

Bror Jace 06-25-2008 08:04 PM

”I worry a cloth or sponge or mitt could trap grit and scratch the paint.”

I’ve thought about this … but conclude that it isn’t much more or any more harmful than washing your car with the same sponge or wash mitt and along with a hose. There are times, early in a rain … or during a very light rain, that I wish all the car surfaces were more wet and I fear a little extra abrasion. I suppose you could supplement the mitt with a modest pail of water. As it is, I wash the car from the top down and usually skip the wheels. The closer to the road you go, the more dirt and the greater chance for abrasion. I had a ‘95 Civic and after 7 years of my care (which included proper washings and 3-4 waxings per year) the paint looked nearly new in most places (except the front which appeared sand-blasted from all the highway travel).

” First thing, I live in an apartment complex, I'm not quite sure how they would feel about me filling the parking lot with we sudsy water. Secondly, I live in GA, and juuuust north of the city. If anyone has ever been about 10 miles north of Atlanta, you know that the weather is IMPOSSIBLE to predict, so if it starts raining, chances are it will stop just about the time I get the sponge wet for the first wipe at the car and then I'll just have a sudsy car.”

OK, I’m with you on the unpredictable weather. I have lathered up my car only to have the rain die off as I was doing so. The result is not that bad … a streaky dirty car instead of merely a dirty one. Nothing that makes the vehicle look odd or otherwise stand out.

Sudsy parking lot? :confused: Dude, it ain’t gonna happen. Seriously. You end up with just a little suds on your car …. Just enough to show you that there’s some soap there. Virtually no trace of soap by the time the water drips off and onto the pavement.

”I could not imagine me washing my Metro in the rain with a bucket of suds and a dripping wet mullet. I might get the neighbors excited.

Johnny, being the paragon of male studliness that you are, I feel you owe it to your neighbors and the even the greater community to put yourself on display and fuel those fantasies many women live for! If your car happens to get clean in the process, that’s just gravy. :thumbup:

Katana 06-26-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttoyoda (Post 36215)
I do that too. Gives the neighbors something to talk about. :p
I use a dustpan brush, because I worry a cloth or sponge or mitt could trap grit and scratch the paint. I figure a brush will not be able to press grit against the car paint.

If the grit doesn't the brush bristles will scratch the paint.

I don't have access to a outside tap in my block of flats, so i have to wash my car slightly differently. I went to the hardware store and bought 4 x 99p buckets, i use 2 for washing, and the other 2 with a watering can for rinsing.
I use poorboys slick and suds for the shampoo and lambswool wash mitts.
I could use the petrol station jet wash but the shampoo they use is a strong traffic film remover which strips any wax you've applied.

I'm a member of a car detailing forum as well A world for detailers...
If you want a good guide to washing your car then Good Washing Technique - Detailing World is very good.
Check out the other stickies in that section as well and the rest of forum, useful stuff on polishing and other things.

Sorry for hijacking a bit there, but you could adapt that washing technique like i have to save on water.

i_am_socket 06-26-2008 02:55 PM

My fiance and I will sometimes share a shower to "save water" ;-)

Probably shouldn't do that outside during a storm though. Might upset the neighbors.

Bror Jace 06-28-2008 03:48 PM

No apology needed, Katana. Any way of washing your car while using little or no tap water is perfectly on-topic. I too have used a watering can to supplement the rain once in a while when it petered out too soon.

" My fiance and I will sometimes share a shower to "save water." Probably shouldn't do that outside during a storm though. Might upset the neighbors."

Just the opposite ... they'd probably be entertained. Hey, between you and The Mullet, you'd have all the bases covered. :)

ttoyoda 06-28-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

I’ve thought about this … but conclude that it isn’t much more or any more harmful than washing your car with the same sponge or wash mitt and along with a hose.
Well my theory was that a sponge has pores or pockets in it. So if I pick up a piece of grit in a pore of the sponge, that grit will stay there, the sponge will act as a carrier and keep that grit pressed against the car. The brush on the other hand is (theoretically) unable to keep a piece of grit pressed against the paint, the grit would move up between the bristles.

Quote:

If the grit doesn't the brush bristles will scratch the paint.
I did not know that. I am using a dustpan brush with those very soft flayed (flagged) ends. I don't use it for anything else. Thanks for the links.

Bror Jace 07-05-2008 07:46 PM

" ... a sponge has pores or pockets in it. So if I pick up a piece of grit in a pore of the sponge, that grit will stay there, the sponge will act as a carrier and keep that grit pressed against the car."

And the same goes for a mitt. So, you wouldn't use either ... even with a large pail of water and a hose? I see your point ... and it is correct that these can trap grit and them create swirl marks. But, most people use these to wash cars ... and as long as the car regularly sees some wax, it doesn't appear to age the paint much, if at all.

The other night I heard the rain start to fall, so I went out, and lathered up the car only to have the rain stop. I grabbed a gallon jug full of water and a clean plastic squeeze bottle that formerly contained mustard. That's about all it took to rinse the soapy water off the car. The next morning the paint showed fine streaks if you looked closely ... but at a distance it looked like I really spent some time (and dozens of gallons of water) on it. :)

Tango Charlie 07-20-2008 12:04 AM

I'll try anything once. Well, almost anything.
The kids thought it was fun, too.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...ecowashing.jpg