EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Is Ecomodder an environmental website? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ecomodder-environmental-website-40976.html)

sgtlethargic 06-21-2023 02:59 PM

Is Ecomodder an environmental website?

I don't see a poll function, so people will have to reply to answer the question.

freebeard 06-21-2023 03:53 PM

You had your chance:
Quote:

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options
Show your signature
Automatically parse links in text
Automatically retrieve titles from external links
Disable smilies in text
Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt xls zip
Thread Subscription
Notification Type:

No email notification
Post a Poll
Yes, post a poll with this thread
Number of poll options:
(Maximum: 10)

redpoint5 06-21-2023 04:51 PM

My binary answer to the binary question is - no.

There are no threads discussing the environments of the Bog Buck Moth. There are no threads discussing the environments of the Panamanian golden frog. There are no threads discussing the environments of the scalloped hammerhead shark. There are no threads discussing the environments of the Black-footed ferret.

The only environments I regularly see discussed have to do with human ones, usually centered around how to heat or cool economically.

The home page shows a bunch of cars, indicating this is a website centered around automobiles. I saw no mention of any environment on the home page.

sgtlethargic 06-21-2023 05:04 PM

Hopefully some serious people will reply.

redpoint5 06-21-2023 05:34 PM

Ask serious questions, get serious responses.

You're not asking ANY questions to learn, but to impose your religious values on others by inciting other similarly-motivated folks to rebuke non-believers with personal insults.

freebeard 06-21-2023 05:54 PM

Petition the mods to nuke this thread and spawn a new one with the poll you want.

Seriously.

freebeard 06-21-2023 07:27 PM

Threadjack:

The reason to be optimistic is that things can change. Else things can't not change.

Current estimation of how far in the past our demise was, presume stagnant technology.

Bucky Fuller's favorite example of Synergy was metal alloys, more than the summation of their parts.

As it turns out, Terran Space Academy is a thorough, informative (dare I say serioous?) source for emergent technology. This episode would be 1/2 hour of your time at 1x.

Hydrocarbon Fuel Cell Breakthrough!

Introduction invokes metal hydrides and Appollo 13, but the second half gets really interesting. Nanoscale 3D printed metamaterials. Beyond Inconel to GRX-810. Structured alloys enable 50-60% efficient use of the hydrocarbons you despise.

Fuller always said that if we could improve the overall efficiency of everything taken as a whole (he put it at 8 to 12%) everyone could live better than kings. 25 to 60% efficiency in what we are already doing would get us there.

Also, New CPU Technology just Arrived �� IBM, Imec, Intel -- Anastasi In Tech. CPU will get 20% smaller and 24% more efficient. ....Real Soon Now...

oil pan 4 06-21-2023 09:02 PM

Nien

freebeard 06-21-2023 09:23 PM

[Permalink] Number nine.

rmay635703 06-22-2023 10:55 PM

Ecomodder historically had a thrifty hippie vibe with a definite old school view of conservation and environmentalism

Waste not want not.

Things were more open minded and project based.

Many here historically could have been considered liberal or environmentally focused despite running a twin cylinder diesel in a Geo
but a kurmudeony subset has taken root.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-23-2023 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 685458)
Many here historically could have been considered liberal or environmentally focused despite running a twin cylinder diesel in a Geo

For me it still sounds more reasonable than relying on coal-fed powerplants to recharge the batteries of a gigantic electric SUV just to go pick a bag of groceries.

freebeard 06-23-2023 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by may635703
but a kurmudeony subset has taken root.

[Looks around nervously]

Here's my thrifty hippie bona fides:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...-bahahaha2.jpg

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...-outa-town.jpg

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...1-100-0037.jpg

I only had that Forest Green Super for a little while. It would start on one revolution.

rmay635703 06-23-2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 685461)
For me it still sounds more reasonable than relying on coal-fed powerplants to recharge the batteries of a gigantic electric SUV just to go pick a bag of groceries.

My primary issue with US facing certain EVs is the cost, materials, waste aspects.

An EV should be small, light, thrifty.

My c-car is that way, focusing on semis and hummers is not only very expensive but also wastes a finite resource that could go in to make 10 or more small EVs, PHEVs or many more hybrids

If we had much larger supplies of batteries have at her it’s just at this point we have limited capacity that could be used more wisely

However that goes against capitalism freedom, Blergle brergle

Unfortunate it’s so difficult to sell a small cheap vehicle like an Aptera or “insert failure to launch here”

freebeard 06-23-2023 02:36 PM

Quote:

Blergle brergle
Is that like argle-bargle?

Quote:

An EV should be small, light, thrifty.
I can't find the picure of the city steet with all the cars replaced by FUVs. But it isn't just the batteries, it's parking spaces and everything else. Since I can't find that picture, here's my favorite color scheme:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....fcf&ipo=images
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?...f&ipo=images

By the way, I'm still watching for even a single vote for environmentalism in the poll thread I started.

Nissandriver 06-27-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 685483)
here's my favorite color scheme:

That´s the color scheme Brabham used in the 1960s. It reminds me of Rolling Rock beer. :)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-01-2023 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 685480)
An EV should be small, light, thrifty

Only problem would be fitting a battery pack large enough to prevent range anxiety. For people who rely on a single vehicle at home, often using a small one for budget reasons. An uncle of mine is willing to convert his Gurgel BR-800 to electric, which I don't expect to turn out any good actually...

Quote:

focusing on semis and hummers is not only very expensive but also wastes a finite resource that could go in to make 10 or more small EVs, PHEVs or many more hybrids
Had I been really into EVs, most likely my choice would be some random minivan, exactly in order to retain an useful interior volume while placing a reasonably-sized battery pack. Eventually some Japanese model with the engine under the front seats, and RWD, would have plenty of underbody room to fit the battery pack, and either hub-motors or some compact motor which wouldn't take much more space than the stock rear axle.

Quote:

Unfortunate it’s so difficult to sell a small cheap vehicle like an Aptera or “insert failure to launch here”
In contrast to Europeans and Asians who became more austere right after WWII, and many Latinos who grew up surrounded by European and Asian econoboxes, the average American was more influenced by a bigger-is-better marketing approach, leading to an entitlement mentality which rendered it easier to push those who think they "deserve" a V8 into a highly profitable full-size truck or SUV.

Piotrsko 07-01-2023 10:23 AM

What are you considering as reasonable sized battery pack? 66kwh fits in a bolt which isn't necessarily the largest sized vehicle. Not sure what I would do with 160 mile range if I had one in the ranger other than think of solar panels on the bed cover to recharge wheni mostly don't use it.

aerohead 07-03-2023 10:41 AM

' environmental'

Put me down for 'yes'. By default.:)

freebeard 07-03-2023 02:22 PM

You'll find opportunity in the ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/wtf-ecomodder-40977 thread.

It was created for OP to vote Environmentalism, but he didn't*. Two votes out of 44, so far.

*OP posted three times in that thread but never voted.

Gasoline Fumes 07-03-2023 11:55 PM

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...dding-256.html

redpoint5 07-04-2023 02:23 AM

"By default" just rubs me the wrong way. Didn't need to think, because default. Won't question default, because default.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-07-2023 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 685665)
What are you considering as reasonable sized battery pack?

Anything enough to not get stranded in the middle of nowhere during a road trip, at least enough to go between 2 or 3 fast-charging outlets en route from my hometown Porto Alegre to Curitiba, as in a regular car considering no more than 2 stops at gas stations for refuelling.

Piotrsko 07-08-2023 10:44 AM

So at least 350 kilometers between charges? Probably half of current all electrics could get that.

oil pan 4 07-09-2023 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 685710)
You'll find opportunity in the ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/wtf-ecomodder-40977 thread.

It was created for OP to vote Environmentalism, but he didn't*. Two votes out of 44, so far.

*OP posted three times in that thread but never voted.

Mental?

freebeard 07-09-2023 05:31 PM

Aren't we all? :)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-09-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 685831)
So at least 350 kilometers between charges? Probably half of current all electrics could get that.

Yet it would still not be suitable for some regional routes inside Rio Grande do Sul, due to the absence of fast-charging outlets. Range anxiety is still much of an issue, and most vehicles which could be considered reasonable to fit such a reasonably sized battery pack while remaining compact enough for a normal usage would be either harder to certify here, or need substantial improvements to the aerodynamics in order to retain a good highway range.