Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Ecomodder WM/Droid/Ios app/integration?

Is there an ecomodder app? any chance someone here at ecomodder has the savy to talk with a developer to get some integration?

what I would like to see is an app on my WM/Droid device where I can log my fuel economy and then have that info AUTOMATICALLY synced to my fuel log HERE on ecomodder !!!

That would be a nice thing to have.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 39.49 mpg (US)
I thought about this too when I got my Android phone... all the app would really need you to do is have you login to your EM account, select your vehicle, and then you enter the info, at least for a basic app.

But then, you're basically just creating an app to navigate through a couple of shortcuts for you. You still have to enter all the data. And if you're on a smartphone, you can just create a shortcut to your 'add entry to fuel log' on your own. And since I don't have the patience or knowledge to figure out how to make an app that does this, the shortcut works for me.

What would be cool is if there was a device that hooked into your car, like a Scangauge or MPGuino, that could automatically upload the data when you fill up by pressing a button. But then you would need to either hook the phone into an OBD2 port every time you drive, or use a bluetooth OBD2 thing, and have your phone accessing that while you drive. That would probably be a better option. But depending on how long your drive is, it may kill your battery life.

Actually, my phone (LG Ally) can be had for ~$75 on eBay now, so if there's a bluetooth OBD2 sensor and an MPG app available for less than $75, then you've got a full color, touchscreen scangauge competitor for the same price, that has wifi capability. And you also get a GPS and mp3 player (although I'm not sure if/how GPS would works without a data service plan). Or even an OBD2 -> USB adapter that also provides power so the phone doesn't die.

Wow, thinking about it now, that would be a pretty cool option over a Scangauge.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
No that won't work because its no different than loading a web page which just does not work well on such a small touch screen interface.

what we need is an existing (or new but similar to existing) app that is local finger friendly and JUST does the basics (miles gallons price notes) and then in the background ON ITS OWN without user intervention sends the data to your account on ecomodder.

unless they already have an API this would require coordinated work from both ecomodder and a developer to "make the link"

for now I just want to automate the process of convenient "AT THE PUMP" data entry and then have the app itself "sync" that data with ecomodder.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You could just bookmark the "Add new fillup" page on your phone and input data there.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
Tried it. does not work. My phone is not the fastest critter on the block but its "ok" at most sites. ecomodder just does not work.

I can browse around but as soon as I click "garage" the slow down begins. if I can fast I can get my username in and part of my password in sometimes (but not always) and I have to use landscape keyboard out and I have to use the stylus.

after 10 minutes I gave up. it was so slow it became unresponsive and it was still loading the page. something on the garage entry page is "active" code or something and just bogs it down until the "force close" unresponsive window pops up and crashes the browser.

this is why I desire a native app. if it takes more than 60 seconds (and even thats pushing it) people just are not going to do it. sure the hard core few might but the general style people just won't

its why I don't. sometimes if I have paper pen handy I will try to write it down but I usually forget or lose my notes etc.. or I find them later and enter them then etc..

it might get easier now that I have a few apps to play with (for whatever strange reason there is just NO good or even usable mileage log apps for windows mobile. very strange.

I got 4 for android I am going to play with.

the last thing we need is to simply sync that data to ecomodder. would be very cool.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Darin just did work yesterday to speed up the garage loading times so it should be better. Also, if you bookmark 'add a fillup' you shouldn't have to go to the main garage page which should be the only slow one.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
actually the main page loaded fine. its the "garage" page that killed the browser.

the problem is I need to log in and that page on the garage page kills the browser. I was hoping if I could just get past the login and have the browser remember the info I could "scoot past" it before it bogged the browser down but I can't get past the password entry. it bogs before I can finish entering it.

its partially my phone not being super fast but other "bog" sites like my bank sites work fine just a wee slow. the garage page KILLS the browser dead.

SO I can't bookmark add a fillup until I can log in :-)

I am going to try logging in from a different page and see what happens.

either way its NOT efficient its NOT fast required keyboard open in landscape and requires the stylus.

these are all bad things while your sitting at the gas station wanting to "leave" :-)

for now it will be easier to use an app to take the info and then later transpose that info to ecomodder. much easier much faster.

it would just be nice if it was automated.

if I found a mileage tracker developer willing to work with you guys would you guys at ecomodder be willing to work with the developer to get some integration or sync going?

is there an API ?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
I was able to log in by going to the forum page.

once I did that I went back to garage and ALMOST did not make it to my vehicle page before it bogged down the browser (something on that page REALLY does not agree with my browser) no problems on the PC just on the phone.

I will try it in windows mobile later and see how it goes from there. too

Alas the browser did NOT ask me to remember the user/pass (maybe it just does it ??) which would make this moot if I have to cobble together a round about way to log all the time. I wonder if the link to the "fill" page specific to my car? ie will it invoke a log in page or just route me to the GM log page (which would kill the browser)

either way too slow too annoying to do "in the car" so I won't be doing it that way. I just do not have a desire to sit at the gas station an extra 4 or 5 minutes trying to fill out the form :-)
Old 08-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
holy crap. I now KNOW why it killed my browser. I never realized how BIG that page was. it lists the top 1000 entries !! holy crap. its huge :-) mental note AVOID that page on the phone :-) hehe
Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Wow. I think this is a good idea also. I have a WM6 device, but can also use a PalmOS gizmo... I like the idea of being able to add to the fuel log via a mobile device.

Reply  Post New Thread